CONGRATULATIONS to our Small Business & Charity of the Year nominees!
Join us as we honor this year's nominees at our annual Awards Dinner this Tuesday, August 6 at 5:30 pm at Big Cedar Lodge - Grandview Ballroom.
Small Business Nominees Charity Nominees
Branson Nephrology/Dialysis Branson-Hollister Lion's Club
Danna's BarBQue Gift of Hope
IMAX Entertainment Complex Jesus Was Homeless
PatientPAL Simmering Center
LAST CHANCE FOR TICKETS! Dinner tickets are $45 per person. Contact Shelly Vorhaben at 417-334-4084, ext. 314, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to make reservations.
A Note from the President
It all began with the water. I don't know what the Native Americans called the river that we know as Taneycomo, but given that our history of tourism began on its banks and multiplied after the addition of Table Rock Dam, we should pay special attention to the legacy that we will leave to the next generations. That's why the meetings planned in August by the Corps of Engineers and the long-range Master Plan are very important and why anyone interested in the long-term future of one of our most precious assets should make an effort to attend. The meetings will present a draft revised Master Plan for Table Rock Lake, and the Corps will be asking for our comments regarding alternative plans and their potential impacts. There will be four meetings, beginning August 14 at the Dewey Short Visitor Center, August 15 at the Shell Knob Central Community United Methodist Church and August 16 at the Table Rock Gathering Hall in Kimberling City. These first three meetings will be held from Noon to 4 pm and 6-8 pm. The fourth meeting will be on August 17 back at the Dewey Short Center from 9 am to 3 pm Your interest and input is vital to securing our lakes - hope to see you there!
Out & About with Our Members
Business After Hours at White River Valley Electric Cooperative
Dust off your grass skirts and leis and join us on Thursday, August 1 from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm at White River Valley Elective Cooperative for the "BAH Bash Luau". This annual event is a partnership between White River Valley Electric Cooperative and the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce to benefit the White River Valley Electric Scholarship Trust. The cost is $5 per person and the event is open to Chamber members and the general public.
First Friday Coffee with Friends at Dick's Old Time 5 & 10
Join us on Friday, August 2 from 7:00 am to 8:00 am for First Friday Coffee with Friends at Dick's Old Time 5 & 10. This FREE, casual event is a great opportunity for you to network with a variety of other Chamber member businesses. It is strongly encouraged that your bring a good supply of business cards and be ready to pass them around. For more information or to RSVP, click here or contact Emily Sutliff at email@example.com.
Branson Business Connection Luncheon on Friday, August 23
Don't miss the August BBC on Friday, August 23 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm (location TBA). This month's networking luncheon is brought to you by Penrod Financial Group, Franklin Chiropractic at Tri-Lakes Chiropractic and White River Business Specialists. Bring plenty of business cards and other materials to share with fellow Chamber members. For more information contact Emily Sutliff at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to RSVP.
City of Branson
Street Changes in Downtown Branson
Motorists in Branson should be aware of some changes to the street network in Downtown Branson near the intersection of Main Street and its interchange with US Highway 65. The existing stoplight at the entrance and exit ramps, on the east side of the highway, now include an option to go north into a new street, called Loyd Road. Loyd Road is the entrance to a new development area north of Main Street where the new CVS Pharmacy is nearing completion. The road also provides access to several existing businesses, including the KRZK/KOMC radio station studios.
Loyd Road also connects to a new portion of Atlantic Street, one block north of Main Street. Main Street in this part of Downtown is also designated as Missouri State Highway 76, and Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) approval was required to extend the north leg of this intersection.
As part of the agreement with MoDOT to open Loyd Road, the City agreed that the North Sixth Street would be closed at its access to Main Street. Crews have been pouring a new sidewalk this week that closes that access. The overall development will make available several new sites for development, including the initial tenant, CVS Pharmacy. The new CVS Pharmacy will be opening August 4, and will have an official ribbon cutting event on August 12 at 9:00 am. For more information, contact David Miller, City Engineer at 417-337-8559.
