Dear Keller High School Families,
Welcome back to what will prove to be an exciting 2016-17 school year at Keller High School! The staff is eager to have students back in our classrooms and hallways filled with energy and enthusiasm for learning. It is our mission to prepare our students to meet their personal goals through high academic and social expectations while focusing on meaningful collaboration and relationships. Keller High School is destined for amazing things in 2016-17.
This summer has been eventful with the renovations and additions to Keller High School. The projects to this 30-year-old campus include improvements to existing restroom facilities, renovating the front entrance
to provide a secure entry for campus visitors, renovating and updating existing science labs, providing improvements to parking lots and circulation, classroom additions, and band hall and orchestra hall additions.
While there will still be continued work to the building in the fall of 2016, you can expect to see the following when your student arrives on campus on August 23rd, including:
- Construction activity related to the front entry
- Secure entry to the front of the school will be ready for traffic
- Entry to the Fine Arts Center will be fully functional
- Entry to the Gym will be fully functional
- Visitor lot will be improved for parking and Student Drop Off/Pick Up (see Keller HS Drop Off/Pick Up).
- Interior Structure
- All classrooms will be operable
- Cafeteria will be operable for students to eat lunch
- There will be continued tile work in this area throughout the fall semester
- Restroom renovations will be complete
- Elevator will be operable with a new elevator scheduled to be installed in the fall semester
- Sacred KHS memorabilia will be integrated into the new design of KHS. Those memorabilia include:
- Project Graduation engraved bricks
- KHS crest on front entry tile
- Senior class donated sign at front entry
- Eagle Scout bench project
- Chad Powell memorial
- Portions of the overflow lot (north of Johnson Rd.) will continue to be utilized for the storage of materials
- Reserved student and general parking has been established for the 2016-17 school year. Please visit the KHS website for details on obtaining a student parking permit.
Beginning in the fall of 2016, daily visitors will park in the visitor parking lot on the south side of Keller High School and utilize the main entrance (see Keller HS Drop Off/Pick Up). Parents will continue to use a loop on the south side of the building to drop off/pick up students at the main entrance, with cones and personnel directing traffic. There is an opportunity for drop off/pick up in the staff parking lot on the north side of the building. Please use caution during morning drop off and afternoon pick up drop as there is a lot of foot traffic through the each of the parking lots.
I know that we are all eager to get into the building, but there are very important steps that will occur in the coming weeks. Specifically, city inspectors and Fire Marshall must sign off on the building prior to occupancy. The transition into the building will go as follows:
1. August 11th - Administration, Counseling and Office Professionals will return to campus
2. August 15th - Teachers will return to campus
3. August 20th - Students and Parents will have an opportunity to 'Walk the Building' from 9am-12pm
4. August 23rd - First Day of School
5. September 16th - Save the Date for the Keller High School Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at 5pm.
As a reminder, for the remainder of the summer, Campus Administration, Counselors, and Front Office Personnel will be housed at the Keller Learning Center
Daily visitors can continue to reach campus personnel by visiting us at the Keller Learning Center, by email, or by phone at 817-744-1400.
Student, staff, and parent safety is our top priority as we work to complete these renovations. We urge you to regularly remind your student to stay away from the construction areas. We want to ensure these projects are completed without incident, and the cooperation of our Keller High School community will help us accomplish these improvements in a timely manner, ultimately resulting in an updated building that we will all be proud of for years to come.
I would like to close by saying that what's going on around us is symbolic of what's going on within us. We are committed to refining our craft by holding on to sacred instructional strategies and practices while being innovative and exciting in our approach to teaching and learning. Thank you for the opportunity to work your children. I am truly honored.
Dr. Michael Nasra