During the holiday season, there is a significant increase in waste as well as energy and water usage. According the US EPA, 25 percent more trash is generated between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day and the extra waste amounts to 25 million tons!
Please keep the following tips in mind this season:
- Turn off or unplug exterior holiday lights during the day.
- Think "green" while shopping by purchasing items with minimal packaging and made from recycled materials. Check product labels for recyclability.
- Bring reusable bags for holiday gift shopping.
- Wrap gifts in recycled or reused wrapping paper or newspaper.
- Consider non-material gifts and homemade goodies.
- If hosting a party, set the table with cloth napkins and reusable settings. Post party, fill your dishwasher to capacity and compost leftovers.
Also consider reducing overall greenhouse gas emissions by minimizing car use to save gas and reduce air pollution while shopping or attending holiday parties.
Try Travel Pal @ southbaytravelpal.com for travel alternatives such as using public transportation, carpooling, biking or walking. Shop local!