We r where u r: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter @DigitalLA, DigitalLA.net for networking! Jobs
|Hey, Digital LA peeps!|
Silicon Beach: Wave of Openings and events: Week in Review
Silicon Beach had a wave of accelerator openings and events packed into this week. Highlights:
- Amplify LA accelerator celebrated its grand opening with Mayor Villaraigosa atttending a morning ribbon-cutting ceremony with Amplify founders Paul Bricault, Oded Noy, and Jeff Solomon (photo right) on Wed. He said that the gross receipts tax will be on holiday extension another three years to help encourage startups in LA. At night, Amplify hosted opening party which invited top tech leaders and local artists and community leaders to enjoy DJ, dancing, retro candy, pinball machines all under its brand new mural.
- StartEngine held its Demo Day with its third class of 10 startups presenting polished presentations that packed the newly renovated Cross Campus to standing room only. Companies presenting:
- Enplug - social media-integrated screens at venues
- Contur - virtual assistant sorts your email, saves time
- Hoonto - social enterprise dashboards for organizations
- myRight - teaches legal rights and how to get a lawyer
- The Style Club - fashion social network w trends, etc.
- Motion Dispatch - automates digital content distribution
- Afterschool.me - parents guide to their kids activities
- FitKit - lifestyle and nutrition assessment tool.
- Overhead.fm - provides music licensed for in-store use
- Flinja - connects students seeking jobs with alumni
- The Hub LA held its opening party with tech startup leaders in the social good space in the downtown arts district on Thursday night, with photobooth, DJ, and people writing change-the-world inspirations on the floor-to-ceiling whiteboards. Hub Co-Founder Elizabeth Stewart welcomed excited guests and founding members.
- Digital LA - We Got Funded! panel. Speakers from PageWoo (StartEngine alum), At The Pool, Triptrotting (Launchpad alum), and Retention Science (MuckerLab alum) shared their presentations and stories of how they got funding at the newly opened ROC Santa Monica, a 45,000 sq ft office space in the former Google offices in Santa Monica. Startup CEO panelists were joined by a New World Ventures investor who just moved to LA to focus on increasing LA investments. Article. PICS.
Afterwards, we celebrated the emoticon's 30th birthday and Talk like a Pirate Day, both on Wed.
- Startups Uncensored hosted a panel with Jason Nazar and Search Engine Land editor-in-chief Danny Sullivan
- Call for Submissions: IAWTV Awards! Submit your web series for the 2nd Annual IAWTV Awards in Las Vegas on Jan 8. Submit by today Friday 9/21.
- Develop.LA launched this week as a user-generated community news posting and rating site for technology, entertainment, art and fashion news. Created by PageWoo to help the community keep informed on all the rapid news and announcemnents.
12 Weekend Ideas
- Space Shuttle Endeavor flew over San Francisco this morning, and flies over LA today, landing at LAX. Your wall and feed is bursting with Endeavor pics. Tweet pics with #SpotTheShuttle and @NASA may RT u!
- Movies: Dredd, End of Watch, Trouble w the Curve
- Digital LA - Huntington Beach Brunch Cocktails. Sat. We're meeting up at Duke's Huntington Beach upstairs bar Sat 1-2p (look for Kevin in the red shirt and shorts), then we'll check out the...
- Pro Beach Volleyball Series, Hunt. Beach, Fri-Sun
- Emmys Sun 5p ABC. #Emmys @PrimetimeEmmys
- PowerCon - He-Man and Thundercats conv, Sat-Sun
- Hollywood Bowl: Sound of Music sing-along, Sat
- The Greek: A.Hamilton w Estelle Fri; Bonnie Raitt, Sat
- Book of Mormon @ Pantages, from South Park guys
- Chocolate Salon - yummy tastings, Sun, Santa Monica
- Nocturnal Wonderland. DJ rave fest, Fri-Sat, San Bernardino. BYO furry boots and Burning Man costumes.
