August 24, 2018
The summer weather is perfect for wasps, which can pose a concern for residents and waste collectors, especially for those who may have life-threatening allergic reactions. Some collectors have already reported stings.
The City is asking for the public’s help to keep our collectors safe by following these simple tips:
- Clean empty wine, juice and pop containers and seal them in bags, as wasps are attracted to sugar and alcohol.
- Pick up and dispose of all apples and overripe fruit from lawns.
- Ensure garbage and recycling bags are tied up and cans are covered with lids.
- Keep it light, each bag or filled can should be lighter than 20 kg or 44 lb.
- Keep waste storage area tidy and remove wasp nests as soon as they are discovered.
- Use wasp traps to keep wasps away from waste collection areas.
For residents with a compost pile, make sure to keep it wet, turn it regularly and always cover fresh waste such as fruits and vegetables with dry leaves or soil to discourage wasps.