Help feed the hungry in Santa Rosa County this fall by donating unopened jars of peanut butter during the annual Peanut Butter Challenge, coordinated by UF/IFAS Extension in Santa Rosa County through Nov. 22.
"We hope to surpass our total from last year, which was 2045.9 pounds of peanut butter in 1049 jars," said Chris Verlinde, Santa Rosa County extension agent.
Since 2012, volunteers and UF/IFAS Extension faculty have collected jars of peanut butter from residents, volunteer groups and businesses in 16 northwest Florida counties. The Santa Rosa County drop off locations include:
- UF/IFAS County Extension offices in Milton, Jay and the South Annex Master Gardener office
- Santa Rosa County offices, libraries and tax collector
- United Bank locations in Pace, Milton and Jay
- Lowes stores in Pace and Gulf Breeze
- UF Milton and Pensacola State College
- City of Milton
- St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Milton
"We provide the collected peanut butter to local food pantries. Peanut butter is frequently requested by these organizations, as it is a healthy protein-rich food source," said Mary Salinas, Santa Rosa County extension agent.
If you or your organization is interested collecting peanut butter for the 2017 challenge, contact Mary Salinas at 850-623-3868, or Chris Verlinde at 850-623-3868.