The dog days of summer are officially upon us! If you don't have your air conditioner constantly running already, you most likely will soon. With the AC running full time, you may notice an unwelcome change in your utility costs. Here are a few tips on how to keep those bills down while maintaining a comfortable temperature in your home.
- Use the windows - When the sun goes down and the temperature falls with it, turn off the AC and open your windows while sleeping.
- Watch your thermostat - Set your thermostat as high as comfortable when you're home, and raise it a few more degrees when you leave. If you have ceiling fans, turn them on when you're home in the rooms that your family is in. The air flow will allow you to increase your thermostat by about 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort.
- Filters - Clean or replace your filters once a month to ensure efficient operation.
- Minimize indoor heat - Try to use the dryer, dishwasher and stove/oven as little as possible during the hottest parts of the day.
- Schedule regular maintenance for your system - It's important to have your air conditioning system cleaned and checked by a professional at the beginning of every summer. If you haven't done that yet, give us a call!