Dear Church Family,
It is being to look a lot like Advent all around St. Peter's! Thank you all for a wonderful Sunday. It was terrific to have so many in worship. It especially warmed my heart to see so many children participating in the Christmas Pageant rehearsal. I can't wait until Christmas Eve. I know the pageant is going to be terrific.
This Sunday, December 10th, is Advent II. The readings are a classic study in prophets. In the Old Testament, we have the words with which Handel chose to begin the Messiah: "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people," says your God . .. A voice cries in the wilderness "Prepare ye the way of the Lord . . . every valley shall be exalted and every mountain and hill made low." It is some of the finest poetry and most empowering words in all of scripture!
But the prophetic scripture lessons for this Sunday are not solely about comfort. They are also about challenge. The Gospel lesson is the opening of Mark. It is a vivid introduction to John the Baptist, the New Testament's original wild man. John is a man that demands truth. However, the truth is not always popular. John reminds all of us that the word of the Lord comes to us in the wilderness of our lives. How do we heed this bug eating prophet and Prepare the way for the Lord? How do we make space for Christ in our own world? We are called to examine our lives, priorities, values, behavior. Are we headed in the right direction? Are we headed in the direction of good? Are we headed in the direction of God? If not, then heed the prophet and repent. Turn around. Change direction. Comfort and challenge . . . tough but important themes for this second Sunday of Advent! Fortunately, we have a church family where we can tackle these life challenges together.
A great way to express "The Spirit of Christmas" by giving to God!
OUR FUTURE - OUR FAITH - OUR TIME
We invite everyone - members, friends, and regular visitors - to take a pledge card if you have not yet done so. They are on the table in the Narthex and available online through our website. Prayerfully consider how you might respond to God's Grace in your life by making a pledge of support for St. Peter's in 2018. It takes all of us responding proportionately and joyfully to do the work of God through our beloved St. Peter's. All of us together are the Body of Christ in thisplace.
We have received about 27 pledges for calendar 2018 toward our goal of 65 pledges we hope to receive this year. Please prayerfully and generously respond to God's call in your life.
Here is some of our work from the
Early Childhood Program from thanksgiving, and looking forward to advent!
Feel free to join us for
a Parent's Day Out fundraiser event on December 9th. Bring your child by between 9 am and 1 pm and get a few hours for Christmas shopping, or just to get a break! Pizza lunch will be provided. $35 for one child, $50 for two or more.
We'll also be opening enrollment for children 3.5-5 in January! Contact Beth Watt about the fundraiser or enrollment
Amazon Smile is a fundraising opportunity for anyone who shops at Amazon.com, where 0.5% of your purchases will be donated to St. Peter's. Visit https://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7348977 to connect to St. Peter's donation account, then remember to shop at https://smile.amazon.com on subsequent visits. Enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. With your efforts, the Amazon Smile program has raised close to $300 over the last two years towards the general St. Peter's operating budget.
(View all events, including recurring events on our
Upcoming events page
- The Early Childhood Program is hosting a Parent's Day Out fundraiser event on December 9th. Bring your child by between 9 am and 1 pm and get a few hours for Christmas shopping, or just to get a break! Pizza lunch will be provided. $35 for one child, $50 for two or more.
- WUMCO Christmas Please bring barely used or new scarves, mittens and gloves to decorate the mitten tree, and coats and sweaters for the coat rack. There is a sign up for Christmas food cards. Please get cards in $10 donation increments from Walmart or Target, if possible. This way the cards can be used for food and other gifts for their families. Please get cards in by this Sunday Dec. 10th. Thank you for all of your effort!!If you want to support a family with children let us know, and get a small toy and clothing along with the food card. Sign ups are open until Dec 7.
- The WSP is collecting stocking stuffers to go into Christmas stocking they will make, so there will be a box for that as well.
- We need everything together by Sunday, December 17th so we can give it out at the church on December 21st from 4 to 8 pm.
