First Church News & Updates - November 3, 2017
Don't forget to fall back! Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday at 2 am. We can get back that hour of sleep we lost last spring!
Reminder: If you had a photo taken for the pictorial directory, but did not buy additional photos, your free 8x10 is in the Foyer of the Sanctuary on the Andrew Ministry Information Table. Please stop by and pick it up.
Enjoy this First Church news.
Giving Matters...You, God and your Money
Jesus taught that where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. He spent more than half of his teaching on dealing with possessions and wealth. This shows that how we regard wealth is important to God. But also God understands how important it is to us. So this series begins with God as the great and joyous giver inviting us into giving that is both fulfilling and joyful.
"The Widow's Might: The Power of Giving Yourself Away"
Dr. Will Cotton will be preaching at the 8:30, 9:40 and 11 am worship services.
, our weekly devotional guide, is available on the
This is All Saints Sunday. All services will include a Remembrance of the Saints and the sacrament of Holy Communion.
Please join us in worship this Sunday at 8:30 am (Sanctuary), 9:40 am (FLC), or 11 am (Sanctuary).
District Cluster Charge Conference - November 12 at 4 pm
This year, the South District is gathering for a cluster conference at First United Methodist Church in Salado at 4 pm on November 12, and everyone is invited. We will share together in worship, present our
goals and celebrate our ministry together as churches in one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. All members of our Church Council are particularly encouraged to attend, but note this event is open to everyone - clergy active and retired, laity in every place of leadership and service.
Dedication Service for our First Church Disaster Response Trailer this Sunday
At 10:45 am on Sunday (directly after Sunday School and the Crossroads Service), we will gather in the circle drive area to dedicate our trailer, that has been specially outfitted for disasters like Hurricane Harvey. Special thanks to so many of you who have donated tools for this effort. Our first Disaster Response Team trip will leave with 18 adults on Veteran's weekend, which is the same weekend that we will have 75 youth and sponsors on their Fall Mission trip in Houston. First Church is moving out in mission in a great way. We are also better equipped to make a quicker and stronger response to disasters in the future. Join us for this brief and important service.
Sincerely in Christ,
Dr. Will Cotton
Fall Festival & Trunk or Treat...it was awesome!
If you missed our sixth annual Trunk or Treat and Fall Festival, you missed a real treat!
Greeters counted 1678 people entering the event, but certainly not everyone was counted. The weather was absolutely perfect for fellowship and fun outdoors. Many thanks to Regina and Patrick Bohmfalk and the band for providing music during the event and to the United Methodist Men for providing and serving hot dogs. Many youth and adult volunteers were involved in running the games and activities that provided fun for the children. Additional volunteers decorated their trunks and passed out candy that was donated by the congregation. Special thanks to Rhanda and Kevin Shrank, Caitlin Kennedy and Mandie Radcliffe for all of your work in the weeks leading up to the event!
There were so many ways to participate and be involved! Great job First Church family for putting on such a safe and fun event for the children of our congregation and community!
Kids for Christ Council
The Kids For Christ Council is a task force of parents interested in serving in the areas of children's programming along with the Children's Ministries Team. The next KFC meeting will be Sunday, November 5 at 12:15 pm!
We invite new members to join our council and would like you to prayerfully consider participating in this important part of Children's Ministry!
J-Team is coming up on November 12
Calling all 3rd to 5th graders:
Please join us
November 12 from 2 - 4 pm
for our November
event! We will be painting Christmas ornaments at Ceramic Lodge! Paint one ornament for your family tree and a second for a Christmas gift for someone you love! The cost is $10. A devotional and snack are included.
Please RSVP to
Tammy Parks, Elementary Coordinator, email@example.com,
to join the fun!
Fall Mission...We're heading to
Our students and adults will be headed to the Houston area to assist in Hurricane Harvey relief. Teams will be sheetrocking houses, picking up debris and building a wheel chair ramp. It is not too late to join us! Registration forms are available through
. Contact Jodi Marfell, Director of Student Ministries, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Join us for FUSION at 6 pm on Sunday!
All students in grades 6-12 are invited to join us for Throwback Fusion Games! We are going back in time as our small group teams compete in games from back in the day. Dinner is free! Teams get extra points for dressing up
Throwback and bringing friends!
Fusion is our weekly programming for all students High School and Middle School Grades 6-12 during the school year.
Other Student Ministry Info...
- Camp Eagle 2018: July 22 - 27 (High School) and August 3 - 8 (Middle School)
Methodism 101...it's not too late to sign up!
What makes United Methodists unique? How are we both like other Christians, yet see things differently?
You are invited to a three-week class to explore these questions: our history, our theology, our way of living, and our place in God's work and in our world today.
