May 26, 2017
In celebration of Environment Week, the City of Edmonton invites residents to come for a free tour of the world-renowned Edmonton Waste Management Centre. To date, over 150,000 people have seen the centre in action.
The city urges people to reserve a space quickly, as these popular tours book up fast.
Date: Saturday June 3, 2017
Times: 10 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., and 2 p.m.
Dates: Tuesday, June 6 to Thursday, June 8, 2017
2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Reservation: Reservations are required. Please call: 780-496-5698
Location: Edmonton Waste Management Centre, 250 Aurum Road NE. Near Yellowhead Trail & Anthony Henday
During a two-hour tour of the facilities visitors will learn how:
- Garbage is used to create compost at one of North America’s largest composting facilities
- Recyclables are sorted and prepared for market
- Decomposing garbage inside a landfill is used to create electricity
- E-waste such as computers and TVs are recycled
- Non-recyclable and non-compostable waste can be turned into methanol and ethanol at the new waste-to-biofuels facility
Please note that tours are not suitable for children younger than nine years old.
For more information visit Environment Week Tours or call 780-496-5698.