OUR LADY OF FATIMA
November 4th, 2016
We must strive and ask for the grace to create a culture of encounter, of fruitful encounter that restores to each person his or her own dignity as a child of God...
In our families, at the dinner table, how many times, while eating, do people watch TV or write messages on their cell phones...even within the heart of society, which is the family, there is no encounter. May this help us to not just see, but look. Not just hear, but listen. Not just meet and pass by, but stop."
Pope Francis Morning Homily September 13, 2016
OUT AND ABOUT:
- I was wondering what "Halloween Bingo" would be like? I found that the Our Lady of Fatima community knows how to have Halloween fun! It was an unforgettable night from Father Reggie and his dancers' "Thriller" impression, to the amazing Halloween decorations provided by Mr. Pace, to all the wonderful costumes. Did I mention Bingo was also played? Thanks to the entire HSA for their work planning and staging such an evening of fun for parents and students alike.
- More Halloween Reports. The Pre-K through Second-grade Halloween Parade was a sight to behold Monday morning. A special thank you to the teachers like Mrs. Obermayer as the "Good Fairy Princess" who also dressed up to make for a special day for all our students.
- Third grade had a wonderful field trip to the Stamford Nature Center last week. They learned about the habitats and ecosystems. Thanks to Mrs. O'Shea for arranging.
- The weather is getting colder, but we will still try to go outside for recess as often as possible. When the temperature and wind chill is above 32 degrees, we will still have outdoor recess. You can help us by making sure your child is appropriately dressed and comes to school with a coat, hat, and gloves to be prepared for this. Thank you for assistance.
- Speaking of the coming cold winter. On Monday morning, November 7th, at 9:00 a.m., I am planning to send out a test message using My Student Progress. This is the system we will use in the event of a school closing or winter delay. If you do not receive the message Monday morning, please contact Diane in the main office. As in the past, we will take our lead from the Wilton Public Schools: if they cancel school because of weather conditions, we will also cancel.
- Fourth and fifth grade had a wonderful field trip to Weir Farms exploring the artistic heritage this local historical site. Thanks to Mrs. Obermayer for arranging this wonderful trip.
- The alumni of Our Lady of Fatima School are a large, passionate and devoted group. In addition, the Fatima Faith Fund is an important source of income for our school. A special thanks to Brent Shaffer for agreeing to be the point person for the Fatima Faith Fund this year. If anyone is interested in helping, please contact Brent. Also, we are getting ready to send out a mass mailing to this alumni group. If anyone has contacts with a printing company, Brent and I would love to speak with them.
- This coming Tuesday, November 8th, is a teachers' Professional Development Day with no school for our students. We are always looking to improve our school. We are planning to spend time at the November 8th Staff Development Day working in Google Classrooms and using different Google apps. I am asking all parents to return the Technology Acceptable Use Policy sent home this week as soon as possible.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for the afternoons on November 16th and November 17th. We will have noon dismissal on these two half-days. No lunch will be served. The marking period ends on November 9th. Third-grade through eighth-grade report cards will be mailed home prior to the conferences. Pre-K through Second-grade report cards will be given to you at the conference.
- Pre-K through fifth-grade teachers will contact you directly to arrange your conference time on the 16th or 17th. They will work with you to accommodate siblings' conferences, as well as they are able to. For parents of middle school students, outside of Diane's School Office, we have teacher clipboards to sign-up for conferences with individual middle school teachers. The times will be in fifteen-minute blocks. Please sign-up for conferences the next time you are in the building, so you are able to see as many teachers and make the best use of your time. On the days of the middle school conferences, the middle school teachers will be meeting parents at tables set-up in the gym.
- If you cannot make the conference time for some reason on these designated two days of conferences, please contact your child's teacher to arrange a new meeting date and time.
- Next Saturday, November 12th is the next OLF Recycles in front of the school from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. Please bring your refundable cans, plastic and glass bottles. If you would like to order a box for recycling or have a question, please contact Karin at Karinbeggan@gmail.com.
- Starting Monday, November 8th, pick-up for the After-School after 5:30 p.m. will take place in the front of the building. Please drive to the front and enter through the front doors. This is being done so it will be in a well-lighted area when you walk from your car. Thanks to Maria Beltrami and Patty O'Shea for this great idea.
