- CAIR: Mike Pompeo's Allies on the Anti-Muslim Right (The Atlantic)
In 2014, 2015, and 2016 he spoke at ACT for America's annual conference, in the final year winning its National Security Eagle Award. When Pompeo was named CIA Director, Gabriel called him "a steadfast ally of ours."
- Video: CAIR-Minnesota Urges Mosques to Boost Security After Arrest of Terror Bombing Suspects
- Video: CAIR-Arizona Director Responds to Islamophobic Rant, Trespassing at Mosque
- CAIR-Arizona: Horrifying Videos Show Racist Moms Teaching Kids to Be 'Patriots' by Vandalizing a Mosque
"The most jarring thing about the video is clearly the fact there are children involved, indoctrinated to hate people based off their belief system or what they look like or the color they are. You can see that unfolding in real time," said Imraan Siddiqi, the executive director of the Arizona chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
- CAIR-NY: Vandal Scrawls 9/11 Graffiti at Mosque Site
Albert Cahn, legal director for CAIR's New York chapter, also said the incident seems to reflect a growing pattern.
"It's always disappointing when we have vandalism at a house of worship," Cahn said. "Queens is a symbol of diversity and inclusion."
Cahn said there has been a 10-fold increase in the last two years of hate-related or discriminatory incidents directed toward Muslims across New York State.
"It's mosques, children in school, discrimination at work or Muslims just walking down the street," he said, adding that the Hate Crimes Task Force was a valuable partner in their mission.
Cahn said his organization and the city must remain vigilant whether the source of the graffiti turns out to be a person capable of violence or teenagers pulling what they might have considered to be a prank.
"Regardless of context, it is incumbent on the community to condemn this hatred," he said.
- CAIR-NY: Mepham Senior Opens Minds With Second Annual Culture Night
For this year's event, held on March 1, Afaf Nasher, executive director of New York's chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, gave a talk about her work as an attorney, and the rise of anti-Muslim hate crimes that she, and CAIR, have been handling.
Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Ave, S.E., Washington, D.C., 20003
Council on American-Islamic Relations Copyright © 1994. All rights reserved.