August 15, 2017: Year 7; Edition 16
NOVA Open 2017 CONVENTION DATES: August 31 - September 3
Games Workshop Preview Event:
What You Need to Know
y, 30 Aug 2017 from 7:30-10:30 pm
Hyatt Regency Crystal City on the 3rd Floor
1) RESERVE YOUR TICKET
- Only 48 Tickets Remain
- No Admittance without a NOVA Open Badge
- No Admittance without a Free Ticket
- Ticket Must Be Reserved
- Put it in Your Cart Today
2) ARRIVE EARLY
- Every effort will be made to open Registration between 5-6pm
- With 250 people checking into this event, your patience and understanding will be appreciated
NO PICTURES & NO VIDEO INSIDE THE HALL
- The venue, content and images from this Reveal are the exclusive property of NOVA Open
- Venue will be monitored. Anyone caught violating this rule will be asked to leave and could forfeit attendance at NOVA Open
Register Today for this Free Seminar at:
THIS TABLE OF CONTENTS WILL TAKE YOU DIRECTLY TO THE ARTICLES YOU'RE MOST INTERESTED IN READING:
CLICK A LINK!!
Final GT Rulings
Rules Tweaks and Legal Codexes
The Warhammer 40,000 Grand Tournament and Invitational are right around the corner, and the following are important informational tidbits for the well over 200 folks attending them!
- NOVA will use the Games Workshop-suggested limit of three (3) Detachments for the 40K GT at 2000 points
- Per Games Workshop's Chapter Approved preview and statements, NOVA Open will use a roll off for first turn with +1 to the roll if you finished deploying first
- Also per Games Workshop, units occupying the Flyer Battlefield Role do not count for controlling objectives
- Finally, per Games Workshop's Chapter Approved post, Objective Secured will be in play (see below)
- You may not use a Command Re-Roll to re-roll the dice for who goes first, seize the initiative, or determining the end of the game
- Per the Rules as Written, as a clarification and reminder, you must nominate your Warlord and select your free Relic (if using a Codex army) during army construction
On August 9, 2017, the
site introduced the Objective Secured rule and its planned use at NOVA Open. Since Chapter Approved is still forthcoming, Games Workshop clarified for us which Factions gain Objective Secured for the NOVA Open. To wit:
If your army is Battle-forged, all Troops units in <Faction> Detachments gain this ability, so long as their Faction is one of the following: Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Deathwatch, Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Ministorum, Asuryani, Drukhari, Harlequins, [Chaos] Daemons, Renegades and Heretics, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Necrons, T'au Empire, Orks, <Hive Fleet>, and Genestealer Cults.
Keep in mind a <Faction> Detachment is one in which all units in the Detachment share the <Faction> keyword. Thus, a detachment with Astra Miliarum and Adeptus Astartes in the same detachment would only share Imperium in common, and thus would not gain Objective Secured.
Troops units with Objective Secured that are within range of an objective marker (as specified in each mission's rules) control it even if there are more enemy models within range of it. If an enemy unit within range of an objective marker has a similar ability, then it is controlled by the player who has the most models within range as normal.
Note: Codex: Grey Knights, Codex: Chaos Space Marines, and Codex: Space Marines are explicitly not covered by Objective Secured because their Codexes provide a similar rule (i.e. Defenders of Humanity).
Finally, as confirmed earlier, Codexes: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and Grey Knights are all legal for the Warhammer 40,000 GT and Invitational at NOVA.
We've seen a massive spike in the # of registrations this year compared to the past couple years, and are as excited as we've ever been to host you at NOVA! Let us know via
if you have any remaining questions getting ready, and we'll see you at the end of August!
NOVA Open 2017 Instagram Photo Contest
NOVA Open 2017 - biggest, baddest ever! This is a shout out to all our
attendees, vendors, sponsors, and guests to help us memorialize this year in a new way - with our first Instagram Photo Contest.
Put your photography skills to the test, join the contest and take a shot at winning credit towards your 2018 NOVA Open adventures! We know you'll be taking lots of pictures while at the NOVA Open, so why not share them with the world by participating in the fun of this new contest. Starts Wednesday, August 30 - more below:
This category is based around the the heart of the NOVA Open - the games. Share photos of yourself and others gaming at NOVA Open 2017, amazing painted miniatures, the events you're participating in, etc.
