* 6 slices bacon
* 5 cups popped popcorn (preferably plain)
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 4 tbsp butter
* 2 tbsp light corn syrup
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans
* 1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
* 1/4 tsp chili flakes
* candy thermometer
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (121 C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy, drain off the fat and let cool. Once cool, coarsely chop the bacon into half-inch pieces.
3. Place bacon, popcorn, and chopped pecans into a large bowl and toss them together.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup and stir them together over medium heat. Once the sugar and butter have melted, stop stirring and insert the candy thermometer.
5. Continue to cook the sugar until it reaches 238 degrees F (114 C) (app. 3-4 minutes)
6. Once at the proper temperature, remove pan from the heat, add the baking soda, and stir vigorously. Be careful during this step: the sugar mixture will foam up.
7. Pour the foamy sugar over the popcorn mixture in the bowl and quickly stir everything together, making sure the popcorn, nuts, and bacon are coated with caramel.
8. Spread the popcorn out over the prepared baking sheet. Bake for +/-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to distribute the caramel.
9. Once it is golden brown and crunchy, take popcorn out of the oven and allow to cool completely. Bacon Caramel Popcorn may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.