- I Heart Radio Vegas, Fri/Sat. Yahoo livestreamed
- Nintendo Wii U launch party LA - we got 10 Digital LA peeps on the list for this private event! Follow @DigitalLA for pics, news
- Knotts Scary Farm preview - follow @DigitalLA #KnottsScary sat nite
SOCIAL MEDIA WEEK LA
HOLLYWOOD GOES BIG WITH SMWLA
Hollywood gets even busier next week when thousands of social tech and digital lifestyle fans descend on Hollywood for Social Media Week Los Angeles, September 24th - 28th, 2012. That means you've only got four days to register for an incredible round up of events, featuring thought leaders and familiar faces like:
Can't figure out which events to attend? Check out our schedule at a glance. Start your morning with coffee and pastry in the Social Tech Hub at io/LA (7083 Hollywood Blvd.). And the Entertainment Hub (6712 Hollywood Blvd.) is just down the street at the historic Egyptian Theatre, within easy walking distance.
SEE THE COMPLETE SCHEDULE & REGISTER NOW
| ||Want to Meet Janelle Mon?e During SMWLA?|
Nokia and SMW have partnered to give 2000 Janelle Mon?e fans the chance to see her perform live, for FREE September 25th - get your ticket if you haven't yet.
However, one lucky person who registers TODAY (Thursday, Sept 20) by midnight PST will also have the chance to attend Janelle's soundcheck before the show and meet her in person. So what are you waiting for?
Go here - http://bit.ly/smwlajanelle - and tell Nokia and SMW which song you think belongs on the ultimate "Social Playlist", enter your information, and you're on the list! Keep up with the conversation on Twitter using #NokiaMusic, and tell us why you're excited about this opportunity.
| ||Help LA Win the Food Truck Challenge|
Social media savvy foodies in London, Chicago, Los Angeles and Vancouver will engage in an international city smackdown. Tweet about your favorite local food truck finds for a chance to win tasty prices. This contest, organized by Invoke Media and Food Network Canada's Eat St, will crown a winner in each participating city.
CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE DETAILS.
| ||Larry King Does it Live at the Egyptian|
Called "the most remarkable talk-show host ever" by TV Guide, Larry King is behind the mic again - this time online - as host of Larry King Now on Hulu and Ora.tv.
Join us for a live taping of Larry King Now from the historic Egyptian Theatre during Social Media Week Los Angeles with actor, comedian and rapper Nick Cannon.
This is one hit ticket! BE SURE TO RSVP.
Plus we are running 4 SMW LA panels: Digital LA - Celebs Go Social panel, 9/24 at @ Madame Tussauds Hollywood. Speakers who work with Paris Hilton, Charlie Sheen, Eva Longoria, Omar Epps, Jeremy Piven and more will discuss how they work with celebs to reach fans, promote projects, work with brands, and engage auds. Call for Speakers: If u are a celeb or help celebs with their social media, email email@example.com with CELEB as the subject. Register. Digital LA - Startups Go Social panel. 9/25 @ WeWorks. Successful social media startups that do and use social media, including PromoJam, Planana, TicketMob, and more, will share how they use social media to increase awareness, build buzz, and decrease their customer acquisition cost. Register. CALL FOR SPEAKERS: email firstname.lastname@example.org with STARTUP as the subject
Digital LA - Spas Go Social. 9/26 We'll discuss how spas, yoga studios, etc. use social media. Register.
Digital LA - Social TV panel.
Join our SMW LA panel with speakers from Emmys-winning Fourth Wall, Fremantle, Shazam, GetGlue, ConnecTV, PromoJam, and Trailer Park who worked on award-winning and cutting edge social TV campaigns will share success stories on what works to get viewers engaged with TV shows. Register.
We just posted jobs from Creative Impact Agency, Mirror Digital and Who What Wear on our job board. Get/ post a job!
OUR RECENT EVENTS
Digital LA - Olympics Go Digital. Our panel in London during the Olympics featured speakers including BBC Digital, the Mayor of London city marketing office, and 5 app / startups discussing how they did digital and social, helping make this year's Olympics the most digital / social ever. Article Highlight. We also teamed up with Silicon Drinkabout for fri drinks in London, and played volleyball with Squadify and In Shoreditch the day after the Closing Ceremonies. Plus check our OlymPICS.
Digital LA - Summer Pool Party. To celebrate summer, we enjoyed panoramic views, good company and live bands at our first Digital LA - Summer Pool Party at a Hollywood Hills mansion. Attendees from Warner Bros., Universal Music, Live Nation, Maker Studios, Amazon Studios, startup CEOs, digital ad agencies, etc. Check the fun pool pics.