For this category we want to see you/your friends being social at NOVA Open 2017. This may include hanging out in the NOCF Foundation Lounge, painting models with friends, catching a special interaction between players, etc. We love hearing about friendships old and new made through the NOVA Open, and this is your chance to share these with everyone.
(six (6) in total / three (3) places in each category)
- 1st Place: $75 NOVAOpenStore.com credit for 2018
- 2nd Place: $50 NOVAOpenStore.com credit for 2018
- "Most Likes": $50 NOVAOpenStore.com credit for 2018
RULES AND GUIDELINES:
- No profanity, no violence, no nudity, etc.
- The NOVA Open reserves the right to disqualify any entry.
- The 2017 NOVA Open Social Media Photo contest will begin Wednesday, August 30th, and end Monday, September 4th, 2017 at midnight.
- To be eligible to win, you MUST be following us on Instagram: @thenovaopen
- There will be one (1) winner for each of the six (6) prizes. No single entry. No person can win twice.
- Winners will be decided by an anonymous panel of NOVA Open judges selected by the CEO.
- Winners will be contacted directly, and announced publicly in the September 15th newsletter.
- Winners MUST have a NOVAOpenStore.com account in order to redeem their prize.
Our Newest Partner:
Best Coast Pairings
The NOVA Open is proud to partner with
Best Coast Pairings
(BCP) for many of its events for 2017. Noteworthy among these is the
Warhammer 40,000 Grand Tournament
. BCP is well known for its support to the ITC, and from its foundations supporting FLG's top tier events on the West Coast. We're happy to welcome them to NOVA Open, where their staff will be on site playing games, meeting folks, and running technical support in case we run into any snafus. BCP was highly supportive in developing its app to function with the NOVA Open's highly innovative 40K GT format for scoring, pairing, and enabling multiple paths to victory.
Visit them in the Foundation Lounge on Thursday night, 7-9pm: BCP Keg Night! Learn more about the company, staff, and plans for the future. BCP will donate a percentage of every subscription picked up during the NOVA Open to the Foundation - so, if you're thinking about signing up, do it at the convention in two weeks!
Getting Ready for the Convention
How to Pick Up Your Tickets
Many of you have asked us if you should expect to receive your Convention Access Pass (CAP) and/or event tickets via either email or US Mail before NOVA Open 2017 begins. The quick answer: "No, you will pick up everything at registration when you get to the NOVA Open."
Here's what you'll do:
- Arrive at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City
- Take the escalator down from the lobby
- Immediately in front of you will be the registration check-in desk
- When you get there, just give us your name: badge, tickets, swag, etc. will be waiting for you
Registration will be open:
- Wednesday at 5pm until at least 8pm
- Thursday, Friday & Saturday from 6am-8pm
- Sunday from 7am-1pm
DO NOT WAIT to check
in until just a few minutes before your tournament or event begins! No matter how much we prepare, it is possible there will be times when people have to wait in line. While our goal is to move you through any line in under 3-5 minutes, that's not something we can promise.
NOVA Open Runs on Staff Volunteers
Two Weekends of Work Left - Please Join Us
The past two Saturdays, many volunteers came to help pack 400 SWAG bags, 100 SuperNOVAS and 100 DwarfNOVAS. Everyone worked tirelessly packing bags and loading them on racks to transport to storage. We also had a crew removing felt to cut tables into more sideboards. We are so very thankful to all our volunteers!
We aren't done yet, though! The freight train christened "NOVA Open" is picking up speed and racing into the station! We still need your help to make this a successful convention.
Any volunteer who would like to join is welcome the walk through at Hyatt Regency on Saturday, 8/19 at 9am. This is a preview of our space at the Hyatt and a walking Q&A for leads and staff volunteers. Details & RSVP
Following the Hyatt walk thru (approximately 1pm), we need volunteers to help pack 250 prize bags at Telegraph Self Storage in Lorton. Without a large staff, this will be a daunting task. If you have the time, look for details and RSVP HERE.
AS ALWAYS, FREE FOOD & BEVERAGES
PROVIDED BY NOVA Open!
HYATT REGENCY -
2799 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA 22202
TELEGRAPH SELF STORAGE - 8935 Telegraph Road, Lorton, VA 22079
Here are some pictures to show what we've been up to.
