Dear Harbor View Families,
The Spirit Run is a community and road race event for adults and children which promotes community and fitness and will share its proceeds with HV (and other schools, teams, and clubs).
Spirit Run hosts adult races (15k, 10k, 5k, and 1 mile (elite, open, and dog)), youth races (Youth 5k, ¼ to 1 mile, and a Toddler Trot), and family events (5k Family Walk and Family Mile) - all wrapping around Newport Center Drive. In between races runners and spectators enjoy a Youth & Fitness Expo (between Newport Center Dr. & Anacapa) featuring a pancake breakfast by Plum’s Cafe, live music by NMUSD students, bungee trampoline, rock climbing, and other youth activities, massage and shopping for adults, health and fitness information, a new Dog Expo, and more.
Each child’s Spirit Run participation will be celebrated! Each will receive a finisher’s medal at the Finish Line and will be recognized at an HV Flag Deck. Competitive runners may also win winners’ medals and prizes - often including a challenge brought by Dr. Schmidt!
here are several ways for HV families and friends to participate:
- Register to run or walk an adult or youth race (whether your child will be on HV's Track Team or not!) (Click here to register);
- Donate towards scholarships for entry fees and bus transportation to Spirit Run for underprivileged NMUSD students; and/or
- Sponsor the Spirit Run as a Family Sponsor (in return receiving gift cards, free entries, name recognition, and tax and other benefits.....click here for the Family Sponsorship Form) or Corporate Sponsor (Click here for Corporate Sponsorship or here for Dog Mile Sponsorship benefits - and then contact Diane Daruty, Race Director, at email@example.com or (949) 322-7949 with your interest.)
Spirit Run will be an exciting morning for our families, school, and the whole Newport-Mesa Community to enjoy together. Run, walk, or just come to cheer on your children and neighbors; watch NMUSD cheerleaders perform and students sing the National Anthem before each race; enjoy breakfast, rock climbing and other youth activities, and live music in the expo; and more.
Let’s show our school and community pride by participating in and supporting the Spirit Run - not only for ourselves, but for the whole School District and entire community!
Please mark your calendars for
Sunday, March 18, 2018
for a morning of fitness to enjoy with all.
* Spirit Run is presented by Newport-Mesa Spirit Run, Inc. (NMSRI), a California nonprofit 501(c)(3) public benfit corporation.
* Spirit Run's net proceeds benefit youth education and fitness.
* From 1983-2010, Spirit Run was presented by five Newport Beach elementary schools (including HV). In 2010, Newport-Mesa Spirit Run, Inc. (NMSRI) was founded to continue Spirit Run and to share its net proceeds with schools throughout the Newport-Mesa Unified School District (NMUSD).
* In 2017, NMSRI introduced "Dash for Cash" for schools outside NMUSD. "Dash for Cash" schools earn a minimum of 25%, and as much as 45%, of registration fees paid by its supporters.
* NMSRI is operated by volunteers dedicated to promoting childhood fitness and education.
* NMSRI's mission is (1) to present a community event promoting childhood fitness; (2) to provide free training, event entries, and bus transportation to local students who are unable to pay; and (3) to provide an opportunity to receive a share of net proceeds to local public schools, teams, and clubs demonstrating commitment to our mission.