OUR LADY OF FATIMA
October 7, 2016
Do not distrust the Providence of God. He who made your corn grow will assuredly help to gather it in.
Saint John Vianney
OUT AND ABOUT:
- Thanks to everyone for making Open School Night such a memorable event. Thanks to teachers for their presentations, thanks to the HSA parents for providing the dinner and program, and last, but not least, thanks to all the parents for attending!
- As your child might have told you, we had trouble in our computer room this past week. One of our main switches in the server malfunctioned and it took us almost a full week to replace it and to get all the computers in the computer room back online and running. Thank you to everyone for their patience and a special thank you to Kevin Vallerie for coming in and helping to resolve the problem.
- Speaking of technology, we've had our first two technology committee meetings of the year. The technology committee welcomes everyone's input as we seek to balance the need to update our infrastructure, while also developing a technology plan to teach and explore 21st Century technology skills. All are welcome!
- In our lobby, Mara and the Sodality of Children of Mary group are collecting gently used clothing for the Thomas Merton Center. Please consider donating to this worthy cause and see Mara with any additional questions.
- Our Mom and Tots Playgroup enjoys the meetings on Wednesday mornings at 10:00 a.m. here at school. We are off next week and will resume on October 19th. All parents with young children are welcome! There is a story time and then an art activity for the children and time for parents to meet and talk.
- The HSA had a great family movie night this past Friday. Do to the rainy weather it took place in our school. Many thanks to Kevin for providing the amazing movie setup. This is an event we will definitely try to do again this year.
- Did you know we have 20 girls playing field hockey and 32 students running cross country? Next week we have a home cross-country meet and two home field hockey games. Come out and support our young student-athletes!
- Thanks to the generosity of the Athletic Committee we now have new PE equipment for our students. Over the course of this school year, your child will be exposed to a wider range of physical fitness activities and sports. Many thanks to the Athletic Committee for their support.
- I was called away for two days last week for a Diocese of Bridgeport Conference on Strategic Planning. With the different committees already set-up by our School Board and with the Strategic Plan developed by the school in 2015, we are well on our away with what I am calling OLF 2.0: long-term planning for the vitality of our school.
- Next Friday, October 14th, is our walkathon. This year it is called the Saints Walkathon because each class is walking for a different saint. The Saints Walkathon will take place here on our school grounds and will begin at 12:45 p.m. Please remind your child to return their waiver form and pledge form to their homeroom teacher. If you are free, please come and join us and thank you for your support of the only fall fundraiser event. Remember if we reach our goal of $16,000, Father Reggie and I will be performing the "Chicken Dance" for the school dressed appropriately as chickens. Yikes! What have I signed up for?
- Recycling continues to go well. The September recycling effort raised $220 dollars for our school. Our next recycling event will be November 12th and recycling boxes are available at your request. A big thank you to Karin and Joe Beggan for their leadership in this area.
- We are having a school Open House on Sunday, October 16th from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Teachers will be in their classrooms; Student Government representatives will act as our Student Ambassadors to conduct tours, and School Board members and Home-School parents will be here to answer questions. Also, thanks so much to the many families that took signs for their yards to publicize this event. Encouraging prospective families that you know to attend the Open House is an invaluable service to our school.
"SHOUT OUT 1"
Rose Highland. Rose teaches middle school science, primary school computers, and second through eighth grade STEM classes every week. In addition, she was the point person in bringing the Lego robotic program to our school. In her "free time," Rose worked on the Master Schedule this summer, prepared the PowerPoint slides for the Middle School presentation during Open School Night, and is constantly thinking of ways to make our school a better place. Where would we be without you, Rose?
"SHOUT OUT 2"
Kathryn Benedett Lupoli. Kathryn is the point person of our marketing committee. For the October 16th Open House, Kathryn's amazing work has led to the mailing out school post cards to four zip codes to advertise the event, placing articles in the five local area newspapers, printing banners and posters, developing PR releases, and coordinating a social media campaign. Great job, Kathryn!
October 10th - No school for Columbus Day
October 11th - Switch to Winter Uniforms
HSA Halloween costume swap begins
5th-grade on River Walk field trip
October 13th - OLF hosting cross-country meet at Mervin Meadows
October 14th - Saints Walkathon beginning at 12:45 on the school grounds
October 15th - Pre-K Playdate on the playground between 10:00 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
October 16th - Open House for new families from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
October 17th - Lifetouch school photos
October 18th - Lifetouch school photos
October 19th - Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
Pre-K 4 through Second grade fieldtrip to Silverman's Farm
October 20th - Living Rosary
October 21st - Halloween Bingo
October 26th - Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
October 31st - Pre-K through Second grade Halloween Parade after morning
November 1st - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
November 2nd - Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
November 4th - First Friday mass hosted by the Student Government
November 8th - No school - Teacher PD
November 9th - Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
November 12th - International Family Night in the gym
November 16th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
November 17th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 23 - Noon dismissal
Mom and Tots Playgroup at 10:00 a.m.
November 24/25 - Thanksgiving Recess
November 29th to December 2nd - Scholastic Book Fair
December 1st - 8th graders to see the play, Wicked, at the Oakdale Theatre
5th graders baking Ginger Bread houses here in school
December 2nd - First Friday Mass hosted by Grade 7
December 6th - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
December 8th - No school for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 11th - School Christmas Party
December 21st - Christmas Pageant at 1:00 p.m.
December 23rd - Noon dismissal for Christmas recess
December 26 through January 2 - No school for Christmas recess
We switch to winter uniforms after Columbus Day. I love it when I am asked a question that I now know the answer to!
Everyone have a great, long weekend!