Privateer Press at NOVA Open
Company of Iron Demos
We're pleased to announce that Privateer Press is sending JR Godwin and William "Oz" Schoonover to the NOVA Open this year. Oz is the lead developer of their brand new Company of Iron ruleset.
He and JR will be providing demos and answering questions throughout the weekend. Warmachine Hordes players will be excited to learn that these Privateer Press reps plan to preview the new game for all NOVA Open attendees. It should be great fun - even our leads are looking forward to the demos. It's always a thrill to get your hands on and heads into a game
ahead of everyone else. Company of Iron goes on sale in September.
Company of Iron is a small, squad-based skirmish game which utilizes many of the Warmachine rulesets, models and characters. While Warmachine focuses on large battles and clashes between armies, Company of Iron focuses its game play on small squads of units and solos that decide the micro scale for the conflicts of Immoren. There are no warcasters or warlocks in this version of the game, but your squad is given the ability to command warjacks and beasts - no matter what type of soldiers you choose to bring.
Whether you are a current WM/H player, or a curious attendee, make plans to stop by the hall during your time at NOVA Open this year.
NEW: X-Wing US National Championship
Check-In Information ~ Please Read
Check-in for each Heat (9/1 and 9/2/2017) of the X-Wing US National Championship Tournament will begin at 8:00am and end at 8:40am. You must be checked-in by 8:40am to claim your spot in the tournament. You will not be considered officially checked-in until the judges have your completed squad list in hand. If you have not completed check-in by 8:40am, your slot in the tournament may be offered to a player on the waitlist. Please make sure you check-in on time.
Important Waitlist Information ~ Please Read
At events the size of the X-Wing US National Championship, there tend to be a few players who don't show up to play. With that in mind, we will be filling any seats left vacant (by people who don't show up) with those on the waitlist.
If you are on a waitlist for the X-Wing National Championship Tournament at NOVA Open 2017, and might be interested in claiming the spot of a "no-show" on the morning of either Heat 1 or Heat 2, this is the information you will need:
- You must already have a novaopenstore.com account and be in possession of your Convention Access Pass (CAP).
- You must be inside the Regency Ballroom and near the X-wing judges' table by 8:30am on the day of the Heat that you are on the wait list for.
- Once event check-in ends at 8:40am, and a determination of no-shows is made, we will be calling the names on the wait list (in wait list order) to begin filling these vacated slots.
- If your name is called, you must respond immediately or the judges will move on to the next person on the waitlist.
- You must then pay for the event ($35) at the judges table and be prepared to start play immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: You still may only play in one, not both heats. Also, should any vacancies occur before August 29, our Registrar (Marti Seraphin) will attempt to fill them by reaching out to those on the wait list (in order) before the convention.
If you are currently on a waitlist, and know that you are no longer interested, please take a quick moment to let us know. This will give Marti the chance to remove you from the wait list, allowing others to move up and limiting the number of names being called in that short 20 minutes before play begins.
NEW: Star Wars Primers & Schedule Changes:
X-Wing & Armada Updates
X-wing US National Championship Tournament
The Start Time for Heats 1 and 2 is moving up:
from 10am to 9am
Armada US National Championship Tournament:
The Top 4 players from each Heat will advance to the Elimination Rounds on Saturday instead of the Top 2 from each Heat.
Armada Fuball Tournament:
Unfortunately, there are times when a mission just does not fit in an alternate tournament format. For that reason, we have decided to ban the Mission "Blockade Run" from the Armada Furball Tournament.
NEW: 40K Trios & Narrative Updates
Final updates have been posted for the 40K Trios and Narrative event primers! There are no changes to army composition rules or the missions for Trios or Narrative Dayfights and Nightfights.
Several small but important tweaks have been made to those rules following official
changes, as well as further experience with 8th edition. Recon Squads have now been fully and heavily updated for 8th edition. No squads have been invalidated, but a few more interesting build options have been enabled. There are also exciting new Specialist Traits and a number of tweaks. Apocalypse rules are largely the same as previously posted, with just minor updates regarding stratagems and psychic powers.
NOVA Open's 40K Narrative is nearly sold out ~ and the 40K Trios has only a few spaces left. Only two weeks left!
New Direction for Grex Airbrush Competition
From Tanks to Combat Cars!
