PLEASE NOTE: There are 2 different locations for the presentations & panels, Friday & Saturday. You must register for the conference to attend the sessions and lectures, but the Keynote & PRC exhibition reception are also open to the public.
2015 SPE-NE - "Advocacy" - CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Conference content on website is in progress, abstracts and biographies to come.
FRIDAY, November 6th
871 Commonwealth Ave., BU College of General Studies, Room 129, BU West T-Stop, Green Line
(paid parking at meters or BU lot info can be found here)
10:30am - 12:00pm
- Volunteer Training at the Photographic Resource Center, 832 Commonwealth Ave.
12:30 - 4:00pm -
coffee outside Room 129, BU CGS, 871 Comm. Ave.
12:30 - 1:30pm
- Portfolio sharing, same location
2pm - Conference begins
2:00 - 2:45pm
- Kai Plews, University of Iowa - "Illegal Art: Photography In The Age Of The Ag Gag Law"
2:45 - 3:30 pm
David Mussina, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - "Mystic River Watershed Association & Save Silver Maple Forest"
3:30 - 4:15pm
- DM Witman, Unity College, Maine - "MELT"
4:30 - 5:30pm -
KEYNOTE SPEAKER - Maria Magdalena Campos-Pons,
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Lecture is also open to the public (non-conference attendees $10 at the door)
6:00 - 8:00pm
- SOWA First Fridays Galleries, 450 Harrison Ave., South End, Boston,
There are many great galleries to see art and restaurants nearby for dinner. Transportation TBD.
SATURDAY, November 7th
640 Commonwealth Ave., BU College of Communications, Room 101, Blandford T-Stop, Green Line
(paid parking at meters or BU lot info can be found
8:00am - 12:00pm
Registration outside Room 101, BU COM, 640 Comm. Ave.
9:00 - 9:15am
- Opening Remarks - Bruce Myren, SPE-NE Regional Chair
9:15 - 10:15am
INVITED SPEAKER - Jane D. Marsching, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
10:15 - 10:30am
- Coffee Break
10:30 - 11:15am
- Emily Schiffer, MFA Candidate, University of Michigan
- "SEE POTENTIAL"
11:15am - 12:00pm
- Mary Beth Meehan, Providence, RI - "Photography, Visibility and Community"
12:00 - 1:00pm
(box lunch will be provided with conference registration)
12:00 - 12:45pm
Regional Business Meeting
1:15 - 2:00pm
Claire Beckett, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston &
Lisa Tobias, Terra Foundation - "The Converts"
2:00 - 2:45pm
- Zoe Perry-Wood, Lexington, MA - "The BAGLY Prom Series"
2:45 - 3:00pm
- Coffee Break
3:00 - 3:45pm
Isis Charise, Kingston, NY - "The GRACE Project"
3:45 - 4:45pm
- PANEL: O. Gustavo Plascencia and students, Adams State University
- "Exploring Service Learning and Social Change Through Photography"
5:00 - 6:00pm
- HONORED EDUCATOR - Arno Rafael Minkkinen, University of Massachusetts, Lowell
6:30 - 9:00pm
- OPENING RECEPTION
Evidence and Advocacy: SPE Northeast Juried Exhibition
Photographic Resource Center
at BU, 832 Comm. Ave, BU West T-stop, Green Line, but also walk-able from BU COM
Reception is also open to the public
Schedule subject to change, please check website for up-to-date information