My Place to Learn, Discover, Relax!
- Welcome to Neil Derksen, Charlotte Hall's new branch manager.
- Leonardtown's reference librarian Karen Boyd has retired after 26 years of service. We wish her well in her next "chapter."
- Lexington Park Library parking lot will be closed on Sat, May 5, until noon due to the Pride in the Park Parade, but the library will be open. The parking areas of the library and fire department are being used for the parade staging. Come to the parade and watch the Library's Book Cart Drill Team and Book Guard as well as the WoW! van. The parade starts at 10 AM. Cheer us on!
- The Master Gardener's Plant Clinics have resumed. Stop by with your plant questions 11 AM-1 PM on 1st & 3rd Tuesdays at Lexington Park; 10 am -12 noon on 1st & 3rd Saturdays at Charlotte Hall and 11 AM-1 PM on 2nd & 4th Tuesdays at Leonardtown.
- Making your summer plans? Don't forget to include our Summer Reading programs and activities. The reading programs are for babies through teens and begin June 4. Watch for more details next month.
- Summer Reading t-shirts go on sale May 14. Be sure to get yours before they are sold out. $5 for children's and adults $6.
- An opening reception will be held on 5-8 PM on Wed, May 9, for local artists Tammy Vitale and Mary Ida Rolape whose artwork is on display at the Lexington Park Library Art Gallery through June 14. Artists interested in displaying artwork at the library gallery should contact Candy Cummings at 301-863-6693.
- All three libraries will be closed Monday, May 28, for Memorial Day. Charlotte Hall will be closed until 1 PM on Friday, May 4, for staff training.
|Friends Annual Dinner
features author J. Carlton Sharp
Monday, May 14, 6 PM
Cafe des Artistes in Leonardtown
J. Carlton Sharp, author of The Barns of Southern Maryland, will be the guest speaker at Friends of St. Mary's County Library annual dinner. Dinner is $35 per person and reservations are due by May 8. Click here for reservation form.
Charlotte Hall has a new branch manager
Neil Derksen is Charlotte Hall's new branch manager, filling the vacancy created when former Branch Manager Mary Anne Bowman accepted the branch manager position at Lexington Park in December.
"After a nationwide search and a thorough interview process, I am certain we have selected another dynamic branch manager for our library system," states Library Director Kathleen Reif.
Derksen has a Masters in Library Science from Indiana University. Upon graduation, he spent 3 years in northern Japan as an assistant language teacher. The past 5 years he worked in Gwinnett County Public Library system in the metro Atlanta region.
He also writes reviews of musical and culinary nonfiction as well as graphic novels for Library Journal.
Stop in and give him a warm St. Mary's County welcome.
Karen Boyd Begins a New Chapter
Karen Boyd, Reference Librarian at Leonardtown, has retired after 26 years of service. She began her library career as a children's librarian at Leonardtown and eventually became a reference librarian. The Board of Library Trustees presented her with an engraved travel clock which can be set to show the time in 12 different countries which should be quite handy as she pursues her goal to travel.
Regular storytimes will end May 4. Summer storytimes will begin June 25.
Lexington Park, Wed, May 2, 6 PM
Charlotte Hall & Leonardtown, Thurs, May 3, 6 PM
LEGO Fun Charlotte Hall & Leonardtown, Thurs, May 3, 6:30 PM for all ages
Read. Learn. Grow.
Drop in & enjoy fun, interactive reading activities with your child. All ages.
Lexington Park, Mon, May 7, 10 AM
Charlotte Hall, Tues, May 8, 10 AM
Leonardtown, Sat, May 12, 10:30 AM
Ages 3-6 can enjoy a variety of parachute games
Charlotte Hall, Mon, May 7, 10 AM
Leonardtown, Mon, May 7, 10 AM
Lexington Park, Mon, May 14, 10:30 AM
SUMMER FUN begins June 4.
Summer Reading programs begin June 4. Professional Performances kick off June 25. Summer activities start the week of June 25. View summer schedule.
Fun with Your Little One flyers provide activity suggestions
These flyers contain fun activities to entertain your child while you are on the go in the community. Perfect to use during the upcoming spring recess. They are available at the libraries or download here
Would you like to work at the summer reading table registering participants and handing out prizes? If you are entering 6th grade this fall, you can apply. Applications are available at the branches or download here. Applications are due by May 12.
Summer Reading Volunteers Needed
Note: The selection of summer volunteers has changed. Due to the number of applications received, we might not accept all applicants. Those selected will be notified by May 16 and will need to attend a training session.
Summer Fun begins June 4 Register...read ... and earn chances to win great prizes in Own the Night Summer Reading program. Other summer activities that are planned include Teen Talent Show, Minute to Win It, Video Editing and a Virtual Scavenger Hunt. Watch for details.
Poetry Open Mic
Poets and fans of any age,
Bring a poem and take the stage.
Share a favorite or one you have written,
Or grab a friend and have a listen!
Wed, May 9, 6:30 PM, Leonardtown Library
NEW!! Books, Coffee & Conversation
Calling all adults! Come and enjoy coffee and engaging conversation with other adults as well as share books you have read or listened to.
Tues, May 14, 1:00 PM, Leonardtown
Tues, May 15, 10:30 AM, Lexington Park
Starting a Small Business?
Receive information on starting and financing a business at this free workshop conducted by the Small Business Administration. Learn about the programs and services they offer; the process of developing a business plan; financing credit; and available tools to help you get started. No registration required.
Leonardtown, Fri, May 4, 9:30-11:30 AM
Charlotte Hall, Wed, May 9, 9:30-11:30 AM
Talk about a good book!
Join us for any of these book discussions. Books are available at hosting library.
Life as We Knew It
by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Mon, May 7, 7 PM
Three Men in a Boat
by Jerome K. Jerome
Mon, May 14, 6 PM
The Tiger's Wife
by Tea Obreht
Thurs, May 24, 7 PM
Click here for List of 2012 Book Discussion Titles
Computer Classes--Registration required for all classes
Basic classes: Introduction to Computers, Windows, Internet, and email will be offered at Lexington Park in May.
One-on-one instruction is available at all three branches. Call the library for an appointment.
Upcoming Classes other than Basic:
Introduction to Publisher 2010
May 7, 2-4 PM, Leonardtown
May 23, 5:30-7:30 PM Lexington Park
I took these pictures...now what?
May 17, 2-4 PM, Charlotte Hall
Intermediate Publisher 2010
June 4, 2-4 PM, Leonardtown
Get More From Google
June 5, 5:30-7:30 PM, Lexington Park
Click here for complete class schedule and to register.
|Mark your calendars
Oscar Film Fest, Fridays at 2 PM at Lexington Park
June 1, Hugo
June 8, The Help
June 15, Beginnings
June 22, The Artist
Musical Showcase by Bella Music School Students
June 2, 2-4 PM, Lexington Park
Library enters MOU with St. Mary's County Public School
New Student Resource Page created
The Library and St. Mary's County Public Schools formalized their partnership with a Memorandum of Understanding outlining the planned activities and responsibilities of each organization to help students succeed in school and be college and career ready.
One of the new initiatives is the creation of an online Student Resources page available on our website and the individual school's.
St. Mary's County Public School Board members and Library Board members and staff at the recent signing of the MOU.
HelpNow! Free online homework help
Got homework? Need help? Use HelpNow! Available 2-11 PM daily.
Back to What's New
Marilyn Lash, Publicity Specialist
St. Mary's County Library