NOVA's Minister of Terrain, Bob Likins, was able to get all 27 cars completed in just three building sessions of around 2 hours each. The kits were primed with Vallejo Light Grey Primer then individually bagged to protect the parts.
Only 20 attendees can play - four at a time, spread out into 5 time slots throughout the convention. Grex Airbrushes awarded as prizes! Whether you are a pro or just starting out, you'll have a great time.
On August 30th, the Chronicles Kickstarter will begin - meaning they will be in the middle of Day Two (2) of their very first Kickstarter!
Chronicles is a new fantasy, miniature, tabletop, strategy game and introduces the first of its kind Online Community Role Playing Game. The team has a boohth
located in the seminar room foyer on the 3rd floor. Stop by their booth to learn about
, meet the creators, and even pledge to the Kickstarter!
NOVA Open and NOCF:
On Community Podcasts & in Print
On August 11
, NOVA Open CEO Mike Brandt appeared on the
Masters of the Forge
podcast. During the podcast, Mike talked about the history of the NOVA Open, its events such as the 40k Narrative and 40k Mission events, and the work of NOCF. You can listen to the podcast
; Mike's interview runs from 22:50 to 56:27. We would like to thank with Adam "Loopy" Fasoldt and Jason Mitchell, John "Skip" Batch, and Snorre for featuring the work of the NOVA Open and NOCF.
On August 3
and John McAvoy joined Robert Allen and Kenny Lull of the
podcast to discuss the NOCF army and model
. Dave, who sits on the NOCF Board of Directors and serves as the NOCF Head Artist, talked about the charity auctions that NOCF is offering in 2017. John McAvoy, who works for
Wicked Gaming Studios
, also talked about his approaches to painting his Horus Heresy and 40K Death Guard army as well as the
Death Guard Sicarian Tank
available as a NOCF army raffle. You can listen to the podcast
; Dave's interview runs from 00:21 to 01:02 and John's interview runs from 01:02-01:21. We would like to thank Robert and Kenny for promoting NOCF work and its artists.
Games Workshop's own Warhammer Community Site posted a
on NOVA Open's Kidshammer event yesterday. We at the NOVA Open are especially proud of our family friendly atmosphere and our events that welcome young hobbyists. Kidshammer is a Warhammer Age Of Sigmar for 10 to 15 year olds that includes coaching, open gaming and a friendly tournament. There are even loan armies available so that any young wargamer can get in on the action.
Capital Palette News:
Bring Your Best Minis
Capital Palette, NOVA Open's Miniature Art Competition, is entering it's 5th year - and, like everything, NOVA Open, is growing bigger and better. Register now and your ticket will be waiting in your badge when you check-in, saving you time and helping NOVA Open keep lines to a minimum. Enter one of your best minis for just $5 - or as many as you like for $20.
The 2017 Capital Palette 3-judge panel is made up of artists well known by most in the hobby for their incredible work: Dave Taylor, Roman Lappat, and James Wappel. They will award gold, silver, and bronze accomplishment awards for six (6) divisional categories based on the criteria listed in the primer.
In this open forum competition, there can be multiple gold, silver, or bronze winners in a category (or no winners), and each exhibitor's work is individually evaluated. The panel will select one model in each category as Best in Category winner, and one of those finalists as the overall Best in Show winner. The Medaling Ceremony will be held at 2:30 on Sunday afternoon.
- Single Model, All Scales: Any single figure model, in any scale, in any theme. Single figures on a display base may include ancillary models (i.e. familiars, animals, etc.) necessary to the setting of a scene, including a mount.
- Bust, All Scales: Any bust, in any scale, in any theme. This can include 1:1 scale busts, and "partial figure" busts that include a torso.
- Vehicle, All Scales: Any vehicle, in any scale, in any theme. This can include walkers (i.e. Dreadnoughts, Warjacks, etc.), cars, planes, tanks, ships, trains, etc.
- Diorama: Any diorama, in any scale, in any theme. Diorama entries are designed to communicate a story to the viewer. Dioramas can involve multiple models, as with a duel, or no models, as with an old shed out in a field.
- Unit / Squad: Any number of models, in any scale, in any theme, displayed as a cohesive unit. Entries in this category must be submitted on a single base to reduce model handling, and to better indicate that they are part of a single submission.
