Taylor joins the Red Claws after previously working as the top assistant coach for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League. As an assistant with the Vipers, Taylor was responsible for developing game plans, scouting, practice plans and player development. Taylor also has international experience as an assistant coach for the Czech Republic National Team during the summers of 2010, 2011 and 2012. Taylor also was the head coach for Ratiopharm Ulm in Germany from 2003-11 when he took the team from the 2nd Bundesliga and helped guide them to promotion to the Bundesliga and into the Bundesliga playoffs. In his 10 seasons in Europe between teams in Germany and England, Taylor amassed a record of 188-115.
"Mike impressed us with not only his coaching experience, but his enthusiasm and ability to develop young players," said Boston Celtics Director of Player Personnel Austin Ainge. "He brings a blend of international and NBA D-League experience that will benefit the Celtics' players assigned to Maine and the entire Red Claws' roster."
2012-13 will mark the 4th season that the Celtics have used the Maine Red Claws as their NBA Development League affiliate and the first under the new hybrid affiliation. Under the new agreement, Boston will be Maine's sole NBA affiliate and will have full control over the team's basketball operations.
The Red Claws will tip of their 4th season on November 23 with two games on the road before returning to Maine for their home opener on November 30 vs. the Los Angeles D-Fenders, the NBADL affiliate of the Lakers. For information about the Red Claws schedule and tickets, visit www.maineredclaws.com or call (207) 210-6655.
MIKE TAYLOR'S BIO:
10 seasons in Europe (2001-2011): 303 games 188 wins 115 loses (62%)
CZECH REPUBLIC NATIONAL TEAM
- Assistant coach Czech Republic national team summers 2010, 2011, 2012
- 1st American coach in history of Czech Republic Basketball Federation
- Summer 2012 Earned qualification for Eurobasket 2013 in Slovenia (Group F 5-3)
- Summer 2011 won group C of B division (5-1)
- Coached former Celtic Jiri Welsch and current Washington Wizards 2nd round pick Tomas Satoransky
- 2011-2012 Top assistant Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Offensive performance, player development, scouting, game plans, practice plans under direction of Nick Nurse
- 2003-2011 Head Coach Ratiopharm Ulm in Germany
- 8 seasons with one organization: built organization step-by-step from 2nd Bundesliga into Bundesliga playoff team
Developed 3 German National team players (Robin Benzing, Per Gunther, Konrad Wysocki)
- Earned Reputation as excellent working with/developing young talent
2005-2006 2nd Bundesliga South championship (29-1 record) earning promotion into Bundesliga
- 2008-2009 Bundesliga Playoffs 21-13
- 2002-2003 Head Coach Essex Leopards (London), British Basketball League
- 2001-2002 Head coach BV Chemnitz 99ers, 3rd Division Germany
- Won 3rd Division Regional League South East, earning promotion into 2nd Bundesliga
USA MINOR LEAGUES
- Experience in USBL
- summers 2002 with Dodge City Legend, 2004 and 2005 with Kansas Cagerz
- Pittsburg State Kansas
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- Father Dick Taylor former was an assistant under Bob Knight at West Point and under Willis Reed with NY Knicks and Creighton University and was head coach at Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- Motivational Speaker (USA and Germany)
- Mike and fianc?e Alice will reside in Portland