Open Enrollment under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is set to begin Wednesday, Nov. 1. The annual enrollment period has been shortened, with the health insurance signup period ending Dec. 15.
In Western Maryland, enrollment services for the ACA are being provided through the Western Maryland Health Insurance Connector, a program based at AHEC West, which is located on the downtown Cumberland Mall, at 39 Baltimore Street. The Western Maryland Health Insurance Connector, which serves Maryland's three western-most counties, also has offices in Oakland and Hagerstown.
For more information about your health insurance options under the ACA, visit the regional Connector's website at
to schedule an appointment or talk to a certified ACA Navigator about your health insurance needs and options.
Other important points to remember:
- All Connector Program services are free.
- Open Enrollment is from Nov 1 until Dec 15.
- The Connector Program will have evening and weekend hours available (call 888-202-0212 to schedule)
- For many people the price of insurance premiums will be the lowest ever, as low as $5 to $10 per month.
- For some people Gold plans with lower deductibles will be very affordable.
- AHEC West will be hosting Walk-In Wednesdays every Wednesday during Open Enrollment from 9am to 6:30 pm. Consumers can just stop by the Cumberland location without an appointment.
- Most consumers seeking insurance in our area will be shielded from the premium increases because financial help will also increase.
- Folks can go to our website www.wmdhealthconnect.org to learn more.
- Call 888-202-0212 to schedule and appointment or get information.
- For many consumers, the penalty associated with NOT having health insurance will be higher than the cost of insurance itself.
- Because the prices are so low this year, it is worth it for everyone to find out for themselves.