Our Comic-Con Pics and Party
We had a blast at Comic-Con! Superheroes and more than 300 attendees assembled at our Comic-Con party on Saturday night at the Hotel Sola mar (where Syfy usually has its party). Check the fun pics
including special guests Thor, Storm, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Captain America cosplay and more. Thanks to sponsor ROC (Real Office Centers), which is opening up a 45,000 sq. ft office space for startups in early September in the former Google offices at 6th and Arizona in Santa Monica. Also we took pics
of the Comic-Con, show floor, pangel H celebs, and the digital including: Digital LA - Digital Comics panel.
Our panelists discussed 5 tips for Kickstarter camp aigns, VFX, indie comics writing and animation, and online pop culture communities. Read article.
LA in Forbes: Seen the Forbes article: Why LA is Emerging as the Next Silicon Valley? Go LA!
Silicon Beach Fest - Third Forbes article, Twitter winners, PicsSBF in Forbes:
We're psyched our Silicon Beach Fest gets a shout out in today's Forbes article
"12 Entrepreneurs That Are Changing LA Forever." Nine of the 12 participated in SBF: including all 5 speakers on our Meet the Accelerators panel Howard Marks (S...tartEngine), Amplify (David Carter), Adam Lilling (Launchpad LA), William Hsu (MuckerLab), Jeff Scheinrock (Originate); and Jason Calacanis, Paige Craig, Jason Nazar, and Digital LA founder Kevin Winston (we're honored)!
This is our third Forbes article, including Where is LA Tech Economy Headed? (A: To the Beach!), and Female Founders of Silicon Beach.
The first-ever Silicon Beach Fest attracted more than 2,000 attendees from LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, New York, Toronto, and London to celebrate LA startups and entertainment with panels, parties, pitch fests, hackathon, and beach games: volleyball, basketball and surfing lessons in Santa Monica and Venice on June 21-23. PRESS:
TechCrunch, Forbes, and other national and local media covered the fest. Links we've seen so far:
- TechCrunch: What LA Accelerators Want
- Forbes: Where is LA's Tech Economy Headed
- Female Founders to Watch: Silicon Beach
- TechZulu: Eric Garcetti Opening Keynote (VIDEO)
- Women 2.0: LA Holds first Silicon Beach Fest
- Examiner: Silicon Beach Fest Showcases Innovation
- Santa Monica Patch: Silicon Beach Fest (VIDEO)
- Pandodaily: "Silicon Beach Fest" Version 1.0
- Abbot Kinney Venice Blog: Digital & Creative Hubs
- Kindling's: L.A. Geeks Unite
- Hollywood Today: The Digital World of Silicon TechPICS:
So many fun pics! We'll create a Top SBF pics album from the following albums: Digital LA
, Cross Campus
, Opening Party
RECENT Digital LA PANEL HIGHLIGHTS
- Digital LA - Comedy Panel
- Digital LA - Mobile Apps and Ads
- Digital LA - Latino Social Media
- Digital LA - Digital Innovators @ BritWeek
- Digital LA - Restaurants Go Social
- Digital LA - Indie Music Panel
- Digital LA - Developer Debate: CMS & Frameworks
- Digital LA - 22 ways Movies and Music Go Social
- Digital LA - 12 Tips to Viral Videos
- Digital LA - Bands and Brands
Promote your company, product via a 590 x 90 banner ad here, or sponsor one of our upcoming events or create a custom one to reach more than 30,000 digital professionals based in LA. email email@example.com with SPONSOR as the subject.
|Digital LA - We Got Funded! panel + SBF After-Party|
SANTA MONICA - Keys to getting funding include: passion, a good idea and the story behind it, relationships and a revenue model, said panelists from four LA startups that each recently received $1M-$1.5M in funding from lead investors including Clearstone, Google Ventures, and more. CEO founders and co-founders from PageWoo, At The Pool, Triptrotting and Retention Science each presented their 5-min fund-winning pitches, then discussed tips to seeking funding on our panel at the newly opened ROC Santa Monica. Thanks to Startup Angel for livestreaming, and also to Here On Biz, NDMS, Photoboxi, and SPBH Animation.
Read the Article, PICS
7 Secrets to Getting Funded
1) Show your Passion. Passion is key for a startup CEO: must have passion to get the idea running, raise funding, assemble your team, and deal with difficult time. Most investors want to see that you're passionate and committed to make it happen before they invest.
