(Almost) Everything You Want to Know About Groups But Are Afraid to Ask!
02.04.12 | How to Create a Viable Group Topic
04.07.12 | Screening and Intake Questions for Support and Therapy Groups
06.09.12 | Practical Matters: Group FAQ's for Facilitators
08.04.12 | Common Participant Roles and their Impact on Group Functioning
10.6.12 | Group Members Leaving
12.1.12 | Navigating Group Conflicts
Each workshop includes an overview of the topic, followed by questions and answers. Workshops are freely offered to therapists, interns and students. All workshops are held from 3:30pm to 5:00pm on Saturdays and typically take place in San Francisco, except on June 9th!
June 9th | Practical Matters: Group FAQ's for Facilitators
Group leaders attend to a variety of details about how their group is run. Issues pertaining to format, style, boundaries and member agreements are amongst a myriad of topics. This workshop will offer an open forum to address how some of these issues are subjectively held, including perspectives of pros and cons. Suggested areas of discussion involve the following:
- Money Matters: Fees allotted for intakes, missed sessions and sliding scale availability.
- Group length: Reviewing the parameters around group length and longevity, frequency and member commitments.
- Group size: Minimum and maximum participants, dynamics related to group size and co-facilitator logistics.
- Group Norms: Discussing absent members, handling payments and socializing outside of group.
- Group Format: From little to no structure, beginning and ending groups, summarizing sessions and homework.
- Termination: Guidelines for ways of ending groups and dealing with early or unexpected terminations.
- Day & Time: Optimal days and times and those to avoid.
Change in venue! This seminar will take place at the Rockridge Library in Oakland [5366 College Avenue, Oakland, 94618] on Saturday, June 9th from 3:30-5:00. The library is approximately 5 blocks from BART. Please RSVP as space is limited. No CEU's will be provided.