June Morning Brew Recap: Disappearing Middle Class
The YP Morning Brew last month featured Grand Traverse County Administrator, Tom Menzel, and consultant David Mikowski. The duo spoke to the idea of a shrinking or non-existent middle-class in our community. Menzel wrote an article in the Ticker regarding the topic which sparked a lot of interest among the YP community. Menzel and Mikowski outlined many of economic indicators and development focus which alludes to an increasing risk of a "have and have-nots" community. In addition, they laid out a plan for increased job growth and wages through business development and industry relocation incentives as well as discussed the closing of Pugsley Correctional Facility and the need for a VA Hospital. The presentation was open to conversation, opinions, and concerns which made for a great dialogue between the high powered pair and the YP attendees.
Check out the
August YP Morning Brew:
Topic: Election Candidates Panel hosted by Kent Wood
Date: August 18, 2016
Time: 8 - 9 a.m.
August Morning Brew session sponsored by:
New BLOG Alert!
Be on the look-out for a NEW
monthly blog posting fro
m our fellow YP
government representatives to keep you informed of local city, township, county, and TCAPS updates! Get the scoop on what's happening and check out a wide range of other YP related topics on the Brief every month. YP Blogosphere specialist Adam Rhoades has touched on the local housing market, area events, and the ever-popular Restaurant Week. Stay tuned for June's "Fun after 5" blog. Click the blog button to check it out! CLICK IT!
Job Portal: A Popular Resource for Members & Job Seekers
The Chamber of Commerce has always strived for ways to help their members. One of these ways is by connecting them with top talent in the area. The Chamber's job portal is always jam packed with great and different opportunities. Whether you are seeking to fill a position, looking for a career change, or just looking for some additional seasonal work, the Chamber Job Portal should be your first stop! Check it out
MEET THE YPS:
- Office Manager
1. What is your favorite thing about your career? As an accountant I love numbers, puzzles and trying to make everything work! It is so rewarding when everything falls into place.
2. Where are you from? I was born and raised in Traverse City.
3. What would you sing at Karaoke night? Currently, I would have to say American Sweetheart by Elle King.
4. Favorite activity (indoor or outdoor) I love hiking and swimming! My favorite thing to do is go out to Sand Lakes Quiet Area and hike around and then swim in the lakes!
5. Any goals? (personal or professional) I have been working towards my Master's in Accountancy and would like to have that degree and my CPA license by the end of 2018.
- Catering Sales Manager
Great Wolf Lodge
1. What is your favorite thing about your career? Having the opportunity to work in some of the most unique places in the world, with co-workers from all over the world, helping guests create lifetime memories.
2. Where are you from? Grand Rapids, MI.
3. What would you sing at Karaoke night? Bob Seger - Turn The Page or Toby Keith - I Love This Bar.
4. Favorite activity (indoor or outdoor) Hiking, camping, fishing.
5. Any goals? (personal or professional) Continue to learn and progress in the industry. I would like to own a restaurant or B&B either in the Keys or the mountains.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
July 28- Pints & Politics (Right Brain Brewery); 4:30-6 p.m.
August 17- 2016 Chamber Golf Outing (Crystal Mountain);10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
August 18- YP Morning Brew (Chamber of Commerce); 8 -9 a.m.
August 19-YPs Volunteering at Friday Night Live (Front St.); 4 p.m. - TBD
YPS IN THE NEWS:
Received a promotion, new job, board election, or community achievement?
LET US KNOW! Please submit a 1-2 sentence description with a photo to Daniel.Baker@firstcb.com (Photo optional, but preferred). Don't be shy!