Free eBook on Dispute Boards with new paid membership!
Have Some News For Our Members?
Special PPP Joint Symposium and Workshop by DBF and TECBAR -
Building for the Future 2016 is a special joint event designed by the DBF in collaboration with TECBAR that will examine the efficient use of PPPs to promote successful infrastructure development.
Main Conference: 31 March & 1 April 2016
PPP Essentials Workshop: 30 March 2016
Sofitel Plaza Hanoi, Vietnam
The symposium will feature a world class gathering of PPP experts with a broad spectrum of expertise, inc
luding DBF members:
- Government agencies involved in PPP
- International contractors
- Dispute resolution experts
- Multilateral development banks and other financiers
- Lawyers / expert advisory
These experts will help you deliver successful PPP projects and enable you to address the most problematic challenges that can arise.
Some topics of discussion will include:
- What is the appropriate allocation of risk?
- Why projects fail & how to prevent failure
- Practical project management, dispute avoidance & resolution
- and much more!
For a complete list of symposium topics, downloadable agenda, list of speakers and registration form please visit the DBF's
Conference Website Portal
(*DBF members use VIP code FKW82628DBFE after clicking the above banner link for 10% discount.)
Sofitel Plaza Hanoi
Ba Dinh District
10000 - HANOI
Tel: +84 38238888
Fax: +84 38293888
Quantification and Substantiation of Contractual Claims Part III:
Additional Site Set-up Costs/Preliminaries Charges
by Mark Entwistle, FDBF
This month features Fellow Mark Entwistle's third installment in his series
Quantification and Substantiation of Contractual Claims.
Although the first two articles in this series addressed Head/Home office overheads and disruption claims, the subject of this third article is no less challenging than the previous two and can sometimes be even more complicated.
Mr Entwistle further explains the differences of 'Preliminaries Charges' and more site-based costs thusly: "This subject relates exclusively to the resources that the claiming party (contractor or sub-contractor) applies to its general management of the work it is contracted to undertake. Those resources (site-based, generally) are to be differentiated from Head/ Home Office resources which are usually priced into a project by the determination of an appropriate percentage applied to the overall cost or value of the works." Continue...
(For part two of the series
click here, part one here.)
Mark Entwistle (Barrister and Quantity Surveyor) is a Fellow of the DBF and is listed in the FIDIC President's List of Approved Adjudicators. Mark is also the
holder of the
Independent Construction Adjudicator of the Year (UK) 2015, and
Best Construction Lawyer (UK) 2015.
Ignatius Wilhelm Henning, PDBF
VIP Consulting Engineers
Country: South Africa
Expertise: Construction, Civil Engineering, Project Management, Arbitration
Mr Henning has over 35 years experience in construction, civil engineering, consulting and arbitration. He is currently the Director and co-owner of VIP Consulting Engineers in Pretoria, South Africa. His responsibilities include:
Company strategic and general management; program and project leader for infrastructure projects, including design and documentation; procurement and contract administration.
Professional associations include:
- Registered as Professional Engineer with the South African Council for Engineers
- Member of the South African Institute for Civil Engineers
- Associate of the South African Association of Arbitrators
- Member of the Association of South African Quantity Surveyors
- Member of the Adjudication Society (UK)
- Member of the Society for Construction Law (UK)
- Registered as an adjudicator with the South African Institution of Civil Engineers, Consulting Engineers, South Africa
Edward Sunna, FDBF
Chief Legal Officer, Arbitrator, Adjudicator
Meraas Holding LLC
Expertise: Edward Sunna has in excess of 15 years PQE and over 20 years experience in legal practice. In addition to the above he is also the General Legal Advisor for the Engineer's Office of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum 'EO'. Previously he
was the Head of the Construction and Engineering Department at the largest regional Gulf Law firm, Al Tamimi & Company. His expertise includes:
- Construction Disputes
Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Disputes
- Commercial and Insurance Law
Other relevant experience incudes drafting, negotiating, advising and structuring contracts such as PPP type projects, development agreements including master development agreements, scheme documents, sale purchase agreements, facilities management documents, insurance and leasing agreements.
Mr Sunna's professional associations include:
- Member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Adjudicator with the Queensland Government Building Services Office 2004
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) & Chartered Arbitrator
- Panelled arbitrator with the following Centres: ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, DIAC, SIAC and AJCCCA
Kyle P.A. Wright PDBF
Senior Advisor/Contracts Administrator
Expertise: Kyle Wright has 12 years experience in contracts management, strategy and development in the offshore oil industry and construction industry. He is currently Senior Advisor for Contracts in Ensco's Eastern Hemisphere operations since December 2012.
Mr Wright has worked on large projects up to the value of US $46 billion across all sub-sectors including medical, purchase, operations, marine and aviation. He is also experienced in the management and implementation of various procurement and contracting routes including traditional, D&B, EPC and Alliance contracting under bespoke forms of contract and standard forms such as FIDIC and LOGIC.
Mr Wright is a member of the following organisations:
- AACFE - Associate Member of the Association of Fraud Examiners
- LCIA - Affiliate Member of the London Court of International Arbitration
- MCIArb - Member Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- MACostE - Member of Association of Cost Engineers
- MSPE - Member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers