The Port of Redwood City is sponsoring Redwood City's Sesquicentennial in 2017.
2017 also marks the Port's 80th anniversary.
The year-long celebration and activities will take place in collaboration with the City of Redwood City, Redwood City Improvement Association, San Mateo County Historical Association, Downtown Business Group, Redwood City / San Mateo County Chamber of Commerce, Peninsula Celebration Association, just to name a few.
The key elements of the 150th Celebration Year include:
● In recognition of the 150th anniversary year beginning, the January 9, 2017 City Council meeting will host a reception and special orders of the day.
● A Feature Historical Documentary Film of Redwood City produced by an award-winning film company.
● The signature event of the year in Courthouse Square and surrounding streets in May will feature the 150th Festival with Flower Extravaganza. Arts and crafts, historic re-enactors, cultural performances and activities for the whole family are designed to attract, inform and entertain the entire community. Events like this have attracted 10,000-15,000 attendees.
● 5 "Fun in the Park" events at neighborhoods all over the city.
● A Speakers Series on thought-provoking topics presented by experts and well-known figures in the community highlighting Redwood City's history and diversity.
● As a summertime highlight, the 150th anniversary theme will be carried throughout the Peninsula Celebration Association's Fourth of July Parade, a patriotic tradition that draws some 25,000-30,000 people Downtown.
● A special, full-color, free, glossy commemorative publication available to the 85,000-member community at numerous events and in high profile locations.
Visit these websites to stay in touch:
Learn more about the Port's 80th anniversary in upcoming weeks.