Reminder - Developing the Amended Blue Box Program Plan:
In Discussion with Ontario Municipalities and First Nations Communities
As an Ontario municipality or First Nations community interested in proposed amendments to the Blue Box Program Plan designed to facilitate transition to full producer responsibility, your feedback and suggestions are essential as Stewardship Ontario develops a proposal for an amended Blue Box Program Plan (a-BBPP).
Thank you to those of you who have already registered for the two upcoming meetings: Module 1; scheduled for Thursday, October 12 and Module 2 on Friday, October 27. If you have not yet registered and wish to attend, please use the registration links below.
The Module 1 meeting on October 12
will focus on the collection and post-collection features of the proposed a-BBPP that address the transition process to full producer responsibility. We will discuss:
- Requirements from the Minister's Letter that pertain to municipalities and First Nations communities, as well as details about the consultation process.
- The proposed method for calculating payments to non-transitioned municipalities and First Nations Communities, including the eligible sources of paper products and packaging (PPP), as well as eligible costs and revenue.
- The proposed transition process, eligibility criteria and timelines for transitioning communities.
- The proposed procurement and payment frameworks that will be utilized in transitioned communities.
- Proposed approach to expanding services, including multi-family units not currently serviced by municipalities, and consideration of new communities and public space recycling.
- And more ...
Thursday, October 12, 2017
1:00 - 3:30 p.m. Eastern, 12:00 - 2:30 p.m. Central
Online via webcast or in-person at the Best Western PLUS Toronto Airport, 5825 Dixie Rd., Mississauga, ON L4W 4V7
The Module 2 meeting on October 27
will focus on the performance requirements of the transitioned recycling system as they pertain to municipalities and First Nations communities as collection service providers to Stewardship Ontario. This will be another opportunity for us to gather your feedback and to discuss:
- The proposed definitions of obligated packaging and paper product, including paper products, primary packaging, convenience packaging and transportation packaging.
- The proposed standardized list of targeted materials for collection, along with the proposed targets.
- Proposed collection and management standards.
- And more ...
Date: Friday, October 27, 2017
Time: 1:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Online via webcast or in-person at the Best Western PLUS Toronto Airport, 5825 Dixie Rd., Mississauga, ON L4W 4V7
Please note that you need to register for each meeting separately.
On August 14, 2017 the Ontario Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Hon. Chris Ballard issued a letter directing Stewardship Ontario and the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (the Authority) to prepare an a-BBPP by February 15, 2018. The amended Plan will transition the program from its current shared cost model to full producer responsibility pursuant to s.13 of the Waste Diversion Transition Act, 2016 (WDTA). For more information on the a-BBPP initiative, click here.
The discussion and feedback gathered from this meeting will help Stewardship Ontario draft a proposal for an a-BBPP. In addition to these meetings, a series of local consultations will be held throughout the province in November, and invitations to these sessions will be issued shortly. The draft a-BBPP proposal will be sent out to municipalities and First Nations communities in December for further review and feedback, before being finalized and submitted to the Authority for approval. The final proposal, if approved by the Authority, will then be submitted to the Minister before the February 15, 2018 deadline.