TOWN BOARD SELECTS
A BUILDING PLAN
FOR VOTERS' CONSIDERATION
The saga of what is to become of the Red Brick Schoolhouse and the Community Center took one huge step forward at a special meeting of the Town Board on June 20th, The Board selected a building plan to be considered by voters at a special meeting of town electors later this summer. Details of the chosen plan include:
- Demolition of the Red Brick Schoolhouse
- Remodeling and re-purposing of the Community Center to become a "field house" style recreation center with a full basketball court, large exercise (fitness) room, walking track and the ability to accommodate additional activities such as baseball batting practice, golf driving practice, pickle ball and volleyball and others.
- Construction of a new building attached to the remodeled Community Center to include:
- An acoustically pleasant, lower than gymnasium ceiling height hall to accommodate large events such as town meetings, banquets, craft shows, summer bingo, multiple smaller meetings and private events including weddings, and more.
- A kitchen and bathrooms
- Storage areas
- Town offices and meeting rooms
The projected cost of the project would, if approved by voters, result in a 20-year loan with annual payments increasing town property tax bills by $75-$85 per $1,000,000 of assessed valuation ($150-$170 for a property valued at $200,000, $225-$255 for a property valued at $300,000).
Public informational meetings are tentatively scheduled for the latter part of July with the special elector meeting, where a binding vote will be conducted to proceed or not, to follow in August. Finalized dates for these events will be announced when known.