October 21, 2016
Come on out tomorrow and show your favorite farmers and food makers some pocketbook love. Last week was tough on vendors overall, with weather elements to battle and many of their markets that provide income closing last weekend on account of weather. That means they need you to come out and reload your crisper drawers, fruit bowls and pantry shelves with delicious and tasty products from their stalls.
roasting up fresh chestnuts at his stall in the back row. Be sure to get yourself a bag, they are really something special and only here for a short time.
A true fall treat, Bill from
Nature's Wild Harvest
While your out supporting your tried and true farmers and foragers, make sure to stop at
Buns on the Run for a last brat, it's their final
week until the spring. Also joining ready to eat options this week is
Peruvian food with fresh cebiches, stuffed peppers and flavorful soups.
We also have
Atlas Cider back at market tomorrow, so if you missed them the first time make sure to stroll down the center aisle and take a tasting with Joe.
Thomas & Sons Distillery, La Fountain Herbal, and
Gabriel's Bakery are also in attendance tomorrow.
HFM's Preserves Contest Winners!
Thanks to everyone who entered delicious preserves in Hollywood Farmers Market's first annual Preserves Contest! Our expert judges tasted all the entries, and after much deliberation, selected three winners:
- In the Professional Preserves category, Margo and Gus of Naked Acres Farm, for their Green Tomato Relish;
- In the Sweet Category, Amy Schroth, for her spiced Apple Butter;
- And Best in Show,
Molly Raney, for her Fig Onion Vanilla Jam!
See below for Molly's winning recipe.
All three winners will receive a gift card to Kitchen Kaboodle, which they can pick up at the information booth this Saturday. Entrants who submitted a second jar of their preserve can pick up the unopened second jar at the information anytime during the market this Saturday.
Special thanks to our judges,
, author of
The Householder's Guide to the Universe
Lannie Thompson Kali
of Moreland Farmers Market and Cedar Mill Farmers Market - both of them master preservers!
Halloween Parade - Saturday October 29th!
Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 29th, for our annual Hallowen Family and Pet Parade! It's a chance to bring your costumed family or four-legged friend and show your stuff. The parade will begin at 11am.
Fig Onion Vanilla Jam
by Molly Raney
1 1/2 lbs figs, chopped into quarters
1/2 lb sweet onion (about 1 small), diced
1 C honey
1/4 C aged balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice concentrate
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
Makes approximately 3 1/2 pints
1. Add all ingredients except vanilla powder into a large non-reactive pot on medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium-low heat, maintaining a simmer. Stir every so often to ensure jam is not burning on the bottom of the pan. Cook down until you can run a spoon across the bottom of the pan and leave a trail (this will likely take over an hour, depending on the size of your burner and pot).
2. Once cooked down sufficiently, use an immersion blender to puree the jam. Alternatively, transfer the jam to a blender to puree. For a chunkier jam, skip this step.
3. Add vanilla powder. Taste jam and make any adjustments to seasoning.
4. Funnel jam into sterilized jars, leaving 1 inch of headspace. Use a clean chopstick or bubble remover to eradicate any air bubbles. Seal jars and place in water bath for 15 minutes.
5. Remove jars from water bath and let come to a cool on countertop. Once cooled, remove the bands and check seals by lifting jars up from counter by lid. If a jar has not properly sealed, store it in the fridge.
Entertainment & Events
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
Hollyween Family and Pet Parade
Saturday, October 29th
- Atlas Cider
- Big B Farm
- Buns on the Run
- Columbia River Fish Company
- Dancing Light Ranch
- Deck Family Farm
- Deep Roots Farm
- Fleur de Lis Bakery
- Fraga Farmstead Cheese
- Gales Meadow Farm
- Happy Harvest Farm
- Herr's Family Farm
- Hot Mama Salsa
- Ken & June's Hazelnuts
- Kichana Peruvian Food
- Kimberly Farm
- Kiyokawa Family Orchards
- La Fountain Herbal
- Laurel Ridge Winery
- Linda Brand Crab
- Mocha Roma's Coffee
- Montiel's Cocina
- Mt. Hood Organic Farms
- Naked Acres Farm
- Nature's Best Oregon Honey
- Nature's Wild Harvest
- Nossa Familia Coffee
- Olympia Provisions
- Peak Forest Fruit
- Persephone Farm
- Pine Mountain Ranch
- Portland Juice Company
- ProFarm Produce
- Regular Portland Bread
- Sacred Summit Herbal Elixirs & Chocolates
- Sage & Sea Farms
- Scratch Meats
- Stoneboat Farm
- Sun Gold Farm
- Sweet Briar Farms
- SweetHeart Bake Shop
- Sweet Leaf Farm
- Tabor Bread
- The Hummus Stop
- Thomas & Sons Distillery
- Umi Organic
- Winter Green Farm
Lloyd Farmers Market
Looking for a market to pick up some midweek groceries?
APR-SEP: Every Saturday, 8AM - 1PM
OCT - NOV: Every Saturday, 9AM - 1PM
DEC-MAR: 1st & 3rd Saturdays, 9AM - 1PM
NE Hancock Street between 44th and 45th Avenues (one block South of Sandy Blvd). In the Grocery Outlet parking lot.
For more information call (503) 709-7403,
See you Saturday at the market!