2) Tell Your Story, Relate to Your Audience. When pitching your startup in your deck, a meeting, or cocktail networking event, tell your story of how you had the idea, why it's a good thing, and how you started to develop it. Investors and VCs relate to the story, and it helps draw listeners in. Also, relate your startup problem you're solving to your investors. Aigerim Shorman, Triptrotting CEO/Co-Founder, said "you have to draw the investors in by mentally and visually showing them the pain point that they can relate to. Start the presentation with helping them to relate to the problem that you are trying to solve and get them mentally or even verbally to say "oh yeah, that is true! I have had that problem or I have it now"
3) Know / Be Your Audience. Investors want assurance that you know the space that you're in. It helps if you're from the demographic or niche that would use your service.
4) Do Your Research. Know what types of companies investors/VCs are looking at, what else they have invested in recently, how much. Who are the lead partners, what are they interested in, what have they tweeted about. Alex Capecleatro, CEO of At The Pool, said that he thoroughly researches investors backgrounds and history via LinkedIn, Google, so he knows their interests and passion points.
5) Ask only for as much as you need, so you don't give away too much. Estimate your investment amount based on expenses for employees (programmers, biz dev, sales and marketing) and hard costs (office, hardware, servers, IT) over the first few years. Operate lean: "You're always bootstrapping," said one panelist.
6) Know the Tech Space. If you're just getting into tech, know the space. Know who the investors, accelerators, players are. Read TechCrunch, PandoDaily and other tech blogs. "If you want to do a startup and you don't know Techcrunch, then forget you," said Jason Crilly, CEO and Founder of PageWoo. Google the terms: convertible note, series A, B, C, deal structures, ownership percentages, etc.
7) Product first, fundraising second. Focus first on building a good lean product (web site, app, service, etc.), then start fundraising, going on meetings, and networking events. Product is first, so you have something good to show while fundraising. No one want to invest in vaporware.
LA is increasing in startup activity, and an exciting place to look for new startups to invest in, said Rishi Roongta of New World Ventures, who recently moved from Chicago to LA to invest in more LA companies beyond its initial investments in BeachMint, Dollar Shave Club, and other LA startups.
Thanks to ROC Santa Monica for hosting, and to Here On Biz, NDMS, Photboxi and SPBH Animation.
Follow: @RocSantaMonica @HereOnBiz @StartupPayments @Photoboxi @SPBHAnimation
Afterward, we celebrated with Digital Drinks, themed to double Sep 19 celebrations: Happy 30th Birthday Emoticon and Talk Like a Pirate Day, and Silicon Beach Fest after-party, since most of the speakers and sponsors participated in SBF.
Thanks to our Speakers (more to be added)
PageWoo lets u manage mobile advertising through automation, optimization, and machine learning. StartEngine alum. Jason helped organize the SBF Hackathon. @pagewoo
At The Pool
CEO, Founder. At The Pool lets you discover new interests, meet like-minded people, and connect offline via daily intro-emails and offline events. At the Pool recently confirmed a $1M investment round led by Clearstone. Alex was a judge on the SBF Student Pitch Fest. @at_the_pool
Triptrotting, Co-Founder, Co-CEO.
The Triptrotting community lets travelers meet like-minded locals one on one and through activities and events in over 2000 cities across 150 countries. Launchpad LA alum. Triptrotting recently closed $1.5M seed round from Google Ventures, 500 Startups, Idealab, WI Harper Group and women-focused Golden Seeds. Aigerim set up the SBF surfing lessons on Venice Beach. @triptrotting @shanazheng
Retention Science, CEO / Co-Founder
Retention Science leverages machine learning algorithms and statistical models to help online businesses maximize customer retention. Raised $1.3M from Baroda Ventures & Mohr Davidow Ventures. MuckerLab alum. @RetentionSci @jerryjao
New World Ventures has invested in several LA based companies and is looking to increase its investments in the LA area. Rishi recently moved from NMV's Chicago offices to explore LA companies. @NewWorldVC @RishRoo
|Digital LA - Huntington Beach Brunch Cocktails|
| Sat, Sept 22, 1-2p @ Duke's Huntington Beach
Join us for casual brunch cocktails and mimosas, and brunch if u want, at Duke's Huntington Beach.
We'll talk digital in the OC, and then after, we can explore the Jose Cuervo Pro Beach Volleyball Series final California tournament on the beach.
Look for Kevin in the red shirt at the Duke upstairs bar at 1-2p.