- Sculpts: An original sculpture, in any scale, in any theme.
MORE AWARD CATEGORIES (require entry into Capital Palette)
- Fan Favorite: Attendees with a Day Pass, Convention Access Pass (CAP) or SuperNOVA Pass (SAP) are encouraged to cast their ballot for their favorite model. Vote at the Capital Palette booth on Sunday between 10am and 2:00pm.
- Every person who attends the NOVA Open will receive a Capital Palette ballot in their badges at registration. These ballots may be cast throughout the event and will determine the Fan Favorite award.
- Best in Show: One overall winner is selected by the judges from among the Best of Category winners.
- Best Weathering Award: Selected from among all models, in all categories, submitted in Capital Palette; sponsored by Secret Weapon Miniatures founder Justin McCoy. One model, from any category, will be selected based exclusively on the quality of the weathering, at the sole discretion of the award sponsor.
- Massive Voodoo Award: This award is selected from among all models, in all categories, submitted in Capital Palette; sponsored by Roman Lappat of Massive Voodoo. One model, from any category, will be selected based on creative expression, at the sole discretion of the award sponsor.
- Best Lighting Awards: These awards are sponsored by Powered Play, and will be presented to (1) Individual Capital Palette entry that demonstrates the best and most well executed use of lights on an entry submitted by Saturday night; and (2) Whole Army (including display board) entered Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Capital Palette winner p
rizes include a GREX Airbrush and
beautiful crystal obelisk. The Best in Show winner qualifies for entry in CoolMiniOrNot Crystal Brush. They may choose between
$100 in CoolMiniOrNot (CMON) store merchandise credit (
credit does not include shipping costs and must be used within on
year from date of Capital Palette win) or re
imbursement by C
for round-trip coach airfare from entrant's location to Chicago, Illinois, for the dates of the
Cutoff Dates for Forge World:
The NOVA Open is very excited to have
for the first time ever.
However, first time ventures are frequently subject to a few growing pains.
The NOVA Open was originally given an August 15th cut-off date for Forge World pre-orders. The Forge World team has confirmed that with NOVA Open organizers. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication between Forge World's convention team and its website logistics team, who understood the cutoff for these orders to be July 30th. Sadly, Forge World has informed the NOVA Open that it is now too late to make the change at this time because they cannot ensure product availability for pre-orders any longer.
Forge World and the NOVA Open are both very sorry that this situation occurred, and we extend our sincerest apologies to our attendees.
The good news, of course, is the Forge World will be onsite at the NOVA Open 2017 and will have ample supplies. We at NOVA Open greatly appreciate any understanding which you can extend our way as well as your patience until the convention.
NEW: Two Games Workshop Seminars Added
AoS GH2 & Shadespire, the Game
Late breaking news! Are you a fan of Age of Sigmar or
Games Workshop in general?! Get them while you can - two late seminar adds, and our last add for NOVA Open 2017. Both on Saturday, Sept. 5th, first learn all about the General's Handbook Two, with instructors including head of the GW design studio Pete Foley. Plus, hear some sneak peaks perhaps into the future of the Age of Sigmar. Then, check out all there is to know and learn about Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire with Andy Smillie and Shadespire head designer David Sanders. Course descriptions below, tickets available at novaopenstore.com.
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: General's Handbook 2 and Beyond
- In 2016, the first General's handbook revolutionized gaming in the Mortal Realms. With the 2nd annual installment now available, join the Warhammer Community and Games Workshop Studio Teams to talk about what the new book means for your games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar. And the implications for the top tables of competitively matched play tournaments. They might even give you some hints about what else is on the immediate horizon for Warhammer Age of Sigmar ...
Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Hear first hand from the Games Workshop studio team behind Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire. In this sem
inar, Pete Foley - head of the Warhammer Studio - and Dave Sanders - Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire's lead designer - will talk about their vision for this original new game and answer your questions.
Food Trucks at NOVA Open 2017
Favs Return; Spaces for New Trucks Remain!
Check out our returning trucks below. Spaces remain for more trucks. Share our email with your favorites in the DC Metro Area:
Ada's Kitchen - Ada's Kitchen On Wheels is a mobile soul food truck based in Washington, DC, serving hearty fried chicken, Jambalaya, fried fish, and classic pulled pork and coleslaw sandwiches filled with the best down south inspired ingredients, traditional homemade sides and signature lemonade iced tea drinks. Our home-styled menu offers something for everyone!
