Students often have a difficult time adjusting to their normal school routine after having an extended time off from school. It is important to set up healthful school day routines at home so that their time in school is successful.
Consider these five "school year resolutions" for minimizing stress and maximizing well-being.
1. Organize the Night Before. A mad morning rush starts everyone's day with unnecessary stress. Skip the drama by taking a few unhurried minutes the evening before to load backpacks and lay out school clothing. Also, if there are forms to sign or lunches to pack, do this the evening before.
2. Set a Bedtime and Stick to It. School children need about 9 hours of sleep each night. Kids who do not wake easily often seem irritable or lack day time energy, and therefore, need more sleep. Getting enough sleep is important for so many things, such as overall growth to learning and concentrating in school.
3. Make Breakfast. If your child has not eaten since the night before, they will not have sufficient energy for the school day. Kids learn better when there is food in their stomachs, so make sure they eat breakfast before heading off to school.
4. Know the Weather. Be aware of the weather for the day before your child leaves for school. Have them wear rain jackets for possible rain, and a heavier jacket if the weather will be turning cooler. They will be uncomfortable walking outside and playing at recess if they are not dressed properly for the weather.
5. Spell out Expectations. Discuss appropriate classroom behavior, a homework policy, balancing social time and schoolwork, and grade goals. When they know what is expected of them, they will be aware of how to stay on the right path for a successful school year.
Mrs. Jarvis, RN