Thomas Vose, Director of Ruth Enlow Library
Join us as we welcome Thomas Vose to the libraries of Western Maryland. Find out more about
Thomas Vose here
South Cumberland, Coming Soon!
Allegany County's South Cumberland branch is nearing the end of its renovation and staff are working hard on the final stages. Director John Taube reports that they are moving collections back in to the building now, and furniture is expected to arrive the week of June 19.
They anticipate opening to the public on July 10, with a big celebration on September 15, featuring a ribbon cutting, a block party, and a thank you to the neighborhood residents, who have been without their heavily-used library for over a year.
Keep an eye out for more information at the ACLS website
Virtual Reality: Google Expeditions Kits
Now available for your use -
Google Expeditions kits
! Swim with sharks, tour international landmarks, visit outer space, walk through a museum, and more - without ever leaving your library.
Summer Reading Time!
Summer Reading is kicking into gear. Don't miss some of the spectacular things going on in western Maryland this season!
kicks off their Summer Reading Club on June 30th with Bright Star Touring Theatre's production of "Upcycled Cinderella" that focuses on Literature, Literacy and STEM. The tour will be in Oakland from 10:30-13:00 and Grantsville 4-5. The month of July will include special programs weekly at each branch.
Washington County Free Library
kicks off Summer Reading Club 2017, on June 1st! Everything is once again online through the Summer Reading Club website, Beanstack. Children, teens, and adults can earn free prizes just by logging their reading online this summer! In keeping with this year's theme of "Build a Better World," there will be programs related to building and construction (including having an actual crane at the SRC Kickoff Party on Friday, June 16th). They will also be giving back by turning old t-shirts into dog toys that will be donated to the Humane Society of Washington County on Friday, June 30th.
Allegany County Library System
is doing "Wednesdays with Us." Programs run the gamut from creative exploration into art, STEM and engineering exposure, and physical fun!
Arts POP, Engineering with Dr. Crawford, Zumba Fun, and many other activities for all ages and tastes.
Check out the links for more details!
We'd like to give a shout out to our Western Maryland Library partners who are celebrating an Anniversary in July and August. Way to go! It is a pleasure to be able to honor your years of service with the Libraries of Western Maryland.
Celebrating in July:
Celebrating in August:
- Chris Henry, ILL (WCFL) - 44 years
- Sharon Collis, Circulation (WCFL) - 44 years
- Delissa Key, Circulation (WCFL) - 40 years
- Louise Snurr, County Services - Smithsburg (WCFL) - 32 years
- Kim Lishia, Grantsville (RELGC) - 32 years
- Michele Liston, Friendsville (RELGC) - 29 years
- Mary Baykan, Administration (WCFL) - 22 years
- Joyce Higgins, County Services - Clear Spring (WCFL) - 16 years
- Regina Spiker, George's Creek (ACLS) - 10 years
- Matthew Frankenberry, Material Services (ACLS) - 7 years
- Valarie Stovall, Tech Processing (WCFL) - 5 years
- Adam Schoch, Oakland (RELGC) - 5 years
- Jodi Akers, Adult Services (WCFL) - 4 years
- Susanne Kight, Oakland (RELGC) - 3 years
- Michelle Richter, Oakland (RELGC) - 2 years
- Shaun Bryan, Circulation (WCFL) - 2 years
- Amanda Liss, Adult Services (WCFL) - 1 year
- Monica Spilis, County Services - Williamsport (WCFL) - 1 year
- Georgie Dawson , Administration (RELGC) - 33 years
- Connie Wilson, Frostburg (ACLS) - 33 years
- Lois Snyder, Children's Services (WCFL) - 18 years
- Harry Sterling, Adult Services (WCFL) - 17 years
- Bonnie Winters, Public Relations (RELGC) - 13 years
- Ellen Torrington, Material Services (ACLS) - 13 years
- Jason Armstrong, Administration (ACLS) - 11 years
- Merry Stinson, Circulation (WCFL) - 11 years
- Joni Reed, Programming (ACLS) - 10 years
- Kate Metzger, Programming (ACLS) - 9 years
- Bill Taylor, WMRL WCFL Tech Processing (WMRL) - 9 years
- Tammy Fearon, Programming (ACLS) - 8 years
- Katlyn Thomas, ILL (WCFL) - 4 years
- Sarah McGuire, South Cumberland (ACLS) - 3 years
- Shane Drake, Frostburg (ACLS) - 3 years
- Katelyn Morey, Adult Services (WCFL) - 1 year
- Karen Kroll, Adult Services (WCFL) - 1 year
- Tia Carpenter, Circulation (WCFL) - 1 year
- Charles Keller, County Services (WCFL) - 1 year
See what's new from the WMRL Staff!
Adding POW to your WOW!
Supporting the public libraries of Allegany, Garrett, and Washington counties.