- Thank you, God bless you always, and Merry Christmas! If you have any questions please call Jane or Steve 301-972-8020, email@example.com
- St. James is hosting a Free Living Nativity! They will have a petting zoo with live animals, music, cookies, and apple cider on Sunday, December 10, from 6:00-7:30 pm.
- Cherubs Music Has moved to Mondays!! Please join us for a free music class open to the community for children ages 3-6. Meets Mondays from 4-5 pm. The Cherubs Program follows a familiar pattern; children attend a weekly ensemble rehearsal with varied movement activities and games and periodically play their songs for the congregation and community.
- Mother Emily is hosting "One Baby Two Stories," a 2 part advent exploration of the birth of Jesus. Join us at in the library between the services to learn more about this season of anticipation December 3 and 10.
- Pecans are Here! The pecan order has arrived and they will be for sale starting on Sunday. The cost is $12 for pound bags of halves, small pieces and large pieces. Cinnamon glazed are $9 for 10 ounce bags.
- Christmas Pageant rehearsals will be Sunday, December 10, and 17 after the 10:00 service, and Saturday the 23rd at 3 pm with a pizza party afterwards. The pageant will be on Christmas Eve at 4:00 pm.
- Christmas Flower Memorials Sign up sheets will be in foyer from 12/3-12/17. A $20 donation for the Christmas Flower Memorials go to help defray cost of decorating the sanctuary for the holidays.
- Calling all children and youth!! Anyone 3rd grade and older is invited to help serve in our Sunday worship services as an acolyte. If you or your child is interested please contact Mother Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Group meets for Bible Study on Sunday mornings at 9:00 in the Youth Room. All students in grades 6-12 are encouraged to attend.
WUMCO is in urgent need of cereal, canned fruit, other canned foods and pasta! Anything you can share with those in our community in need would be appreciated. Contact Jane Horvath with questions at (301) 972-8020
- WOMEN OF ST. PETER'S CHRISTMAS DINNER
ALL women (not just active WSPers but everybody!) are invited to attend our annual Christmas Dinner Potluck and Gift Exchange. It will be at the home of Nancy Dowdy (15300 Partnership Road, Poolesville) starting at 6:30 on Tuesday, December 12. Please bring a dish to share, wear an "ugly" Christmas sweater, and also bring a wrapped gift for our Secret Santa gift exchange. Gift should not cost more than $10, or find a white elephant that needs a new home. Make it silly, funny, outrageous or totally "normal". The idea is to have a laughing good time! HO, HO, HOpe you can come!!! Sign up in the church foyer or RSVP to Barbara at email@example.com .
- The Flower Guild will meet to decorate the sanctuary for Christmas on Saturday, December 23rd at 9:00am. Please bring greens, holly and your clippers. No experience necessary. Have fun dressing up our beautiful church for the Christmas season.
Please Pray for Members and Friends of our Parish:
Samantha Baker, Mary White Lok, Sam Hardwick, Chris Rabida, Berry Thompson, Winsome Brown, Lana Ragazinsky, Thomas G. Lee
Pray Those in our country's Armed Forces:
Nathan Rolls, Simon Brown, William Stamm,
Donnie Ackad, Bernie Mihm, Chelsea Ohmen, Amy Stamm, James Vandersea, Liza Taylor, Caroline Kraegel, Joyce Brown
In the Diocese:
Episcopal Church Women
Memorial Scholarship of the Episcopal Church Women
United Thank Offering
Bishop John Bryson Chane Scholarship for Social Justice
, 2017 - The Second Sunday of Advent
8:00 a.m. Service
Eucharistic Minister - Bruce Kirby
Lectors - Kathy Jankowski, Carol Baxter
Ushers - Don Ackad
10:00 a.m. Service
Eucharistic Minister - Patricia Brown
Lectors - Sandy Steele, Joel Tjornehoj
Ushers -Alison Romano, Andy Romano
2 Peter 3:8-15a
Psalm 85:1-2, 8-13
Here's what's happening at St. Peters!