Heavy rain and high winds, with flooding and possible icing are forecast through tomorrow morning. While Montgomery Township emergency responders and local utilities are ready, our residents' cooperation and preparation is also necessary to ensure your safety. Flying debris, downed trees & power lines, and power outages are all possibilities. In fact, two township roads have already been closed at this time.
Dutchtown Zion Rd is closed between Rt. 601 & Pin Oak Rd. due to downed poles, wires, and trees. East Mountain Road is closed between Rt. 601 and Mountain View Road due to a downed tree.
To receive emergency info, such as above road closures, subscribe to Montgomery's
Nixle Police Notices
- text your zip code to 888777.
The Montgomery Twp. Police Department reminds our citizens of advised actions in light of this storm
-If at all possible, stay off the roads tonight.
- In advance remove or otherwise secure all outside materials which may become airborne during high wind gusts.
-Turn around, don't drown! Police may have not yet barricaded a flooded area. Anytime there are inches of water crossing a roadway, you should not cross into it, as enough water can lift even a heavy vehicle.
- Respect road barricades. Police will remove them as soon as conditions are safe. It might be due to winds taking down a power line you don't even see, and not just flooding.
- Do not approach a downed wire. Assume it is live with electricity and report it to PSE&G (see below instructions).
-Keep cell phones charged and flashlights handy in the event of a power outage.
-Sign up ahead to report by text Power Outages to PSE&G at 1-800-436-7734 (PSEG)
- Fill up gas tanks in advance and always keep a blanket, flashlight & emergency kit in car.
-If you own a generator, check that it is in working order now. Make sure it is properly ventilated when in use.
- Power outage prep may include storing potable and flushing water, and keeping batteries, food, medications & other needed supplies on hand.
-If you encounter a downed line or are out of power, please call PSE&G at 1-800-436-7734. In advance, sign up for MyAlerts at
so you may text "Out" to 4PSEG.
I invite you to contact me at (908) 874-3333 ext. 122 or by e-mail at
with any questions regarding Montgomery Township Emergency Management. In an emergency, always dial 9-1-1.
Captain Thomas Wain, Director
Montgomery Township Police Dept.