FREDERICKSBURG, VIRGINIA, April 28, 2017
- Central Rappahannock Regional Library (CRRL) is holding a
on Saturday, May 6, in downtown Fredericksburg. Registration begins at 10 a.m. at
, followed by
a robotics demonstration by Kilroy Robotics at 10:30 a.m.
The competition will take place on private property adjacent to City Dock, located near the end of Sophia Street, starting at 11:00 a.m. Dave Shotwell of Kilroy Robotics will be our guest judge.
Trebuchets are a type of catapult. Full-sized trebuchets were used during medieval times to smash down castle walls during sieges. Contestants can make their trebuchets at home or in a library
. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories: Middle School, High School, Adult, Family.
Schedule of Events:
10:00 a.m. - Registration
at Headquarters Library
a.m. - Kilroy Robotics
demonstration at Headquarters Library
a.m. - Competition adjacent to City Dock
- You must have a name for your trebuchet.
- The dimensions of your trebuchet may be no larger than 2 x 2 x 2 feet.
- CRRL will provide projectiles which are less than 2 inches in diameter.
- Projectiles must remain intact until they hit the ground.
- All trebuchets must be propelled by gravity (no springs, no elastics, no compressed air or water, no explosives).
- CRRL judges are the final arbiters on safety.