FREE, no RSVP, just show up!
|Digital LA - Celebs Go Social @ Madame Tussauds Hollywood|
| Mon, Sep 24, 4-6p @ Madame Tussauds Hollywood
Join our panel where we'll discuss how celebs use social media to promote their projects, create buzz, partner with brands, and drive fans to action, from buying tickets to supporting a cause. We'll discuss best ways for celebs to reach fans, which social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) works better for which kind of actions, and more.
Register: http://smwlaceleb.eventbrite.com/ Scheduled Speakers so far:
- Jamie Freed, Paris Hilton Entertainment, SVP and Artist Manager; Freed Management CEO. Represents Paris Hilton as her manager and head of operations for her company worldwide, including: endorsements, film, TV, music, digital, social media, personal appearances and brand. @JamieFreed
- Cat Schwartz, The Dgtl Ntwork and Dgtl Advisors Founder. Cat works closely with Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, Eva Longoria, Omar Epps, Diane Keaton, Jeremy Piven, Jesse McCartney, Chris Bosh and dozens of other well known celebrities on their social media. Cat was Creative Director of the CAA celeb social network, WhoSay. She currently helps clients, studios, TV Networks and producers on digital strategy. @Cat_Schwartz
- Melody Hernandez, Senior Digital Manger. Manages aspects of social media including new digital companies and Facebook fan pages for actresses including Dianna Agron (Glee, and her new web project You Me & Charlie), Naya Rivera; Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, and Felicity Huffman (What the Flicka).
- Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA, CEO / Founder. @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: If u are a celeb or help celebs with their social media, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your descriptions of your cutting-edge social media campaigns in the past year.
|Digital LA - Startups Go Social|
| Tue, Sep 25, 4-6p @ WeWork Hollywood
Join us for our panel with startups which focus on social media - and are savvy about using social media themselves. Speakers from LA-based startups PromoJam, Planana, TicketMob and more will share how their business incorporates social media, and how they use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media to reach fans, build buzz, engage audiences, sell tickets/products, decrease customer acquisition costs, and measure results. #SMWLAstartups
Scheduled Speakers so far (more to be added):
Co-Founder and Chief Marketing Officer.
PromoJam is a social media marketing technology platform for businesses to build, launch and track promotions that reach new customers via the popular social networks. @PromoJam @AmandaMalia
TicketMob Chief Marketing Officer
Use social media to build niche communities for comedy (LaughStub), EDM/nightlife (ElectroStub) and music (TuneStub) ticket verticals, totaling 1M fans/followers in six months. @TicketMob @LaughStub @TuneStub @ElectroStub
Fei Xiao, Planana
Planana rewards social media sharing of events with discounts or free tickets. Funded by Tech Coast Angels.
BuzzMob President/CEO, Founder
BuzzMob is a location-based app that connects users within the same physical vicinity to talk, share tips, photos, rich media and receive exclusive content. Partnered w USC Alumni Association and with AFI Film Festival as Official Social Media Partner on recent events. @BuzzMob @JeffreyJackel
Marni Borek, Vyclone,
Head of Marketing.
The Vyclone app lets you shoot video with your iPhone including friends' footage by synchronizing and editing everyone's socially shared clips to create one movie with all the angles cut together. @Vyclone @marni_
- Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA, @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
We'll be at WeWork, in the same building as the io/LA SMWLA hub.
This panel is part of Digital LA's several Social Media Week LA panels. Other panels include Celebs Go Social, Social TV, Spas Go Social, etc.
|Digital LA - Social TV|
| Fri, Sep 28, 10:45a-11:30p @ Egyptian Theater Hollywood
Join our SMW LA panel where innovators who worked on award-winning and cutting edge social TV campaigns will share success stories on what works to get viewers engaged with TV shows. We'll discuss campaigns integration TV with Twitter, Facebook, second-screen mobile apps, and more. And we'll highlight what works best with TV: live chats, celebrity tweets, supplementary video (backstage cam, additional video content), news and info, friends' interests, etc. FREE RSVP
on the Social Media Week LA site http://tinyurl.com/smwsocialtv
- Jay Bushman, Fourth Wall, writer on Emmy-winning Dirty Work, which just won the Creative Arts Emmy for original Interactive programming.
