The California Environmental Literacy Blueprint was recently released. It will provide important opportunities to integrate environmental literacy throughout the K-12 education system. This Blueprint was a collaborative project between the California Department of Education's Environmental Literacy Task Force, the Glen Price Group and countless stakeholders throughout the state.
Five working teams spent over a year outlining goals and recommendations in these areas:
1. Learning Environments and Expanding Reach
2. Instructional Materials and Educator Professional Learning
3. System Integration of Environmental Literacy with Common Core, NGSS, STEM and other current initiatives such as EEI
4. Learning Outcomes and Monitoring and Assessment of Environmental Literacy
5. Sustainable Funding for Environmental Literacy
These goals will take many partnerships to bring this Blueprint to fruition in California. You are each considered a valued partner and each of you is needed to make sure our students can access environmental literacy, throughout their entire K-12 public school experience. This plan lays the groundwork for how ALL students can enjoy equal access. The outcome should be environmentally literate adults able to understand, tackle and solve California's complex environmental concerns.
With the recent fires and on-going drought in California, this Blueprint couldn't have released at a better time. If you would like to learn more you can download the document here:
Please share this newsletter with your fellow teachers and colleagues. We need all of us!