P&G Introduces The Orgullosa Project To Offer Its Community The Opportunity To Give Back To Notable Hispanic Organizations!
MECA needs YOU! The Orgullosa Project is giving $100,000 and YOUR vote can decide how much funding MECA will receive! Click on the link here
, then click "Like" Orgullosa on the app, and vote for MECA by clicking on the "Votar" button! Please share this link http://bit.ly/16bNMt2
on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #Orgullosa Project, and have your friends vote for MECA!
Proctor & Gamble's program The Orgullosa Project is an initiative to highlight organizations that are positively impacting the Hispanic community across the country and inspire Latinas to give back via a donation on the Orgullosa Facebook page. The Orgullosa Project will feature MECA, The Puerto Rican Family Institute, Mujeres Latinas en Acci�n, La Liga Contra el Cancer and the Mexican American Opportunity Foundation - organizations across the country that have a long standing reputation of servicing Hispanic communities with dedicated resources. A total donation of $100,000 will be made among the five organizations. Voting ends June 30, 2013.
MECA Summer Arts Day Camp
June 17 - July 26, 2013
Register now by calling Esmeralda Tobias at 713-802-9370 ext. 16 or Armando Silva at 713-802-9370 ext. 18.
Tuition starts at a sliding scale (with proof of income) of $60 to a maximum of $150 per week, plus non-refundable $30 registration fee. Discounts for two or more children in same family household.
Summer class hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on June 17 through July 26. Doors open at 7:30 a.m. for early birds with an additional $25 fee per week. Extended day program until 5 p.m. for an additional $25 fee per week.
Summer Arts Program
- Ballet Folklorico
- Visual Arts
- Life Skills
- African Drum and Dance
- Mosaic Art
- B.E.A.T.S. - Bringing Electronic Arts to Students
- Robotics, Electronics and Music
MECA's Summer Arts Day Camp is an intensive six-week course that includes a wide range of arts activities, as well as academic services, recreation and field trips. In addition to arts programming, MECA integrates counseling, academic enrichment, and family support to ensure that youth, families, and the community are served in a holistic manner. The program runs Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. during which time youth are instructed in a different arts discipline every hour. A free lunch and snack is provided courtesy of the City of Houston Summer Food Service Program.
An important addition has been added to the MECA Summer Arts Program! MECA, in collaboration with Community Family Centers, will offer a Robotics, Electronics and Music class for 6th, 7th and 8th grade level students. The Robotics, Electronics and Music classes will explore the links between robotics and electronics and their relationship to sound engineering principals by turning sound into music. This program is graciously funded by United Way of Greater Houston.
Senior High School Students! The MECA Summer Arts Day Camp is a great opportunity for students to volunteer for their community service!
Sign up today!
MECA Is Hiring!
MECA is seeking part-time interns for the Summer Arts Day Camp and the Robotics, Electronics and Music class during the summer arts program. (See "MECA Summer Arts Day Camp" section for a description of the class.)
Part-time positions available:
Please contact Liz Salinas at 713-802-9370 ext. 24 for more information regarding the following positions and email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- University Engineer Interns (Junior or Senior college level) 20 hours per week for 8 weeks, 8:30 a.m. to12:30 p.m., June 3 to July 26, 2013. Interns will teach 6th to 8th grade students simple electronics and guide them through various hands on electronics projects. Interns will be supervised by project director and provided curriculum, direct support and necessary equipment for student project fulfillment. Applicants should be able to demonstrate working knowledge of basic electronics theory and circuit concepts including Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Law, capacitors, operational amplifiers, and transistors. Interest with hobby electronics through kit building, arduino projects and other electronic DIY activities is also desirable. Applicants should be familiar with using standard electronics equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeters, function generators, soldering irons, and bread boards.
- Intern Project Coordinator (Junior or Senior college level). Must have administrative experience, science and music background is a plus. Will assist Consulting Engineer and Support Services Director and help with registration, 30 hours per week for 8 weeks, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., June 3 to July 26, 2013.
Please contact Armando Silva at 713-802-9370 ext. 18 for more information regarding the Summer Arts Youth Counselor positions and email resume to email@example.com.
- Summer Arts Youth Counselors (College level or graduate) 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks to guide K-8 students to classes, lunch and field trips, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Mali in May! Master Dance Class with Solo Sana on Friday, May 24 and Thursday, May 30 at 7 p.m.
KoumanKe'le' African Dance & Drum Ensemble present Souleymane "Solo" Sana for his first visit to Texas! Souleymane Solo Sana has an extensive knowledge of traditional dances of the Mande culture. He performed with one of the premiere companies of Mali, Ballet Du District de Bamako, as well as with internationally known artists such as Djeneba Seck and Oumou Sangare. Join MECA and KoumanKe'le' African Dance & Drum Ensemble for this master class opportunity!
Friday, May 24, 7 p.m.
Thursday, May 30, 7 p.m.
MECA, 1900 Kane Street, Second Floor Studio
$15 for general public
$10 for students
Pay at the door.
MECA Ballet Folkl�rico Offers Intense Master Classes for Youth, June 3 - June 14.
June 3 - June 14, 2013
Monday and Wednesday, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Beginners I Class (ages 5-10 years)
Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Intermediate (ages 8-14 years)
Advanced (ages 12 years and older)
Call Julio Lopez at 713-802-9370 for more information.
Girls Rock Camp Houston At MECA
July 29 - August 2, 2013
Girls Rock Camp Houston (GRCH) is dedicated to empowering girls and young women of all backgrounds and abilities through musical education and creative expression. Girls Rock Camp Houston is a one-week summer day camp formed to offer girls (ages 8-18 years old) music and self-empowerment based workshops. GRCH will offer campers the opportunity to form a band, write an original song, and perform the song live at the end of the GRCH End of Camp Showcase held at a live music venue at the end of the week long session.
This year's Girls Rock Camp Houston is shaping up to be the biggest one yet! Due to the increasing number of campers, Girls Rock Camp Houston will be held at MECA this summer. Registration and medical release forms will be available on the Girls Rock Camp Houston website
. Registration deadline is July 1, 2013.
July 29 - August 2, 2013
MECA, 1900 Kane Street
For more information, visit the Girls Rock Camp Houston website or call 713-518-7365.
Volunteer for MECA Today!
Volunteer opportunities available at MECA! Please contact Angie Moreno at 713-802-9370 ext. 14 or Armando Silva at ext 18 for more information. Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
and sign up today!
- Seeking volunteers ages 16 to adult
- Administrative Support
- Summer Arts Day Camp Youth Counselors responsible for guiding students K - 8th grade to classes, lunch and field trips.
- Shifts available:
- 7:30 a.m. to 12 noon
- 12 noon to 5 p.m.