NEW! Increased Tuition Benefit (total of $4,360
per year) for employees enrolled in
college credit courses, working towards an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree, or a for-credit certificate program.
REVISED Professional Development Benefit ($2,000
per year) for courses, certification training, and conferences that
enhance the staff/faculty member’s contribution to the University. In order to assess professional development opportunities, they
must meet one or more of these criteria:
- Career growth-related
- Developmental opportunity outlined in the staff/faculty member’s development plan; for staff, the development plan is part of the Lead@UVa performance management process.
For both benefits:
- Maximum combined amount annually - $4,360
- Approval needed prior to the educational event
- Books, travel, and equipment are not reimbursed
- Appeals process available
What's being eliminated?
Personal enrichment courses (those formerly offered by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and other entities as part of community education). The funding used for these courses is being redirected into payment for degree-related courses.
Who has been involved as part of the decision-making process?
Staff Senate, University Human Resources, HR in the Academic Community, Payroll, Office of Sponsored Programs, and the President's Cabinet.
Coming soon for you:
- Program guide
- Self-service how-to resource
- Website updates to help you understand the changes
Next steps for HR (both planned for early 2017):
- System changes
- Policy revision