We'd love to have OSNA members present in a workshop to share your experiences!
Rick Sherman, with ODE, is pulling together a panel workshop of nutrition services staff, who can share best practices, successes and challenges with incorporating local food into school meals. Anyone interested in presenting on this panel to share their experience can contact Rick directly at
And we'd love to have some school nutrition services staff propose workshops on their own as well. Here's the details:
The 2018 Oregon Farm to School and School Garden Summit will be held Thursday and Friday, January 25-26, 2018, at
The Oregon Garden
in Silverton, Oregon.
This will be a two-day event with workshops, speakers, resources and networking opportunities.
Thursday, January 25 will be focused on farm and garden based education. Friday, January 26 will be focused on incorporating local food into school meals.
We are seeking proposals for workshops in the following topic areas (but we welcome and will consider proposals for workshops on other topics):
- Getting started with local purchasing
- Finding and buying local foods
- Selling to schools (for producers)
- Incorporating local food into your school meal program
- Q&A with foodservice staff with successful farm to school experience
- Oregon Department of Education's Farm to School Grants for procurement of Oregon foods
- Promoting and marketing your farm to cafeteria program
- Food safety
We encourage proposals both from experienced practitioners and emerging leaders. We are especially interested in proposals for workshops that are:
- Interactive (e.g., hands-on or small group activities) and engaging
- Address diversity, equity and inclusion
- Share best practices
- Share new and/or innovative resources
Workshops will likely be 75 minutes in length. We recommend limiting the number of presenters to 2-3 per workshop.
To submit a proposal for a workshop, please complete the form by clicking the link below and submit it by 12 midnight on Tuesday, October 10:
We expect to notify applicants with decisions about whether or not their workshop was selected by the end of October. Stay tuned for details about the Winter Conference, including start and closing times, workshop topics, costs and registration!