DC Slices - DC Slices is a mobile pizza kitchen bringing great pizza to Washingtonians, tourists, and anyone that loves a fresh, hot slice. We use fresh rolled dough, homemade sauce, hand grated cheeses, flavorful toppings: our pizza is baked right inside the truck and served to you as it comes out of the oven.
Halal Kitchen - We are not your ordinary HALAL truck. Our food is made fresh daily with devotion and passion. Our best seller is our MEAT LOVERS Combo Platter with special white sauce and a little hot sauce. Stop by our truck and enjoy lunch the right way!
Healthy Fool - Healthy Fool is all about eating good healthy food..we can't change the world .. however we can help each individual to start eating Healthy.
New Gourmet Delight - Gourmet Delight delivers the freshest Paninis, Sandwiches and Tacos directly to our customers daily from our food truck. We use the freshest ingredients and our food are prepared on the spot for you to enjoy.
Pittsburgh Ricks - This acclaimed eatery set up shop in 2014, and when they first introduced the local foodies to their selection of authentic Pittsburgh-style sandwiches (loaded up with french fries, crisp apple cider slaw, and fresh sliced tomatoes), it became clear that these mouthwatering meals should definitely be made mobile.
Pure Pasty serves organic, cornish pasties in Arlington, VA. They opened a store at 128C Church Street NW, Vienna, VA and only seem to bring out the cart for festivals and events.
Smoke N the City - Smoke N the City serve up "Southern Cuisine Barbecue," with fresh cut ribs, lam and turkey. They marinate their meats with special spices and smoke it for several hours to get the sassy succulent flavors making them famouns.
- The Frenchman Food Truck looks to blend French techniques and flavors with the southern charm of Virginia. The Frenchman tirelessly looks to partner with local businesses and vendors to highlight the special importance of supporting and shopping local. The Frenchman was created and is based out of Manassas, Virginia and can be found frequently at local Virginia breweries and wineries.
NOCF 2017 Summer Army Raffles
Gamers Supporting Great Charities
Help Make it the Best Fundraiser Yet!
NOVA Open Tabletop Olympics:
Show Your Team Spirit
The Tabletop Olympics is a NOVA Open program which provides attendees with an opportunity to join forces with their local buddies and convention-traveling companions to compete for honor and fame. Together, teams can accumulate achievements while individual players can amass points. Either way, achievements accumulate at each NOVA Open and over successive conventions to keep the competition alive and well.
As long as you are registered, you can join a named team at no charge. NOVA Open's convention system will automatically calculate and accrue your individual and team points, plus add bonuses for certain accomplishments like winning tournaments. Everything you do at a NOVA Open earns you points: seminars, hobby events, organized casual or narrative play, and tournament play. Most points are based on participation and time (e.g., a 2-day event will generally award a proportionally larger number of points than a 1-day event). The names of the highest achievers each year are inscribed upon NOVA's Tabletop Olympics Golden Cup to immortalize their achievements for all time.
The Tabletop Olympics also provides the first in a planned future of opportunities for team players whether they share interests or not. Every team member can connect their accomplishments and competitions across different event genres and types. Friends and club mates join together as a team, earning points and accolades for their experiences at the NOVA Open as a whole, connecting and normalizing earnings and experiences - regardless of event type or game system.
If you have any questions about the program, please email
. We look forward to seeing everyone's team spirit at NOVA Open 2017!
NOVA Open Vendor Hall
New & Returning Vendors - AWESOME!
Many of the best companies in the miniature industry will be at NOVA Open 2017 giving you a chance to purchase their products, peruse new releases and meet representatives from some of your favorite hobby manufacturers and suppliers. Some will also be offering pre-sales for pick up at NOVA Open; watch for details on July 1 in our next newsletter. In the meantime, get ready to shop:
Vendor Hall Hours are generally: 9:00AM to 10:00PM (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and 9:00AM to 7:00PM (Sunday)
Hobby, Display, and Lecture Seminars
NOVA Open 2017 Has Them All
As long-time NOVA Open attendees know, we host an extensive range of seminars with award-winning instructors who will help take your hobby skills to the next level. Whether you're a new hobbyist wanting to improve your painting or a veteran wanting to create MDF terrain or add lighting to your models, we have a full line-up of seminars to choose from.