Community News and Events
Mark you calendars for the 2013 Downtown Branson Fiddle Festival and Mid-American Fiddlers Championship
this Saturday and Sunday. This nationally-recognized event begins with the Mid-American Fiddlers Championship at 10:00 am on Saturday and following the competition is a FREE Jam Session and Gambler's Draw at 6:00 pm, brought to you by Titanic Museum Attraction
. The Fiddle Festival will be in Historic Downtown Branson
, behind Dick's Old Time 5 & 10
. Admission costs are $3.00 for adults, $1.50 for children ages 4-12 and children under age 3 (and event competitors) are free. For more information, go to www.DowntownBranson.org.
- Don't miss FBC Branson's 7th Annual Back to School Bash at the Branson RecPlex on Sunday, August 4, from 4:00 - 8:00 pm. More than 1,600 backpacks full of school supplies will be distributed free of charge to school-age children in attendance. In addition to much-needed school supplies, families can enjoy free swimming, food, inflatables, games and activities, free vision screenings and informational booths from 20 area non-profit organizations. For more information about the Back to School Bash, go to www.FBCBranson.com or call 417-334-7437.
- The Branson Senior Center invites you to enjoy a pancake breakfast to help raise funds for the Home-Delivered Meals Program, benefiting home bound senior citizens in the area. The Pancake Breakfast is scheduled for Saturday, August 10 from 7:00 am to noon at the Branson Senior Center (201 Compton Drive). The price for breakfast is $6.00 for adults, $3.50 for children ages 6-12, and free for children under 6. For more information, contact Cindy Kohlmiller at 417-335-4801 or CynthiaK@swmoa.com.
- ALZHEIMER'S CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUP MEETING 4th Tuesday each month. 4:15 - 5:15 No cost. COX HEALTH MEDICAL CENTER, Branson, Dogwood Meeting Room. Information - 800-272-3900.
- Johnny Lee & Friends Unplugged will be live in concert on Thursday, August 1 at 7:00 pm at the Branson Landing fountains. Best known for Billboard Magazine Hot Country Singles Chart hits like "Looking for Love", "One in a Million" and "Bet Your Heart on Me", Lee will be joined on stage by two of his buddies - Larry McFadden and Bill White. For more information about this and other events during the Branson Landing's Summer Concert Series, visit www.BransonLanding.com.
- How much do you know about HAM radio operation? Stop by the Dewey Short Visitors Center 9:00 am - 1:00 pm on Saturday to see and hear members of the Tri-Lakes Amateur Radio Club demonstrating how to use a HAM radio as they attempt to transmit from the main deck of the visitors center. This classic form of communication is not only a fun hobby, but also very important in emergency response situations. This free event is presented by the Ozarks Rivers Heritage Foundation. For more information, call 417-334-6394.
- The Fair Family will be having a VIP event on Saturday, August 3 at 3:00 pm. The event will be held at the Hamner Barber Theatre and is free for all guests and family members. It is first-come, first-served and the seats are going fast! Please RSVP at fans@TheFairFamily5.com with your name and number of guests attending.
- Branson Home Depot offers FREE "How-To" Workshops designed for children ages 5 -12 that build quality family time. Hands-on sessions are offered on the 1st Saturday of each month 9am-noon. In addition to the newly constructed project,each child receives a kid-sized orange apron,an achievement pin and certificate. You can paint and add embellishments to your project while at the workshop.
Workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills, tool safety and instill a sense of pride and accomplishment. Next Kids FREE Workshop: Load n' Go Truck Saturday, August 3 - 9am-noon (next to Pro Desk). Come learn with us at Branson Home Depot -1000 Branson Hills Pkwy. (417)336-2322.
- Drop by the new CVS Pharmacy at the intersection of US Highway 65 and Highway 76/Main Street in Downtown Branson. The soft opening event begins at 8:00 am on Sunday, August 4 and will include store wide sales and free gifts. The official ribbon cutting ceremony for CVS Pharmacy is scheduled for August 12 at 9:00 am.
