City of Redwood CityMedia Advisory
For Immediate Release                                                         

November 20, 2013



Jim Palisi, Fire Marshal

Redwood City Fire Department



Fire Logo  



Holiday/Winter Fire and Carbon Monoxide Facts from The Redwood City-San Carlos Fire Departments and National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA)


General Message

The Fire Department wants residents to understand that winter fires and carbon monoxide poisoning are serious and prevalent threats during the holiday/winter season. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in homes are vital.


Facts about Home Holiday Fires and the Winter Season

  • One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
  • Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 40 reported home structure Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 142 total reported home structure fires.
  • A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six of Christmas tree fires.
  • More than half (56%) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle.
  • December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. In December, 11% of home candle fires began with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.905 people die in winter home fires each year.
  • $2,091,000,000 in property loss occurs from winter home fires.
  • 67 percent of winter fires occur in one and two-family homes.
  • Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
  • 5 to 8pm is the most common time for winter home fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Also known as CO, carbon monoxide is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces - appliances used at a higher rate over the holidays and winter season.


Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness

High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:

  • Mental confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of muscular coordination
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Ultimately death

If you are working on a story about holiday fire safety and are interested in learning more statistics and information, please call Jim Palisi, Fire Marshal, Redwood City Fire Department. 



(sent by)

Sheri Costa-Batis 

Communications and Public Engagement Manager

City of Redwood City, California


Office:     650.780.7305

Cell:        650.273.3099

Fax:         650.780.7225




Street:     1017 Middlefield Road

                  Redwood City, CA 94063


Subscribe to receive Redwood City E-News, news releases, or other documents via email

Go to to subscribe

Please think Green before printing this e-mail


This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.