- Roman Lappat is teaching a daily introduction to display painting seminar, color theory, blending, painting a bust in atmosphere, building a display base, and painting OSL.
- James Wappel is teaching the shaded basecoat technique, painting with Reaper Miniatures clear paints, building a solid base, and painting historical vehicles.
- CK Studios is teaching a full range of airbrushing classes to include a basic class on getting started, finishing techniques, large models provided by Warlord Games), painting black/white, blending, and painting non-metallic metals.
- Shapeways is providing a discussion on design requirements and printing options for miniature wargaming.
- Steamforged Games is starting with a free seminar on the company's future and offering a seminar on painting a model in two hours.
- Matt DiPietro is teaching painting artistic flesh tones, sketch style painting for gaming, and two-brush blending.
- Stiff Neck Studios is teaching speed painting where students will learn this technique to provide high standard paint jobs for their miniatures.
- LightCraft Miniature Studios is teaching intro to painting Fantasy Flight Games X-Wing Miniatures and advanced oil wash techniques for X-Wing Miniatures.
- Dan Cotrupe is teaching advanced MDF scenery, filling a table, and painting on wood.
- Joe Kopena is teaching an intro to 3D modeling and printing for miniature wargaming.
- PoweredPlay Gaming is teaching introduction to lighting, advanced lighting techniques, artistic implementation of lighting, lighting a model or display board, and the basics of DC circuitry theory.
- Sam Jeffery and Daniel Entwisle are discussing Lord of the Rings tactics and list building.
Many seminars have sold out, make sure you get on the wait list in case spots open up this summer. You can see more information on the seminars at http://www.novaopen.com/seminars/.
Introducing NOVA Open Hobby Haven
Brought to You by The Army Painter
For years, hobbyist and painters have gathered in various places throughout the NOVA Open to paint their models, socialize with fellow hobbyists, and exchange techniques. In 2017, the NOVA Open will introduce Hobby Haven, a large, general-use painting area with painting supplies, on the second floor of the Hyatt Regency. The area is intended to form a central, social hub, which provides opportunity for casual interaction and impromptu teaching of painting and artistic techniques.
The NOVA Open is proud to announce that Hobby Haven is being brought to life through the sponsorship of THE ARMY PAINTER! The Army Painter will be supplying Hobby Haven with all the art supplies we could have imagined - primers, paints, brushes, tools, basing materials and more.
Volunteer: You, Your Family & Friends!
Watch for an Email This Week
We'll be sending our staff schedule to volunteers for sign up in the next couple of weeks. Look for it if you're on the list; let us know if you'd like to be added.
The NOVA Open is a full 4-day convention with a move-in day on Wednesday, August 30th, and a move-out day on Monday, September 4th. Strongman support staff is needed for move-in and move-out: seriously, the NOVA Open moves out of seven storage units in two massive trucks into 68,000 square feet of convention space; every bit of help given allows NOVA Open to grow as the greatest East Coast TTWG event in the US!
Non-player staff (aka significant others, parents, family, children) needed to cover three daily shifts at registration, store, raffle desks, gate receipts, SuperNOVA desk, halls, Hobby Haven, seminar rooms and more. Anyone willing to join the Photography stable is also a hot sought-after commodity!
Make Friends for Life: We'll keep you busy while you're having the Best Time of Your Life (feel free to insert music/lyrics into your head here)!
THE NOCF NEEDS ANGELS:
Can You be a $500 Sponsor?
The NOCF could not have predicted the Foundation Lounge would become so integral to the NOVA Open Convention experience. Help underwrite the costs of stocking the bar, providing food and renting space for this event by becoming a $500 donor. Enjoy the thanks and tax deductible nature of helping out!
Hyatt, Renaissance, Residence Inn, Hilton
1. HYATT REGENCY CRYSTAL CITY @ REAGAN AIRPORT
2. RENAISSANCE ARLINGTON VIEW
3. RESIDENCE IN ARLINGTON VIEW
Social Media Links:
Stay up to date with all the most recent news from the NOVA Open by following us on social media and subscribing to our newsletter! We update frequently on not only important NOVA Open information, but from our sponsors/vendors and the gaming community as well.