A Better Understanding Of Heartworms, Heartworm Medication And A Natural Alternative!
Many of you have most likely seen the gruesome displays and photos of the foot-long spaghetti-like worms in a dog's heart ... and if you don't want your dog to end up with those long ugly worms, we are told that we had better give her monthly preventive heartworm drugs, preferably year round.
As all people who care about their animals, you will do anything to prevent your pets from getting such a horrible parasite. We go through extreme measures to assure this by using heartworm medication.
The entire process of a heartworm takes approximatley 7 months, but in order for this, the enviroment must be perfect for them to prosper.
- Your dog has to be bitten by the right species of mosquito (and one that's already bitten another infected animal and has carried the larvae successfully)
- There have to be living microfilariae in the mosquito that must then bite your dog and deposit the microfilariae into your dogs system.
- The average temperature needs to reach and stay at or above 57°F for 45 days in a row, with at least two weeks of temperatures over 80° for the larvae to begin the cycle of growth.
And, it takes at least 5 ½ months for larvae to grow into adult heartworms.
Why Should I Say No To Heartworm Medication?
Conventional heartworm "preventative" drugs do not actually prevent heartworms. They kill heartworm larvae that may already be in your dog's body. So, if your dog hasn't been infected, you're giving him harmful drugs for something he doesn't even have.
Heartworm drugs are neurotoxic. This means that they work by paralyzing the nervous system of the microfilariae in your dog's body. As you can imagine, this is not good for your dog's nervous system either!
All of the heartworm meds that are typically recommended by a veterinarian contain dangerous ingredients like Ivermectin and Praziquantel with many common side effects. Such as...
- Redness, burning, tingling, or numbness of the skin
- Allergic reactions (facial swelling, hives, scratching)
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Decreased appetite/weight loss
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association,
65% of adverse drug reactions and 48% of all reported deaths resulting from drug reactions are caused by heartworm preventatives.
Wild Dogs Do Not Get Sick From Heartworms
It's true. Wild canines like wolves, coyotes and foxes don't seem to get sick or die from heartworm disease.
In a Wisconsin study from 1991 to 1996, researchers captured and tested adult wolves for disease. Only 2% of those wolves had any trace of heartworm.
Another study in Illinois tested 920 coyotes caught by hunters from 1995 to 1997. Only 16% had any incidence of heartworm, and even the ones who had it, weren't sick ... their body weights and fat reserves were unaffected.
The key is the
mmune system. The difference lies in what we do to our dogs to weaken their immune systems ... things like:
- Vaccination or over-vaccination
- Poor nutrition
- Exposure to toxins like drugs, pesticides, fertilizers, household cleaners, and other chemicals
Even the American Heartworm Society (AHS) admits on its website that "host immune responses affect the presence of circulating microfilariae" ... in other words, your dog's immune system can kill the microfilariae or prevent them from reproducing.
Natural Prevention And Better Health Overall!
You also play a role in
. Boost your dog's immune system to make it easier to flush out and either kill those larvae or stop them from reproducing. Here are 3 things you can do:
- Minimize vaccines. Vaccines have the potential to cause major health problems. The aluminum in vaccines is a grade 3 (out of 4) carcinogen. Many vaccines also contain mercury, an extreme neurotoxin. These ingredients can cause acute and chronic health problems ranging from allergies to cancer to death. Knowing this, it should come as no surprise that they also seriously compromise your dog's immune system.Your dog probably doesn't even need them as the core vaccines he had as a puppy provide immunity that can last from 7 to 15 years!
- Feed a raw fresh diet or add fresh raw food to their diet! The process of making kibble strips it from most nutritional value and depletes your dogs immune system.
- Limit your dogs exposure to toxic chemicals such as houshold cleaning products, pestisides and fertilizers.
Natural Immune Support And Heartworm Prevention At Bark!
Studied for 4 years for use as a heartworm preventative with 100% success, prior to being retailed as a heartworm preventative.
HWF can be an excellent effective natural heartworm preventative AND it is on sale this month (see below for all specials)!
Transfer factor helps the immunes system by:
1. Recognizing Invaders - helps immune cells quickly identify invading threats.
2. Responding - Transfer factors help speed up the immune system's response to a potential threat after it's been identified.
3. Remembering - Transfer factors lend a hand in remembering the specific makeup of the threats your immune system encounters, so the next time it's encountered, your body knows exactly what it is and how to combat it.
- Safe and gentle daily detox for the liver and kidneys
- Barley Grass, Alfalfa and Bee pollen make it a great nutritional supplement
- Prevent re-infestation of parasites in the GI tract
- Keeps the immune system working in top form
- Contains sea veggies to help nourish the thyroid for optimum function, which is vital to overall hormonal health.
- And best of all, they have added a patented full spectrum probiotic so now, it's all in one bag
Understanding that a heartworm is a parasite is so important because it helps you to understand that it is preventable and you do not need harmful chemicals to do so. Knowing that by supporting your dog's immune system and overall health, a parasite can easily be prevented and not at the cost of their health.
If you ever have any questions about pet nutrition or natural preventatives please come talk to us!
The Bark Avenue Team.
In case you missed last month's newsletter, below is a link to Rodney Habib's live fb post on the controversy between grain free diets and heart health:
We Have Added Many New Items and Brands
Add to your washer and dryer to remove hair from clothes, dog beds, blankets, etc. It can be re-used for hundreds of washes.
HandsOn Grooming Gloves
You will be amazed at how much hair these gloves remove from y
our pet. Plus your pet will think you are petting them!
These are long-lasting handmade toys from Napal
Hair Bows and Bow-Ties
Very stylish new hair bows and bow ties!
HWF (Heartworm Free) Herbal Supplement
Bones & Co
- 20% Off All Freeze-Dried Food
- 20% Off All Instinct Kibble PLUS Enter A Chance to Win A YETI Cooler!
The Honest Kitchen
- $5 Off 4lb Boxes
- $10 Off 10lb Boxes
Champion Pet Foods
- Buy A Large Bag, Get A Small Bag Of A Different Variety Free