GVSHP Header

October 11, 2013            


TEN YEARS OF PROGRESS
ON LANDMARK AND ZONING PROTECTIONS --
AND THE ROAD AHEAD


Dear friend,

 

 

 

Page 24 - Colorful "Old Law" tenements at 229-235 Sullivan Street (1886) in the South Village.

As we come to the end of the Bloomberg era, this meticulously detailed and richly photographed report examines what GVSHP has been able to accomplish over the last ten years, including helping secure landmark designation of a thousand buildings, and contextual rezoning or "downzoning" of nearly one hundred blocks. And as we enter a new era at City Hall, the report also peers ahead to outline what we still need to do, and areas of our neighborhood still requiring protection.

 

"Ten Years: A Thousand Buildings: One Hundred Blocks" takes a comprehensive look at:    

 

Page 48 - 7 Leroy Street (1830), Greenwich Village Historic District South Village Extension, designated 2010.
  • the approximately one thousand buildings GVSHP helped to get landmarked (including ten historic districts and forty-two individual landmarks) over the last ten years, as well as highlighting the various building types and points of cultural significance among them  
  • the nearly one hundred blocks we have been able to help get contextually rezoned or "downzoned" over the past decade, to prevent future oversized development and eliminate incentives for dorm and hotel construction in our residential neighborhoods
  • many of the "Blocked Projects" we have managed to stop, including three separate plans to build the tallest tower ever in the low-rise Village
  • projects where we have "moved the needle" - affecting the final outcome by making projects we opposed less onerous or impactful
  • in 'Looking to the Future,' the report examines the work GVSHP will be undertaking in the months and years ahead, and the areas of our neighborhood which still lack adequate protections and are vulnerable to inappropriate demolition or out-of-scale new construction
    Page 52- Congregation Ansche Meseritz Synagogue (Herman Horenburger, 1910), 415 East 6th Street, East Village Historic District, designated 2012 -- the last operating 'tenement synagogue' in the East Village.
The full size (32MB) report is here, while a smaller version (16 MB) can be found here.

 

Everything GVSHP accomplishes is made possible by the support of our members and the cooperation of allied groups and public officials.

Please read and share the report, and if you like what GVSHP does, please make a contribution to ensure we can continue our work.

 
Sincerely,
Andrew Berman 
Executive Director

You Help Make it Happen!

Donate

              Find us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter  View our photos on flickr  View our videos on YouTube