To maximize the contribution of the transportation system to the social and economic vitality of the Genesee-Finger Lakes Region
Notice of Funding Opportunity:
Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and
Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Improvement Program
Clarification: Registration is only necessary if participating via the WebEx Webinar. Instructions to register for the webinar can be found in the table on the NYSDOT website. No need to register if attending in person.
GTC Member Agencies and other regional stakeholders:

GTC has good news to share with our partners seeking funding opportunities to advance bicycle, pedestrian, multi-use path and non-motorized transportation-related projects as well as programs and projects that reduce congestion and improve air quality. 

On Friday, May 18, New York State announced a Notice of Funding Opportunity for $100 million available under the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Improvement Program . These funds, made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and administered by NYSDOT, provide reimbursement of up to 80 percent of project-related costs with the remaining 20 percent provided by project sponsors.

Informational workshops for sponsors will be hosted around the State in Albany, Poughkeepsie, Syracuse and Rochester to provide information necessary to facilitate the development of successful applications/projects. Participation in one of the workshops is mandatory for all applicants.

NYSDOT will maintain a website for the TAP-CMAQ program with all of the resources including a Guidebook detailing all program information .   

If your agency is considering applying for TAP or CMAQ funding, please contact me if you want to discuss what assistance GTC staff can provide.

Jim Stack, Executive Director
Genesee Transportation Council
50 West Main Street, Suite 8112
Rochester, NY 14614

p: (585) 232-6240
Eligible Sponsors :
  • Local Governments (counties, towns, cities, and villages)
  • Regional Transportation Authorities
  • Transit Agencies
  • Local or Regional Governmental entity responsible for Transportation or Recreational Trails
Other interested entities such as school districts, private companies, freight railroads, non-governmental organizations will need to partner with or have an eligible sponsor submit the application and sponsor the project.
TAP Projects:

Transportation related projects that increase options for non-vehicular transportation including:
  • Safe Routes to School;
  • On-road and off-road facilities for pedestrians, bicyclists and non-motorized transportation users; and
  • Conversion and use of abandoned railroad corridors for trails for pedestrians, bicyclists and non-motorized transportation users.
CMAQ Projects:

Transportation projects which reduce vehicle emissions and/or traffic congestion in designated areas.

Eligible activities include:
  • Pedestrian and bicycle facility improvements;
  • Congestion reduction and traffic flow improvements;
  • Transit improvements, including limited operating support for new services; and
  • Development of alternative fuel infrastructure and clean vehicle deployment projects. 
To be eligible for CMAQ funding in our region, a project must be in one of the following counties: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne.
ABOUT    |    DOCUMENTS   |   RESOURCES    |   GET INVOLVED