Entrepreneurs: Admired for Their Contributions!
The editorial staff of Entrepreneur magazine identified several ways that entrepreneurs are preparing our world for a better future. Included in their list were the following positive entrepreneurial trends: (1) listening to new voices, (2) helping customers in real time, (3) rethinking industries, (4) reaching new audiences, (5) shaping small cities, (6) creating thoughtful, useful tech, (7) fixing hiring, (8) being distinct, and (9) blazing new frontiers (www.entrepreneur.com/article/ 285122). Who wouldn't be proud to called an "entrepreneur," given all of the ways that entrepreneurs contribute to the U.S. economy and economies around the world?
University of Scranton to be 21st Sigma Nu Tau Chapter! Are you Interested in Starting a Sigma Nu Tau Chapter on your campus?
We are pleased to announce that The University of Scranton, which was established in 1888 as a private Catholic and Jesuit university, will be presented with its charter on February 16, 2017, and will be the 21st Sigma Nu Tau chapter in the U.S. Would your university like to be the first in your state or region to establish a Sigma Nu Tau chapter on your campus? You will gain a competitive advantage by being able to offer special programs and awards to your students!
If you would like to establish a chapter at your university so that you can recognize outstanding students, faculty members, entrepreneurs, and honorary members, please visit our website (SigmaNuTau.org) and check out our Facebook page to learn more about the process. Or give me a call to discuss it!
Feeling thankful at this time of year,
Nancy J. Church, Ph.D.
President and Executive Director
Sigma Nu Tau Entrepreneurship Honor Society
P.S. Does your school have any news that you would like us to include in the next issue of our e-newsletter? If so, please send it to me at email@example.com or SigmaNuTauEntHonorSociety@ gmail.com or post your news on the Sigma Nu Tau Facebook page!
P.P.S. Hope to see you at the USASBE Conference in Philadelphia from
January 19-22, 2017! Stop by our exhibitor booth for a useful free gift!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Current Entrepreneurial Articles of Interest
"The 8 Morning Secrets of Successful People"
How you wake up every morning can dictate how the rest of your day will go. That's why it is very important to approach every day with a strong and optimistic routine. The most successful people in the world definitely don't start their day by sleeping in or rolling out of bed. The first step of having a healthy morning routine is to wake up early with a positive mindset.
What do Richard Branson, Barack Obama, Jessica Ennis-Hill and Bruce Lee have in common? Below are the 8 morning secrets of these successful people:
- Early risers are known for their positivity, determination, problem- solving abilities and optimistic mentality
- Rise early and create that 25th hour
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
- Without a decent breakfast your body will run will little to no energy
- "The only one that can tell you 'you can't win' is you and you don't have to listen." - Jessica Ennis Hill
- The morning is the perfect time to review your to-do list
- Use this time to visualize your tasks for the day. A positive outlook will help you complete your goals
- A morning workout helps boost brain endorphins, resulting in a more positive mood
- Exercising before work helps boost creativity, energy and productivity as well as helping to lower stress levels
- "You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and falling over." - Richard Branson
- Sleep plays a vital role in your general well being
- While you sleep, your brain and body is fixing itself from the impact of day-to-day life. The quality of your sleep will impact how you feel the next day.
- Everything that you own should have its place
- A good early start to the day is half the battle and will give you motivation to stay ahead of your competition or even widen your lead
- The earlier you wake up, the quieter it is
- This makes mornings the perfect time for tasks that require concentration or focus
- "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek to see." - Barack Obama
For those that are always looking for a way to add more hours to a workday, adding extra early hours will help you get more done.
Rose Leadem. Entrepreneur Staff
Entrepreneur.com, November 16, 2016
"10 Things Truly Confident People do Differently"
Truly confident people always have the upper hand over the doubtful and the skittish because they inspire others and they make things happen. Henry Ford once said "whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right." Ford's notion that explains that one's mentality has the power to affect your ability to succeed. This is seen through recent studies at the University of Melbourne that showed that confident people earn higher wages and get promoted more quickly than anyone else.
Confident people have a huge impact on everyone they encounter. They are able to do this because they exert so much influence inside, on themselves. We only see their outside. We see them being innovative, speaking their minds and propelling themselves forward toward bigger and better things. Yet, we are missing the best part. We don't see the habits they develop to become so confident. Their focused pursuit is driven by these habits:
- They speak with certainty: Confident people speak assertively because they know that it's difficult to get people to listen to you if you can't deliver your ideas with conviction.
- They seek out small victories: Small victories build new androgen receptors in the areas of the brain responsible for reward and motivation. This increase in androgen receptors increases the influence of testosterone, which further increases their confidence and eagerness to tackle future challenges.
- They exercise: A study conducted at the Eastern Ontario Research Institute found that people who exercised twice a week for 10 weeks felt more competent socially, academically, and athletically
- They don't seek attention: People are turned off by those who are always looking for attention. Confident people know that being yourself is much more effective than trying to prove that you're important. Confident people are masters at diffusing attention. When they are receiving attention for an accomplishment, they quickly shift the focus to all the people who worked hard to help get them there.
- They don't pass judgement: Confident people don't pass judgement on others because they know that everyone has something to offer, and they don't need to take other people down a notch in order to feel better about themselves.
