LAE is calling on all educators and friends of public education to sign the LAE "Kids Not Cuts" petition and to take the NEA "Kids Not Cuts" pledge - to promise to speak up for America's kids and working families, and to make sure Congress makes the right choices. By taking this pledge and signing the petition today, you will be signaling your commitment to hold your Members of Congress accountable for the decisions they will make in the coming weeks.
Congress is currently in intense debates that will have a direct impact on students, educators, and public education for decades to come. Cuts scheduled to go into effect on January 2, 2013 would slash billions from education. At the same time, costly Bush-era tax cuts are scheduled to expire. Some lawmakers continue to eye a larger debt deal that could cut Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security. And, there remains a need to focus on creating jobs, not taking actions that will eliminate jobs.
Budget cuts impact real people, and some cuts never heal. Corporations and CEOs have the deck stacked in their favor--someone needs to stand up for the children who have already been impacted by deep budget cuts. If Congress makes the wrong choices, the results could have catastrophic consequences for public education, children, seniors, and our nation as a whole. For education alone, services to over nine million students and nearly 80,000 education jobs are at stake.
No is the time to make our voices heard. Don't let them make the wrong choices!
Take Action Today:
- Sign the "Kids Not Cuts" petition today to U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu - to support and ask Senator Landrieu to stand with America's kids and working families, and to make sure Congress makes the rights choices.
- Take the "Kids Not Cuts" pledge today-- to speak up for America's kids and working families, and to make sure Congress makes the right choices.
- Visit your Members of Congress while they are back home. Take this opportunity to meet with your representatives face to face. Tell them to stop the cuts to education and to make sure the top two percent pay their fair share. Get talking points and other information to use in your visits from NEA's Education Votes website.
- See state by state data on what pending cuts would mean for students and educators where you live.
- Watch the video from NEA and Americans for Tax Fairness - "Kids Not CEOs" and sign up to learn more.