Teaching Tips: Advanced Edition
Happily, some advanced students like to return semester after semester, so refreshing the content is key. Check out these activities recommended by veteran volunteers in our programs.
- Give students a task that requires communication, such as giving advice. Assign questions from Dear Abby columns to groups of students and ask them to come up with solutions.
- Ask students to give a presentation on wedding customs -- or superstitions or the educational system -- in their country. Discuss the similarities and differences. Students are eager to talk about what they know!
- Read a book aloud. One very ambitious class tackled Gone with the Wind.
- Read or perform a play such as The Odd Couple.
- Incorporate songs.
- Cut out Washington Post headlines that contain idioms and discuss them.
- Discuss idioms that are associated with a theme, such as sports or Native Americans.
Do you have a favorite activity for beginning or intermediate students? Please let us know at email@example.com.