- They get their happiness from within: Happiness is a critical element of confidence, because in order to be confident in what you do, you have to be happy with who you are.
- They listen more than they speak.
- They take risks: When an opportunity arises, confident people take advantage of it. Fear doesn't hold them back because they know that if they don't try, they will never succeed.
- They aren't afraid to be wrong: Confident people aren't afraid to be proven wrong. They enjoy putting their opinions out there to see if they hold up because they learn a lot from the times they are wrong and other people learn from when they are right.
- They celebrate other people's success: Insecure people constantly doubt their relevance, and because of this, they try to steal the spotlight and criticize others in order to prove their worth. Confident people, on the other hand, aren't worried about their relevance because they draw their self-worth from within.
"Building confidence is a journey, not a destination. To become more confident you must be passionate in your pursuit of a greater future."
Travis Bradberry. Entrepreneur Staff and Online Contributor
, November 28,2016
If You Are a Distracted Worker, Try
the Self Control APP
Are you finding yourself distracted by your phone? This app helps people to reduce intemperate use of smart phones. For a specific period of time the execution of apps are banned in order to help focus a little more on the project at hand. Basic telephone functions, such as phone calls and SMS, are always executable.
Some of the key features are:
- When you execute Apps for a specified period of time, the phone screen will switch to studying time display automatically.
- After setting weekly and daily goals, graphs can be displayed.
- Specific Apps that you set can always be executable.
This app can be installed from the Google Play store and can be used on all
Mission of Sigma Nu Tau:
"To promote, recognize, honor, and reward academic excellence in entrepreneurship and to encourage and recognize the practice of principled entrepreneurship"
4 Types of Membership:
Sigma Nu Tau Chapters
#1 - SUNY Plattsburgh
#2 - Kent State University
#3 -Belmont University
#4 - California State University-San Bernardino
#5 - Clarkson University
#6 -High Point University
#7 - Claflin University
#8 -Suffolk University
#9 - Middle Tennessee State University
#10 - Baruch College
#11 - John F. Kennedy University
#12 - Rowan University
#13 - Illinois Institute of Technology
#14 - University of Baltimore
#15 - New York Institute of Technology
#16 - The George Washington University
#17 - Husson University
#18 - York College of Pennsylvania
#19 - University of Iowa
#20 - North Central College
#21 - The University of Scranton
#22 - Your school could be the next new chapter!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Buying Books or Other Things at Amazon?
Why Not Go Through Smile.Amazon.com to Benefit Sigma Nu Tau?
Planning to buy anything from Amazon? Please shop
and designate Sigma Nu Tau Entrepreneurship Honor Society as your target charity.
It won't cost you anymore
, and Amazon will donate 1/2% of your purchase to Sigma Nu Tau! Your kind act will help support our student programs!
Sign Up to receive our newsletter and mailings.
E-Fest for Students at University of St. Thomas - Deadline to apply is February 17, 2017!
Undergraduates from around the country will have the chance to compete for over $250,000 in grants and scholarships at a three-day celebration of undergraduate entrepre-neurship on April 6-8, 2017 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
E-Fest, sponsored by the Richard M. Schulze School of Entrepreneur-ship and by EIX.org, a non-profit online plat-form for entrepreneur-ship education, will celebrate 25 student teams who submit the best business ideas in a preliminary competition. It will feature work-shops, an Innovation Challenge and keynote speeches from Schulze himself. The 25 student teams will receive $2,000 travel stipends and hotel will be provided.
Student teams can enter seven-minute videos and 15 slides detailing their business ideas by February 17, 2017. Judges will select 25 finalist teams to partici-pate in e-Fest. The teams with the three best busi-ness ideas will receive $100,000, $50,000 and $25,000 in prizes, with an additional $10,000, $5,000 and $2,500 in grants going to their universities to support entrepreneurship educa-tion. The Innovation Challenge will award $20,000, $10,000 and $5,000 in scholarships to student teams who develop the best solution to a business problem unveiled that night.
"Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill
"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."
- Bill Gates
"Your smile is your logo, your personality is your business card, and how you leave others feeling after having an experience with you becomes your trademark."
- Zig Ziglar
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
"Everything started as nothing."
- Ben Weissenstein
"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines."
- Robert H. Schuller
"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach the full potential...
these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
"I'm convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure persever-ance."
- Steve Jobs
"Risk more than others think is safe. Dream more than others think is practical."
- Howard Schulz
Sigma Nu Tau announces that it will be accepting all major U.S. credit cards on November 15, 2016!
"Like us" on Facebook! It is chock full of great quotes about entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship as well as photos from our newest chapters! Why not add a photo or two from your chapter?
Follow us on Twitter and
learn more about entrepreneurship.
Visit Our Website
Our website offers easy-to-find honor society forms and introductory information pages. The website now has step-by-step instructions for petitioning to establish a collegiate chapter of Sigma Nu Tau Entrepreneurship Honor Society at your college or university.
Visit sigmanutau.org today
and see it for yourself!
To obtain materials to petition to start a chapter at your university & for more information about Sigma Nu Tau's mission, constitution, bylaws, or general information on the benefits of starting a chapter,
Coming Up in the Next Issue:
- Announcement of the first Sigma Nu Tau Scholarship Program
- Announcement of the 2nd Annual Sigma Nu Tau Video Pitch Competition