- Olivier Delfosse, Fremantle Media, VP, Interactive, Mobile & Digital Content. Olivier led the successful social media campaign for The X Factor Season 1, partnering with Twitter to implement the first of its kind Twitter voting on a talent based reality competition. X Factor Season 1 won three Social TV Summit awards, including Best of Show, Best Social Integration of Twitter, and Best TV Show Specific Award.
- Peter Szabo, Shazam, Director Of Sales. Shazam has expanded beyond music, to let users Shazam TV shows. Recent Shazam TV social campaigns include events like the Olympics, GRAMMYs, Billboard Music Awards, and Super Bowl as well as series including American Idol and TV commercials. Shazam recently won the Best Branded Social TV Award for its Red Bull Shazam App at the Social TV Summit Awards. @Shazam
- Sean Besser, GetGlue, EVP of Business Development, Partnerships and Strategy. Besser builds and manages GetGlue's roster of content and other strategic partners. GetGlue recently won the Best Check-in and Loyalty Social TV Award at the Social TV Summit Awards. @GetGlue @SeanBesser
- Ian Aaron, ConnecTV, CEO and Co-Founder. ConnecTV is a social network designed for TV and sports fans. ConnecTV recently won the Social TV Summit award for Best Ubiquitous Social TV for providing the most comprehensive social television experience across all channels and programs, and for both real-time and time-shifted viewing. @ConnecTV @ian_aaron
- Matt MacNaughton, PromoJam, CEO / Founder. Works with TV clients including NBC Universal, Comedy Central and Starz on social media campaigns to drive buzz and tune-in. Formerly at Interscope Records. @PromoJam @mattmacnaughton
- Nick Walsh, Trailer Park, Social Media Manager. Social campaign development, strategy and execution for all of AMC's shows; Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, across etc Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr. Manages live tweeting during shows, social contests and special initiatives (ie Comic-Con and 10 millions fan initiatives, etc)
- Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA, CEO/Founder. Kevin organizes 7-10 monthly tech / entertainment events, including the Silicon Beach Fest, the first conference celebrating LA's startup and entertainment communities. Previously, he did integrated marketing campaigns for film and TV at Sony Pictures Digital and Fox Interactive Media / MySpace. @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: We are looking for female speakers who are rocking social media for a TV show. Email email@example.com w TV as the subject and a description of your recent projects in the past year.
|Digital LA - Spas Go Social w Spaphile|
| Wed Sep 26, 2-4p @ Naam Yoga, Santa Monica
Join our panel where we'll discuss social media for spa, yoga centers, and health and wellness. We'll discuss how spas and related facilities build a social media following, use Facebook, Twitter and other social media. We'll discuss what works best to engage spa and health and wellness fans via social media: photos, tweets, healthy living tips, discounts, promotions, etc. This session will also include a free 30-min yoga session.
Scheduled speakers include:
- Juli Michallyszyn, Bliss Spa at the W Hotels, Marketing Manager
- 2-2:30p. Checkin and Networking
- 2:30-3:30p Panel and Q&A
- 3:30-4p Complimentary yoga session, BYO yoga mat
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with SPA as subject and your bio.
Thanks to our friends at Spaphile for finding speakers.
is an exclusive health and beauty community with members-only pricing, perks and events.
Become a member at www.Spaphile.com
|Digital LA - Producers Go Digital panel|
Producers who've worked on Disney ABC TV web shows, Emmys.com, the Oscars and X Factor digital experiences, and theme parks shared expert tips and stories on producing at our Producers Go Digital panel at io/LA in Hollywood. Good producers develop projects with passion, work with multiple partners to "just get it done" within budget, and market and promote with measurable successful results. Article.
|Digital LA - Sunset Strip House Party|
| | SUNSET STRIP - We enjoyed great views of the Sunset Strip bright lights and billboards at our Sunset Strip House Party teamup with our friends from At The Pool. We enjoyed cocktails, playing billiards at the red pool table, and a dip into the jacuzzi. Attendees included startup CEOs, digital filmmakers, actors, advertising sales, social media gurus and more. Thanks to house hosts, At The Pool, and also ONE Coconut and Pretzel Crisps. PICS.
|Digital LA - Manhattan Beach Cocktails|
| | MANHATTAN BEACH - We sipped cocktails and enjoyed sunset views at our Digital LA - Manhattan Beach Cocktails at the Strand House. Local attendees included: Filmmaker, latino advertising, branding specialist, international games development, web producer, personal QR code startup, and more. PICS. Look for our next South Bay event in Hermosa Beach soon!
