The U.S. Supreme Court will consider two cases about our freedom to marry. These two cases, Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and California's Proposition 8 - are fundamentally about whether gay and lesbian Americans can enjoy the same freedoms and opportunities as everyone else.
As a part of the hearings on DOMA and Prop 8, Oklahomans for Equality will be celebrating March 25th - 30th as Marriage Equality Week at the Dennis R. Neill Equality Center. Here is a schedule of events:
Monday, March 25th
- 7:00 pm - The University of Tulsa Law School's SODA (Sexual Orientation Diversity Alliance) Group will present "Preview to the Supreme Court Hearings on Marriage Equality".
- Local Faith Leaders from inclusive congregations who support Marriage Equality will serve on a panel discussion. Panelists include: Rev. Kelli Driscoll of Bethany Christian Church, Rev. Bob Lawrence of United Church of Christ, Rev. Mary Ann Harris of Unity Church of Christianity, Rev. Eric Banner of All Souls Unitarian Church and Father Frank Quintana of the Parish Church of Saint Jerome.
Tuesday, March 26th
- 7:00 pm - OkEq Advocacy Chair, Mike Redman, will present "The Historical Background Leading Up to the Prop 8 and DOMA Challenges".
Wednesday, March 27th
- 7:00 pm - Panel discussion with local couples who have been legally married in other jurisdictions and plaintiffs in the Oklahoma Marriage Equality Defense Lawsuit discussing why marriage matters. Panelists include: Sharon Baldwin and Mary Bishop, Kelly Kirby and Charles Johnston, and Gay Phillips and Susan Barton.
Thursday, March 28th
- 6:30 pm - EBA member led presentation "Home Buyers Education". Please RVSP to email@example.com
- 7:00 pm - Attorney, Conor Cleary, will recap the discussions from the DOMA and Prop 8 hearings. He will also go more in depth on DOMA.
Friday, March 29th
- 7:00 pm - Screening of the Marriage Equality Documentary 'Tie the Knot' with Wedding Cake.
Saturday, March 30th
- 1:00 - 5:00 pm - OkEq with Family and Children's Services will present Within Our Reach - a couples relationship enhancement workshop. Please RVSP to Carrie Little at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a part of OkEq's Marriage Equality Week, we are setting up a Wedding Fair at the Equality Center. Information booths will be set up showcasing our Equality Business Alliance members. These local business booths will be on hand for those looking for wedding related services or vital information for same sex couples.
We are excited to bring these events to our community, so please make plans to join us at the Equality Center as we celebrate Marriage Equality.
The Dennis R Neill Equality Center is the 6th largest LGBT community center in the world. It serves as the headquarters of Oklahomans for Equality. Over 47,000 individuals utilized the Equality Center in 2012 and over 50 weekly programs are offered.
The Equality Center is open 7 days a week.
(Monday-Saturday Noon-9pm & Sunday Noon-6pm)
Dennis R. Neill Equality Center
Hours: Mon - Sat 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sun 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Oklahomans for Equality | 621 E. 4th Street | Tulsa, OK 74120 | 918.743.4297