Led by Dr. John Clifford,
begins on November 5 and will meet at 9:40 am on Sunday mornings for 3 weeks.
Winter Family Camp: January 12 - 15, 2018
Please make plans to join your First Church family for another great, restful weekend at the HEB Foundation camp in the gorgeous Texas Hill Country. Cabins are centrally heated with hot showers, and there is a lodge with a huge fireplace where we gather to eat, sing, and worship together. All meals are included. Cost is only $30 per adult or child 13 or older, $15 per child 4 - 12, and free for children age 3 and under. Registration will begin in December. Contact Paul Pulley,
with questions or to be included in email list for further information.
Other Adult Ministry Info...
Losing a loved one is never easy. Coping with grief and loss is arguably one of the hardest things you will ever have to endure in life. First Church will be offering a 6-8 week curriculum based Grief Support Group this fall/winter. This group is designed to be a place of support through sharing, learning and caring. If you, or someone you know, is grieving the death of a loved one, we hope you will consider being a part of this group. For more information contact Associate Pastor Beverly Jones (
Caring for an Aging Parent or Loved One? Need Help? New Survey Available for You!
First Church is seeking to meet the needs of the so called Sandwich Generation and others who are responsible for their aging parents and loved ones, and at the same time are responsible for children of their own, their work and other responsibilities. If this describes you, you are invited to take this survey. The survey will help us to better serve your needs. If you have questions or additional ideas contact Wanell Soslow at email@example.com.
Want to know more about the UMCOR Sager Brown Mission Trip 2018?
Eleanor Johnson, Team Leader for the UMCOR Sager Brown Mission Trip 2018, will be at a table outside Payne Cottage/Twin Oaks Cafe from 9 - 11 am Sundays, November 5 and 12 to answer questions and provide printed information about the UMCOR - Sager Brown Mission Trip, March 18-23, 2018, in Baldwin, Louisiana. Presently there are 3 spots open. If there is more interest more spots might be available closer to the December 13 deadline. Contact:
Eleanor Johnson, 512.255.5382 or
Sharing our blessings at Thanksgiving
Every year our church feeds nearly 300 families Thanksgiving in the greater Round Rock area through our Thanksgiving Bag Ministry. Join us this year as we feed 200+ families in eight partnering schools, 100 families in the Houston area, and families in our local National Guard. If you would like to help, just pick up a bag in the sanctuary, Family Life Center, or Building 5, fill the bags with items on list and return to the church by
! Click here for all the details...
Want to be a Christmas Angel? "Adopt" a foster child on Sunday, November 12.
Each year at this time, the Williamson County Child Welfare Board asks for help to purchase gifts for the children in foster care in Williamson County. The First Church Outreach Ministry is sponsoring this program for our church. This year we can help out by purchasing gifts for up to 120 children. Click for more information...
First Church Crafters annual holiday craft sale will be on Sunday, November 12
will be held from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm at the church gazebo. From Christmas decorations to gorgeous jewelry, we know that you will find the perfect gift for that special someone! Since our creations are handmade and hand crafted from recycled and
items, we believe that you will definitely find unique and exquisite gifts for all. As always, proceeds from the sale will go to missions, so please take a few minutes and browse our treasures on November 12. We know that you won't be disappointed.
Other Mission & Outreach Info...
- Disaster Relief: Donations are still being accepted for hurricane relief.
- The Villages: read more about our strategic vision for church-wide Outreach and Mission-local, regional, and global.
- Round Rock Helpers: Providing handyman services and assistance to seniors.
- First Church Backpack Project: Donate or volunteer!
- Student Ministry is staffing the Twin Oaks Cafe in October.
- Plastic Bag Recycling: Donate your plastic bags for use at the Round Rock Area Serving Center. Leave them in the white barrel in Payne Cottage. They are picked up weekly.
Drive-A-Senior Needs More Drivers: Visit
or call 512-310-1060 to learn more about this community service to our elderly neighbors.
Round Rock Area Serving Center:
Volunteers are needed for a variety of jobs! New volunteer orientation is on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 4 pm at 1099 E. Main St., 2nd floor conference room. Call 512-244-2431.
Scrub-a-dub Day is November 18
Save these dates for upcoming holiday events!
