M4 At Your Office Marilyn H. West is available to visit your place of business and discuss topics that she has covered in
Marilyn's Monday Morning Message.
Please call 804.782.1938 for more information.
Wearing a Coat with a Zip Out Lining
Volume II, Issue 5
Managing the expected and unexpected represents the "playground " of leaders. Individuals who reach this distinguished class are required to respond rapidly and strategically to matters brought on to a large degree from people who are diverse in their backgrounds, experiences and capabilities. I have found comfort in wearing a "Coat with a Zip Out Lining" to help adjust to the variation in matters that are placed before me.
When I am not sure that I can address adequately a matter, I use the lining as additional protection from the clutter that can disrupt my focus. When feeling at the top of my game in extending guidance, assistance or words of wisdom, I remove the lining. While leaders use different gear to sustain their role, it should equip them at a minimum with capability to obtain and apply knowledge, transform vision into action, communicate effectively, demonstrate compassion and commitment, inspire and innovate.
The gold standard of leadership can be a moving target; once you reach one standard, there is another that you want to achieve. Below, in no particular order of preference, are a few steps that I have taken to stay inspired on my leadership journey in addition to wearing a "Coat with a Zip out Lining":
1. View the whole issue as opposed to its parts (but look for relationships between the parts)
2. Strive to get out in front of challenges and opportunities before either require a crisis response
3. Create pathways to connect and build relationships with other leaders
4. Embrace the significant asset of technology; it provides for communicating rapidly your perspective and opinion on matters of importance
5. Avoid arrogance under all circumstances; the individuals you pass when you climb the ladder to success are the very same people that may be able to help you break a fall or tumble from this state
6. Take time periodically to stay in touch with yourself as becoming a stranger could result into some unnecessary missteps
7. Keep your value principles in your front pocket along with practices that promote healthy living, happiness and humor
If you are interested in strategies for learning more about customizing a Coat with a Zip Out Lining to support your leadership or that of your team, Connect with Marilyn West today - email@example.com.
Please also connect with Marilyn to schedule a "Brown Bag Lunch" sessions.