- Be sure to come visit the Titanic Museum Attraction from August 1-15 to see the Titanic violin. The violin, which was played by bandmaster Wallace Hartley of the RMS Titanic as the famed ocean liner slipped away, is valued at over $500,000 and is on display in Branson for a limited time. The artifact is a piece of history that you may never see again! For more information about the Wallace Hartley Titanic violin exhibit, call 800-381-7670 or visit www.TitanicAttraction.com.
- As a new Chamber member, Complete Massage and Wellness is offering a special promotion for the entire month of August. Call 417-231-5552 or 417-334-8090 to schedule your one-hour massage for only $40! Specializing in neuromuscular therapy, hot stone massage, sports massage and relaxation massage, Complete Massage and Wellness is located at the Roark Fitness Club.
- Bring the kids down to The Paddlewheel at Branson Landing for a Nathan's Famous Hot Dog and a try at our new water cannons. With some luck (and plenty of practice), they will hit one of our inflatable ducks. To see our full menu for both kids and parents, visit www.MainStreetLakeCruises.com, or "Like" our Facebook page to learn more.
- Are you looking for a unique location for you next corporate event or business meeting? Not only can you take advantage of our beautiful boats at Main Street Lake Cruises, but you can also utilize our event space, The Fountain Room. The space has an amazing view of the Branson Landing Fountains, can accommodate up to 120 people and has catering options available. Please call 417-239-3980 for more information.
- North American Property Maintenance wants to remind you to get the mowing height right for the right time of year. Most grasses do best with a length of 2-3 inches. This applies for spring and early fall. In the summer, if possible, set it even higher and don't remove more than 1/3 at any one mowing. Never go below the minimum recommended height except for the last mowing of the season, which should be around 1.5 inches for most turf grasses. Leave the clippings to add vital nutrients back into the soil. Contact North American Property Maintenance at 417-335-4040 for all of your lawn care needs in Branson.
- Branson Masonic Lodge will be sponsoring an open meeting for the public on Saturday, August 17 at 6:00 pm at the Masonic Lodge at 100 Chief's Circle (off of Highway 248). The purpose of the meeting is to explain what the Masonic Fraternity is all about, what it teaches members and its involvement in the community. Bring the entire family and enjoy a great evening filled with information and fellowship. Light refreshments will be served after the meeting. For more information, contact Herb Terrill at 417-699-5016 or email@example.com.
- Heritage Global Partners, a global leader in asset and auction services, has been retained by Cornerstone Bank of Nebraska to oversee the one-of-a-kind webcast sale on August 21 of the Veterans Memorial Museum of Branson's collection of irreplaceable historic treasures honoring war heroes of the 20th century. The assets, which include a vast array of uniforms, equipment, memorabilia, weapons and the world's largest war memorial bronze sculpture of 50 life-size soldiers, were independently appraised at a collective value in excess of $20 million. The webcast sale will take place at Branson Hilton Hotel and Convention Center on August 21 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. A public preview is scheduled for August 19-20, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at the museum's location at 1250 West Highway 76.
Make your dollar go farther by visiting Tanger Outlets for back-to-school items during the Missouri Tax Free Holiday Sale this weekend (Friday, August 2 through Sunday, August 4). Plus, shop our extended operating hours Friday and Saturday from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sunday from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm. Certain back-to-school purchases, such as clothing, school supplies, computers and other items as defined by the Missouri statute, are exempt from state sales tax (4.225%) during this time period only. For more information go to the Department of Revenue's website. City and County sales tax will still apply.
Classic Creations by Nan is having a fantastic 25-50% off sale of all seasonal items. As they are getting ready for the new fall shipments to arrive soon, there is no better time to take advantage of great prices and perhaps some Christmas shopping while supplies last. For more information, visit them online at www.ClassicCreationsByNan.com.
Branson Bank is collecting donations of school supplies to be distributed directly to area schools for students in need, now through Friday, August 9. Items such as notebooks, paper, scissors, glue, crayons, markers, book bags, etc., will be collected at each of their three convenient locations in Branson and Forsyth. Monetary donations will also be accepted and will be used to purchase additional supplies for distribution. For additional information, please visit their website at www.BransonBank.com. Branson Bank is your locally-owned, community bank. Member FDIC.