|Digital LA - Politics Go Digital / Social panel|
HOLLYWOOD - Voters can use digital tools and social media to educate friends, call undecideds, organize events and increase voter turnout, said speakers at the Politics Go Digital panel at io/LA in Hollywood. Speakers included the former White House Chief Technology Officer, T4O, Obama for America's digital strategist, as well as actor Hill Harper (CSI:NY), and several startup CEOs/ founders in film, TV, music, games and education.
|Digital LA - Olympic Games Go Digital / Social panel (London)|
LONDON, Tech City/ Shoreditch - This year's London 2012 games is the most digital and social ever, from live BBC streaming of 24 simultaneous sports online and mobile, a cross-platform London city digital/social media campaigns, and innovate mobile and social apps, said speakers at our Digital LA - Games Go Digital panel at Google Campus in London during the Olympics. "This is the games that proves that social media matters," said one speaker. See Article and Facebook PICS.
|Digital LA - Hollywood Hills Mansion Summer Party|
HOLLYWOOD HILLS -
We enjoyed panoramic views, good company and live bands at our first Digital LA - Summer Pool Party at a Hollywood Hills mansion. Attendees from Warner Bros., Universal Music, Live Nation, Maker Studios, Amazon Studios, startup CEOs, digital ad agencies, web content creators, developers, marketing pros, social media gurus, friends from IVY Entertainment, and more enjoyed Sunday Funday. Check the PICS.
Thanks to Planet LA Records' two performing bands Julia Lucafo and Ocha La Rocha. Thanks EventSorbet for the ice luge. Thanks also Hubert's Lemonade, Pretzel Crisps, and Zevia soda for providing yummy snacks and beverages.
We also launched the Digital LA pool on aptly named AtthePool.com so Digital LA peeps can meet others in the group via daily introductory emails based on common interestss. Join the DigitalLA pool on http://atthepool.com/ invite code "digitalla"
|Digital LA - Game Marketing and PR|
BEVERLY HILLS - Speakers from EA, Square Enix, IGN, GameTrailers, Maker Studios, Miller PR, mOcean shared tips on video game marketing, from development to game launch day, to events at our pre-E3 Video Games Marketing & PR panel at Beverly Hills Porsche. Highlights: plan your marketing campaign early, reach core influencers with assets like trailers and stills. Broaden your reach to mainstream audiences via ads and smart PR. At our networking reception, attendees enjoyed playing games in the GameTruck, and complimentary Breezy Freeze snowballs, in the lot of Beverly Hills Porsche.Article. PICS.
|Digital LA - NewFronts: Monetizing Content @ UCLA|
WESTWOOD - Our expert speakers from Maker Studios, EQAL, ICM, Big Frame, Fishbowl, and more presented their NewFront YouTube channels and original shows, and discussed content monetization via advertising, product integration and sponsorship.
See the Article and PICS.
Watch TechZulu's recorded video
|Digital LA - Developer Debate 2: Architecture @ Amplify|
NICE - 'Plan enough, but don't plan too much,' and 'Beware of magic,' was takeaway advice at our second Developer Debate on architecture at Amplify accelerator in Venice. Key points: make your startup architecture scalable, lean, update constantly based on user behavior, communicate, and use track stats to optimize performance. Article and PICS.
|Digital LA - Comedy Panel @ Improv|
HOLLYWOOD - We giggled with speakers from Funny or Die, College Humor, Cracked.com, Break, comedian @funnymatt and the director of the Dollar Shave Club viral video, at our Comedy Panel at the world famous Hollywood Improv.
Tips to make your comedy video viral: make it really funny, topical, relatable, unexpected, silly, good honest humor, or wish-fulfillment. Article. PICS.
|Digital LA - Job Board|
|Welcome to the Digital LA Job Board! We launched with 10 jobs from leading companies. Post a job for $100 flat fee until the job is filled.|
Digital LA organizes events for professionals in online
entertainment, marketing, and advertising. Stop on by for
informal casual networking. Join the Digital
LA group at http://www.digitalla.net Attendees work at Sony Pictures, FOX
Interactive, MySpace, Google, Yahoo!, Disney, WB, NBC, EA,
Vivendi Games, Napster, and other entertainment, studios, ad
agencies, and tech companies.