|We're anticipating an especially active month as the back-to-school shopping season comes into full swing here in the U.S. From brand new kindergarteners to incoming college freshmen, parents are spending. A combined total of $83.8 billion is projected to be spent preparing for the upcoming school year. We know many of you will explore the opportunity tied to this trend, so in this month's newsletter we share some insight and advice on this annual tradition.|
Of course, for most, school's still out for summer. We've highlighted several merchants with great summer deals. It's never too late to get the most out of what's left of this (never quite long enough) season.
As always, we're focused on your success with VigLink, and you can contact us anytime at email@example.com, on Facebook, or Twitter.
Oliver Roup, CEO
|Back to School: Spending 101|
The time has come for back-to-school, the second-largest consumer spending event of the year (after the year-end holiday season). How can affiliate marketers tailor their strategy to make the most of back-to-school spending? To help provide some answers, we took a look at the data.
Every year, the National Retail Federation partners with BIGinsight to conduct the go-to survey on back-to-school and back-to-college shopping trends. This July they asked 8,509 U.S. consumers about their spending plans. Based on these responses, 2012 is expected to reach the highest spending levels on record. So what types of products and merchants should affiliate marketers focus on?
Let's first consider who will be making the back-to-school purchases this year. According to this survey:
And when do they start pulling out the credit card?
- Incoming college freshmen (and their parents) are expected to far outspend the K-12 shoppers
- Surprisingly, men (mostly Dads) plan to spend more than the women - an average of $739.75 on items such as clothes, shoes, supplies, and electronics.
- And don't forget the students themselves - 18-24 years olds are planning to spend $1,044.22 on back-to-college expenses.
Perhaps most importantly, what are students and parents spending all this money on?
- Most people don't wait until the last minute. About 2/3rds of shoppers plan to start shopping early - as early as one month before school starts. There's no time like the present!
With almost 40% of adults indicating that they'll shop online for back-to-school, this is no doubt a huge opportunity for affiliate marketers. How, then, to capitalize on this trend? Act now, tailor your messages to those who spend the most, and link to products on back-to-school shopping checklists. The opportunity is ripe for the picking, and we're eager to see the creative ways in which affiliate marketers use this season to their advantage. Have a winning strategy for back-to-school? Let us know!
- Overall, electronics and clothing are seeing the lion's share of spending.
- 6 out of 10 parents indicate that they will invest in some sort of electronic device this year for school, spending a predicted average of $217.88.
- 54% of college students will buy a new computer, mp3 player, smartphone, or other device - up 8% from last year.
- Students and parents predict that they'll spend a combined average of $246.10 on clothes, and $129.20 on shoes. That's almost $400 on apparel alone.
- Popular back-to-school shopping checklists are great indicators of what students and parents might purchase. Things like noise cancelling headphones, for example, are practical but not always top-of-mind for affiliate marketers.