A vintage 1800's wedding nightgown, Allendale Resort sign and more are featured in a display focusing on honeymoons in the Branson area. the display is part of the Branson Centennial Museum's newest exhibit, "Love - Ozarks Style," which runs through the end of August. The original exhibit includes panels on local weddings, military weddings, and bridal fashion through the decades. The museum is located at 101 Veterans Boulevard (corner of Business Highway 65 and Main Street in Downtown Branson) and is open from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday though Saturday. Admission to the Branson Centennial Museum is always free.
The 17th Annual Military Gala & Banquet, Branson's longest-running military tribute ball will be held at the Chateau on the Lake on Saturday, November 9, 2013 from 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm. This year's event will celebrate the USMC Birthday and salute our "unsung heroes", military families. Corporate sponsors need to confirm sponsorships ASAP, as invitations go to print soon. Call the P.O.W. Network for more information at 417-336-4232.
- On Friday, August 2, Eli Barsi, Canada's Cowgirl, will be the special guest on Grand Country's late show, Branson Country USA. This 10:30 pm show features weekly regulars New South, Jackie Brown, Melody Hart, the Grand Band, and hosts Mike Patrick and Jamie Haage. Branson Country USA is broadcast on regional radio stations KRZK and KOMC, and Springfield television station, KOZL. Call Grand Country Music Hall for more information at 417-335-2484 or visit www.GrandCountry.com or www.BransonCountryUSA.net.
- Bott Radio Network promotes tourism each Saturday on the "Branson Show!" On Saturday, August 3, tune in at 9:00 am when Monna Stafford visits with Julie Wilson, Sales and Marketing Director at The Tracks Family Fun Parks about what's new at The Tracks this year; then we'll feature a special tribute to longtime Branson entertainer Joey Riley; finally, Monna talks with Titanic collector Craig Sopin and Jaynee from the Titanic Museum Attraction in Branson about a new exhibit: The Wallace Hartley Long Lost Titanic Violin. Listen on 103.3 FM, 103.9 FM, 1570 AM or 90.1 FM for the Bott Radio "Branson Show!" The Branson Show at 9:00 am this Saturday is sponsored by Silver Dollar City. For park hours and ticket information, call 800-475-9370 or visit them online at www.SilverDollarCity.com.
The BLACC/CVB Membership Department is here to assist you. Please contact us, we would love to hear from you!
Ross, LaDella, Debi, Emily and Shelly
Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commmerce & CVB
Tuning Element (Branson Landing)
Complete Massage and Wellness
Branson Bank at Falls Parkway
Castle Rock Resort
Cindy Merry Marketing
Cox Health Care
Downing Street Furniture
Jellystone Forsyth Branson
Majestic at Table Rock
North American Property Maintenance
Toys on the Go
Wendy's Branson Hills
Aug. 1 - 5:30 pm
White River Valley Electric Cooperative
Aug. 2 - 7 am
First Friday Coffee at Dick's Old Time 5 & 10
Aug. 8 - 4:30 pm
Ribbon Cutting at The Caring People's Community Technology Center
Aug. 12 - 9 am
Ribbon Cutting at CVS Pharmacy
Aug. 13 - 3 pm
Speed Networking at Savannah House
Aug. 23 - 11:30 am
Branson Business Connection (TBA)
Aug. 7 - 8am
& Economic Development Advisory Council
Aug. 7 - 10am
2014 ABA Sponsorship Meeting Brain Storming Session
Aug. 9 - 7:30
Small Business Development Advisory Council
Aug. 13 - 8am
Certified Work Ready Communities Steering Committee
Aug. 13 - 2pm
Aug. 14 - 2pm
Aug. 15 - 8:30am
United Way Advisory Board
Aug. 15 - 10am
Membership & Funding Advisory Council
Aug. 15 - 11:30am
Social Media Club
Aug. 16 - 8am
Legislative Affairs (Dewey Short Visitors Center)