January 9, 2017
Reminder to JOIN TODAY'S WEBINAR at 4-6 Eastern, & Other Refugee Opportunities ASAP!
This is a friendly reminder that we'd love to have you join us TODAY from 4-6 p.m. for our Grassroots Webinar. Please REGISTER below-and see additional action opportunities (below and attached) upcoming THIS WEEK and beyond!
So MANY of you have asked how to help refugees and immigrants in this important time!! Especially as we remember during Epiphany season how Jesus' family themselves became refugees to escape violence, WE INVITE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS TO ENGAGE IN THIS "HANDFUL OF ACTION OPPORTUNITIES" TO SUPPORT REFUGEES AND IMMIGRANTS IN THIS NEW YEAR AHEAD-and especially NEXT WEEK!
1. JOIN OUR NATIONAL GRASSROOTS INTERACTIVE WEBINAR ON MONDAY, JANUARY 9TH, 4-6 p.m. Eastern Time to prepare for how we can TOGETHER support refugees and immigrants in this New Year ahead!!
This will be a new type of interactive webinar! We will link with multi-denominational partners from ALL around the country during the presentation and powerpoint sections of the call, and then will have opportunity on the call to gather together uniquely as Disciples, and with our UCC brothers and sisters, or conversation and strategizing! OR, you may wish to join together as a group with your local area partners!
On the day of the webinar, you'll join by going to: http://join.me/faith4immigration and following the directions for audio and visual. For AUDIO ONLY you can dial +1.202.602.1295, and use Access Code: 354-977-836#. (Some folks report that they can hear best on the webinar when they watch the powerpoint through the faith4immigration link, but dial in for audio on their phone. But, it's your choice!)
Then, you'll be invited (following the presentations by speakers) to participate in "team conversations." During this team break-out portion of the webinar, our Disciples and UCC folks will hold conversations as a group together via Zoom meeting. Join to see visuals by computer at:
or by phone for audio only, by dialing:
, and enter the meeting ID: 447 831 994#
2. ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY, we invite you to Call your Senators and urge them to lift up the importance of refugee resettlement in the upcoming confirmation hearings.
"I'm your constituent from [STATE], and my community welcomes refugees. As you prepare for the upcoming confirmation hearings, please ask the nominee to affirm the importance of the U.S. refugee resettlement program. Resettlement is a core American legacy that extends freedom and opportunity for refugees to rebuild their lives in safety and dignity."
Go here for more information
, or enter this website location:
, where you can find the specific senators and their contact information from your state who are members of particular Senate committees which are considering nominees!
3. FOR THOSE IN THE DC/MARYLAND/NORTHERN VIRGINIA AREA, we invite you to Show your Support for Refugees and Immigrants by attending the January 10th and 11th confirmation hearings!
- Help us pack the room and demonstrate support for refugees and immigrants for the confirmation hearings for Jeff Sessions, Rex Tillerson, and General John Kelly. RSVP here or go to: http://bit.ly/PackHearings if you can attend on Jan. 10th or 11th so people can be kept up to date on any changes!
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE JEFF SESSIONS HEARING WILL HAPPEN FIRST. Plan to arrive at Russell Senate Office Building, Room by at LEAST 8:30 a.m. (8 if you can!) on Tuesday, January 10th, in order to be able to get in!
- Our presence will show our faith community support for refugees (as we will WEAR ORANGE and will wear REFUGEES WELCOME STICKERS.) The stickers will be provided to you at the hearing location rooms.
- We're hoping each candidate will be asked already submitted questions which request their support for refugees. Again, our PRESENCE will demonstrate GREAT SUPPORT for refugees and immigrants!!
- Below are the various key committees that will consider nominees, the names of nominees, and positions for which they are nominated:
*Judiciary Committee: Jeff Sessions, Nominee for Attorney General - hearing Jan 10 & 11
*Homeland Security Committee: General Kelly, Nominee for Secretary of Homeland Security - hearing Jan 11
*Foreign Relations: Rex Tillerson, Nominee for Secretary of State - hearing Jan 11; and Nikki Haley, Nominee for U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, hearing TBA
*Health Education Labor & Pensions (HELP) Committee: Tom Price, Nominee for Secretary of Health and Human Services - hearing TBA
Please note that we are NOT posting this request for folks to pack the hearing rooms on social media or on websites and ask that you only share this information over email.
4. ALSO, IF PEOPLE CAN'T ATTEND HEARINGS NOW, BUT ARE IN THE DC AREA, PLEASE
sign up for the DMV Area Refugee-Immigrant Rapid Response Network
to receive information about ongoing ways you can physically show up to be a part of local actions and demonstrate solidarity with refugees & immigrants. You can also find the sign up form to join the DMV Area Refugee-Immigrant Rapid Response Network at:
to sign a letter related to General Kelly (nominee for Secretary of Homeland Security.) Note: Sign ons are due by close of day on Monday, Jan. 9th!
Thank you so much for your ongoing support for refugees and immigrants.
Rev. Dr. Sharon Stanley-Rea Five Thomas Circle, N.W.
(202) 957-7826 (Cell)
Director of Refugee & Immigration Ministries
Disciples Home Missions
Refugee & Immigration Ministries is a ministry of Disciples Home Missions in Partnership with the Christian Church Capital Area and the Disciples Center for Public Witness