Advent and Christmas...just around the corner
In order to help you plan your calendar, we want to share some church-wide and community events:
- November 12: Christmas Angel Tree in Sanctuary foyer
- November 12: First Church Crafters Holiday Extravaganza, 8:30 am - 12:30 pm, Gazebo
- November 14: Thanksgiving Basket delivery, 6 - 8 pm
- December 2: Cookies with Santa, 10 am, Bldg. 4/Payne Cottage
- December 2: Ring Noel 2017, Sanctuary
- December 4: Children and Youth Bells Advent Recital, 6 pm, Sanctuary
- December 10:A Winter Rose Christmas Cantata, 8:30 and 11 am worship services
- December 10: CrossRoads Christmas, 9:40 am, Family Life Center
- December 15: Round Rock Community Choir Holiday Concert, 7 pm, Sanctuary
- December 17: A Nativity Experience for Families, 3 pm, Family Life Center
- December 17: Senior Access Christmas Choral Concert, 6:30 pm, Sanctuary
We will add additional events and dates as information becomes available.
This week at First Church
Sunday, November 5 - All Saints Sunday
- 8:30, 9:40 and 11 am - Worship Services
- 8:40 am - LifeGroup - Spiritual Growth, Bldg. 4/Payne Cottage
- 9:40 am - Methodism 101, Bldg. 5/222
- 11:00 am - LifeGroup - Parents & Families in Transition, Bldg. 5-124
- 11:00 am - LifeGroup - Young Parents, Bldg. 5-148
- 11:00 am - LifeGroup - Putting Your Faith into Action Bldg 5-136
- 11:30 am - Alleluia Chorus Children's Choir, Bldg. 4/Payne Cottage
- 12:15 pm - Kids for Christ Council, Bldg. 5-124
- 5:00 pm - Youth Choir, Bldg. 4/Payne Cottage
- 5:00 pm - Round Rock Community Choir Concert, Sanctuary
- 6:00 pm - FUSION, Bldg. 3/FLC
Monday, November 6
- 1:30 pm - JOY Leadership Team, Bldg. 5-124
- 4:00 pm - Kids of the Kingdom Bells, Bldg. 3/FLC, East Cry Room
- 6:00 pm - Trustees meeting, Bldg. 5-122
- 6:00 pm - Venture Crew, Bldg. 3/FLC
- 7:00 pm - Boy Scout Troop #157, Bldg.3/FLC
- 8:30 am - UMM Tuesday Breakfast group, Juárez Restaurant on South Mays
- 8:45 am - Ring of Joy rehearsal, North Suite
- 9:30 am - First Church Crafters, 115 Winsted
- 9:30 am - Tuesday Women's Bible Study, Bldg. 5-122
- 11:30 am - Women's Book Club, Bldg. 5-127
- 12:30 pm - Brown Bag Theologians, Bldg. 5-122
6:00 pm - Stephen Ministry Training, Bldg. 5-126
6:00 pm - Stephen Ministry Supervision, Bldg. 5-127, 123, 136
- 7:00 pm - Community Bible Study, Bldg. 5-223/224, 220 & 225
- 7:00 pm - Military/First Responders Meeting, Bldg. 5-124
Wednesday, November 8
- 6:15 am - UMM Breakfast, fellowship, devotional - FLC/Bldg. 3
- 9:30 am - Wednesday Women's Bible Study, Bldg. 5-232/234
- 5:00 pm - Revelation Ringers Tins rehearsal, East Cry Room/FLC
- 5:00 pm - Revelation Ringers Bronze rehearsal, North Suite
- 6:00 pm - Heartsong rehearsal, South Suite
- 6:30 pm - Wednesday Women's Bible Study, Bdlg 5-232/234
- 7:00 pm - Jubilation bell rehearsal, North Suite
- 7:15 pm - Chancel Choir rehearsal, South Suite
Thursday, November 9
- 9:30 am - Heart to Heart Quilters, 115 Winsted
- 12 noon - Mom Life, Bldg. 5-122
- 7:00 pm - Council Oak Bells rehearsal, North Suite
- 7:00 pm - Orchestra rehearsal, South Suite
Friday, November 10
8:00 am - Round Rock Helpers, Bldg 4/Payne Cottage
9:30 am - MOM weekly gathering, Bldg. 5-232/234
8:00 pm - Narcotics Anonymous-Right Stuff, Bldg. 4
Saturday, November 11
- 7:00 am - Fall Student Mission Trip
First United Methodist Church Round Rock
First Church exists to share the love
of God in Jesus Christ.
Just a reminder...
You're receiving this email because you have expressed an interest in First United Methodist Church. Don't forget to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book so we'll be sure to land in your inbox! If you would like to subscribe or unsubscribe to additional First Church E-Mail lists, you can do so by clicking Update Profile/Email Address below. You will then receive an email in which you can specify the First Church E-Mail lists you prefer. If you click Safe Unsubscribe below, you will be unsubscribed from all First Church E-Mails.
First United Methodist Church | Round Rock
email@example.com | http://