|A reminder that if you have announcements for the newsletter or the bulletin, they must be sent to Katie at email@example.com no later than Tuesday at 12 noon.
Faith, Formation and Fellowship
How shall I repay the
Lord for all the good things he has done for me? -- Psalm 116:10
This Sunday is the Third Sunday of Easter and the appointed readings are
Acts 2:14a, 36-41
Psalm 116:1-3, 10-17
1 Peter 1:17-23
We invite you to take some time this week to read them in advance so that they can speak to you throughout the week. If you don't have a Bible nearby, you can find the passages at this website:
Sunday Morning's Lay Ministers
-- Thank you to the following parishioners for sharing their time and talent with the congregation this week. If you would like to become involved, please contact Pastor Debra at 847-732-9564 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Altar Guild: Julia Ferguson, Beth Johnson, Betsy Johnson
- Flower Guild: Virginia Beatty
- Ushers: Nancye Kirk, John Lucadamo, Doug Sondgeroth, Elsa Sondgeroth
- Acolytes: Mickey Loewenstein, Eva Sondgeroth, Asher Sondgeroth
- Lectors: Donna Richardson, Anne Heinz
- Eucharistic Ministers: Motoko Maegawa, Lynette Murphy, Alice Pappas
- Vestry Persons of the Day: Anne Heinz, Rima Lockwood
- Coffee Hour Snacks: 5th Sunday - Everyone!
Coffee Hour - Where Do Those Yummy Treats Come From?
St. Mark's has a tradition of sharing yummy treats with one another after worship. Rather than a sign-up, we simply ask that people bring treats according to a schedule based on last names. So, on the 1st Sunday of the month, we invite those whose last names begin with A through F; 2nd Sunday of the month, G - L; 3rd Sunday of the month, M - S; 4th Sunday of the month, T - Z; and 5th Sunday - everybody! There is no requirement to bring anything but you are encouraged to do so when it's "your week" and you are able to do so. Thanks.
Feast of St. Mark's!
We hope you'll join us Sunday night - April 30
- at 5 PM for a BBQ and at 7 PM for Choral Evensong & Concert. Who will be this year's Lion of the Year? Come and see . . . We still have a handful of tickets available. If you would like to attend but forgot to order your tickets, please contact Scott at
today. First come, first served!
Fifth Saturday Men's Breakfast -
The St. Mark's Men's Group will meet for breakfast this Saturday, April 29th at 7:30 AM at Walker Bros. on Green Bay Road. All men (and boys) of St. Mark's are welcome. Questions? Call Bruce Gaede at 847-274-0541.
Would you like to try out the choir for a short period of time to see what it's all about!? We hope so! Join the choir for rehearsals on Thursday evenings from 7:30 - 9 p.m. in the Choir Room (upstairs) beginning Thursday, May 4 as we prepare for the remaining Sundays of Easter, culminating with Pentecost on June 4. For more information, contact David at email@example.com or just "show up!" We'll save a seat for you.
Confirmation and Reception:
The Diocesan-wide service of Confirmation and Reception will take place at St. James Cathedral on Saturday, June 10 at 11 a.m. Adults (ages 16 and up) who would like to prepare for reception or confirmation in the Episcopal Church by the laying on of hands by our bishop should contact Pastor Debra, firstname.lastname@example.org. The community of St. Mark's looks forward to walking this path of faith with you.
Going Where The Youth Are
The Church is wherever God's people are gathered and for our youth that is often not at St. Mark's - the building - because they are involved in so many extra-curricular activities. Imagine the positive message we might share with our young people by Being Church where they are - at the ice rink, on the baseball diamond, at the debate club, at their concert. Let's Be Church Where the Youth Are! Take pictures, congratulate often, and remind our young people that they too are Being the Church wherever they are! If you have events to add on behalf of your young person, please email Pastor Debra,
- May 5 at 7 p.m., "Cirque Spectaculaire: A Collaboration of Artistic Athleticism," Robert Crown Center (tickets are $10 reserved, $9 general admission and can be purchased by calling 847-448-8258 or at the door), Neena
- May 6 at 6 p.m. "Cirque Spectaculaire" (see May 5 for details), Neena
- May 7 at 3 p.m. "Cirque Spectaculaire" (see May 5 for details), Neena
- April 29 and 30 at 8 a.m., MISSA Mallory Qualifier Regatta Chicago Yacht Club, Belmont Station, Austin
- May 4 at 5:45 p.m., Highland Park, Betsy
May 6 at 10:10 a.m., Skokie Playfields,
- May 9 at 5:45 p.m., Wescott School, Northbrook, Betsy
- May 13 at 9 a.m., Skokie Playfields, Kate J.
