RTA Celebrates Six Years of Success
The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) recently celebrated the sixth anniversary of the vote to approve our long-term transportation improvement plan and its funding. After six years of implementation, one thing is clear – the RTA is indeed delivering on its promises.
“We need to recognize how important the RTA’s role is to our community in addressing infrastructure needs, creating and sustaining jobs, and improving our quality of life. We have to remind our friends, neighbors, and community of the benefits we receive from investing in ourselves through the RTA,” said Satish Hiremath, RTA Board chairman.
Here is what the RTA has done to benefit the region to date:
- $654 million in RTA funding has been committed to projects in the Regional Transportation Plan.
- 467 individual projects or services have been completed and provided.
- Over 2,000 jobs have been created or preserved by those projects and service improvements.
- 8 major roadway improvement projects complete, with 7 more under construction.
- $400+ million invested from the private sector to date along the SunLink Tucson Modern Streetcar route.
Tracks for the Tucson's Sun Link Streetcar are being installed on Fourth Avenue, as the RTA and FTA-funded project moves ahead as scheduled. Riders can expect Made in America streetcar vehicles to start running in late 2013.
- 101 intersection improvements have been completed.
- 53 new bus pullouts have been completed.
- More than 110 Sun Tran new buses purchased, expanding service in Tucson, Oro Valley, Marana, and Sahuarita.
- 6 new park and ride lots allow drivers to conveniently access public transit.
- 58 new signalization and traffic technology projects have been completed.
- 34 pedestrian-bicycle crossings have been completed.
- Over 4,500 businesses have received free consulting services from the RTA MainStreet Business Assistance Program.