If you've not heard of FCS Day, it is an opportunity to promote Family and Consumer Sciences programs, tools, and professionals that support family mealtime. We ask families to make and eat a healthy meal together on December 3, 2016. December 3rd was chosen to recognize AAFCS Founder Ellen Swallow Richards, first woman graduate of MIT, whose birthday was December 3rd..
To date, we have received more than 30,000 commitments to "Dining In"! But to reach our goal of 200,000 commitments, your leadership and outreach efforts are greatly needed.
As we move into the homestretch for Family & Consumer Sciences Day, we would like for you to encourage Family and Consumer Sciences teachers in your state to participate.
Even though we are just five days away from FCS Day, here are some simple things that secondary educators could do in their classrooms:
- Use the lesson plan and materials provided for FCCLA@TheTable at www.fcclainc.org/programs/fccla-at-the-table.php. Take the FCCLA pledge!
- Ask your students to "Dine In" on December 3rd! Give extra credit to those who commit and show that they have "dined in" by sharing a #HealthyFamSelfie on social media.
- Print "Dining In" flyers for your students to take home.
- Ask students to share their favorite family recipes and suggest ways to make them healthier.
- Use "Dining In" as a way to discuss similarities and differences across cultures.
Prepare simple, healthy meals in your food lab
prior to Family & Consumer Sciences Day.