- Fatima Wear is providing beautiful uniform clothes and making money for the 8th grade class. Any dark blue sweatshirt or hoodie you purchase with our logo or "Fatima" on it will be considered appropriate for the school uniform. In addition, Fatima flip flops and sliders are available for home use. The deadline to order either the flip flops or sliders is Tuesday, November 8th, so that they will be here by Christmas.
- Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. we had a malfunction with our fire alarm system. The Wilton Fire Department and the alarm company came to our school, but it took several hours to locate the source of the troubles. (If shut my eyes and can still hear the bells going off.) Thanks to everyone for their patience.
- The Cross-Country team had their league championship race and awards on Thursday. Congratulations to all our runners for a great season and especially to our two grade level winners: Sophia Pace for 5th grade girls and Frank Bonaddio for 8th grade boys. Also, a special thank you to Caroline Feeney and Amber Pace for coaching all year!
- We do have school on Friday, November 11th. We are planning an assembly honoring all veterans. If you have a veteran in your extended family and would like them to be recognized, please just let me know.
- The school pictures arrived this afternoon and will be going home in student backpacks on Monday: please look for them!
- This week, I have been visiting Mr. T's middle school study skill classes. Besides good study skills, we have been discussing good and bad peer pressure, emotional intelligence in different social situations, and listening to the voice inside you that tells you right from wrong. The kids have been wonderful!
"SHOUT OUT 1"
Kathleen Rooney. Every day, Kathleen is here teaching our middle school students their religion classes. She has been doing this since 1992! In addition, she oversees the student readers at mass each Friday, coordinates the First Friday masses, and is the Director of the Parish's Religious Education program. During the summer, Mrs. Rooney was here from early in the morning to late in the afternoon; during the school year, besides her teaching duties, Mrs. Rooney runs the Sunday and after-school Religious Education program. She is an irreplaceable part of the Fatima community. Thanks for all you do, Kathleen!
"SHOUT OUT 2"
Steve Soucy. Steve is the parent of three Fatima graduates. In addition, Steve still gives of his time as a School Board member and is the Chair of the Finance Committee. His expertise and accounting skills were of invaluable help in preparing the school budget. We could not do it without you, Steve!
November 5th - Consecration of the Diocese of Bridgeport to the Sacred Heart of Jesus at the Saint Augustine Cathedral in Bridgeport.
November 8th - No school - Teacher PD day
November 9th - Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
November 10th - 6th/7th grades to Mark Twain's home in Hartford
Dr. Cheeseman, Superintendent of Diocese of Bridgeport here visiting.
November 11th - Veteran's Day Ceremony in our school at 1:00 p.m.
November 12th - International Family Night in the gym
OLF Recycling from 10:00 to 12:00 in front of the school
November 16th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m. (last meeting before taking a break until the New Year.)
November 17th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 22nd - Wilton Fire Department here for fire prevention presentation
November 23rd - Noon dismissal
November 24/25 - Thanksgiving Recess
November 29th to December 2nd - Scholastic Book Fair taking place
November 30th - Picture Retake Day
December 1st - 8th graders to see the play, Wicked, at the Oakdale Theatre
5th graders baking Ginger Bread houses here in school
4th graders to the Knights of Columbus Museum for Christmas tree trimming
December 2nd - First Friday Mass hosted by Grade 7
December 4th - Meeting for Second grade parents and their children on Sacrament of Reconciliation.
December 6th - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
December 8th - No school for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 11th - School Christmas Party
December 21st - Christmas Pageant at 1:00 p.m.
December 23rd - Noon dismissal for Christmas recess
December 26 through January 2 - No school for Christmas recess
January 3rd - School Resumes
HSA meeting at 7:00 p.m.
January 6th - First Friday Mass hosted by Grade 8
January 16th - Martin Luther King Day - No School
January 20th - Marks close for the second quarter
January 29th - HSA breakfast to kick-off Catholic Schools Week
January 30th through February 3 - Catholic Schools Week
February 3rd - Grandparent/Special Friend Day
First Friday Mass hosted by Grade 6
Did I mention Mrs. Rooney is a life-long Cubs fan? Congratulations to Mrs. Rooney, her Cubs, and all baseball fans for a fantastic World Series.