- May 13 at 12 noon, Techny Park, Betsy
- April 28 at 5 p.m., Niles West Water Polo Tournament at Maine East High School, Jack and Austin
- April 29, time TBD, Niles West Water Polo Tournament at Niles West High School, Jack
- May 11 at 6 p.m., Orrington School Auditorium, Eva (emcee role), Asher (hip hop dance), and maybe Elsa (dance)
Outreach and Social Justice
Midweek Lunch: Come and join us!
There are two weekly opportunities to serve our neighbors who struggle with hunger and homelessness. Every Tuesday from 6:00-6:30 pm, lunches are packed in the kitchen here at St. Mark's, and every Wednesday lunch is served at 11 a.m. On Wednesday, volunteers are asked to arrive by 10:00 a.m. and stay until 12:30 p.m. For more information and to volunteer, contact John Lucadamo at
On Tuesday, May 9 and on the second Tuesday of each month, Interfaith Action of Evanston teams up with the Greater Chicago Food Depository to bring free, fresh produce to our neighbors in need. The distribution takes place from 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. at the Robert Crown Center. Volunteers are needed from 8:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. If you are able to help out this month, you can sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4fafac2fab9-evanston3.
YWCA Stand Against Racism
This Friday join St. Mark's and the YWCA from 11:30 -11:55 a.m. as individuals and organizations from the community line up along Ridge Road
for a public stand against racism
. Arrive at St. Mark's by 11:30 a.m. or arrive early (11:15 a.m.) to make a sign for the Stand. Materials will be provided. The YWCA also encourages people to participate in post-Stand public discussions which will happen from 12 noon - 12:45 p.m. Two of our neighbors will be hosting discussions after the Stand: YWCA Evanston/North Shore (1215 Church) and Unitarian Church of Evanston (1330 Ridge).
Each month in 2017 we will feature a ministry of St. Mark's where we can "count what counts" because we are Bound Together in Christ. If you have a ministry at St. Mark's where we can "cou
nt what counts" (lunches packed or served, pounds of produce distributed, hours of candles burned, number of notes sung!) contact Katie Kuriyama at email@example.com so we can assign you a month!
Counting What Counts:
St. Mark's is the location for many gatherings in our community. In addition to the groups from St. Mark's that utilize church space on a weekly basis, St. Mark's shared space with 20 other community groups in the month of March! What a joy it is that our building can be a blessing to others.
If you have loved ones you would like added to the prayer list at any time, send an email to Pastor Debra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We bid your prayers for:
Bob Barr, Trish Barr, Astley Bent, Veronica Braithwaite, John Burnham, Tony Campise, Genevieve Costello, Karen Cornelius, Maryallen Estes, Caroline Frowe, Ann Lettner, Ayden Lettner, Charlie Lettner, Grace Lettner, Kathy Lettner, John Lucadamo, Donald McCrea, Bob Molumby, Jake Morris, Mary O'Dowd, Jan and Jeri Offutt, Casmir Szczepaniak, Luke Urbanowski, Danny White, Fareedun Ansari, Betty Augustinos, Lucy Augustinos, Paul Basenberg, Susan Murrell Castaneda, Marilyn Goede, Bill and Barbara Haswell, Olivia Heiting, Katie Iles, Joan and Sherwin, Jay Johnson, OJ Mabwa, Ahmed Mahmoud, Carl and Lindy Messier, Garrett Moody, Jim Riley and his family, Reg Ryan, Herman Schrock, Delores Sykes Hicks, Kelly Wheeler Szczepaniak, Tim and his family, Dorothy Waller.
We pray for the people in
the Diocese of Southeast Mexico and the Diocese of Renk
- Alison Walsh (3), Sandra Howard (5), Liz McElhatton (6), Ellen Bergman (7), Caroline Frowe (9), Dan Whitmore (9), Bob Barr (10), Holly Yanaga (11), Kendra Johnson (11), Jeremy Greene (16), Samuel Najem (18), Owen Baker (20), David Plank (21), Timothy Blue (23), Rudy Burke (23), Anna Holladay (4/25), Tom Durham (27), Holly Benz (28), R
ichard Brooks (28), Carrie King (29), Michelle Mbuki (30)
April Anniversaries: Milind and Blair Lele (3), Clark and Nasim Alexander (10), Gary and Liz McElhatton (19), Mike Schoen and Nathan Waller (26)
If we have missed your birthday or anniversary, please do let us know so we can correct the error. Send your name and date of birth to email@example.com
Congratulations to Owen McElhatton
for being awarded the Justin Wynn Award. Each spring, the Justin Wynn Fund honors two fourth graders from each of District 65's twelve elementary schools! Owen is brimming with potential as a future leader and St. Mark's is proud of his achievement!
Pastor Debra will be at the Kellogg Center for Nonprofit Management Monday, May 8 through Wednesday, May 10. During those three days, her response to phone and email messages may be a bit slower than usual. Please be patient.
Please wear your nametags. It's welcoming! And it helps us all converse and connect. If you need a nametag, please contact Katie (firstname.lastname@example.org)