Kicking off on the first official day of summer (Wednesday, June 20), Locanda del Lago in Santa Monica will host a new weekly outdoor grilling series, featuring spiedini ("skewers"), a classic warm-weather meal in Northern Italy and the hallmark ingredient of a grigliata mista, or "mixed grill." The Italian-style barbecue will take place every Wednesday from 12-7 p.m. on the restaurant's al fresco patio (located on the southeast corner of Arizona Ave and the 3rd Street Promenade) - occurring in conjunction with the beloved downtown Santa Monica Farmers' Market.
Each week, one of Locanda del Lago's skilled Italian chefs will grill a selection of all-natural meats and seafood, and farmers' market fruits and vegetables, to-order-all over sustainably sourced fuel, including chemical-free beech wood, corn cobs, herbs, and mesquite. The "Farmer's Market Summer Grill" menu-complete with housemade accompaniments-will also be available for dine-in and take-away, and will rotate regularly to include:
- Meats skewers such as Executive Chef Gianfranco Minuz's housemade sausages, chicken, pork, rabbit, or bison ($7 each)
- Seafood skewers including calamari, shrimp, or salmon ($8 each)
- Vegetable skewers with red onion, zucchini, eggplant, and tomato ($5 each)
- Housemade sauces including basil pesto, aurora, or arrabbiata for dipping
- Piadina (Italian-style flat bread) wrap (additional $2)
- Dessert skewers such as Pesca Melba, skewers of grilled white peaches, served with housemade vanilla gelato and strawberry sauce ($6 each)